Towing 4000kms with our Tesla Model Y…

Braggin Rights

Hey everyone!

We’ve recently purchased a Model Y and have been launching the boat around Long Point to endless questions at the ramp. So while going on our recent road trip to Nordic Point Lodge, which is an hour or so North of Dryden, we decided to make a video about it. Hope this helps if any of you are considering towing with an electric vehicle. I’ve got all the numbers as far as charging fees etc. at the end of the video.

Cheers,
Ryan & Family

I am a proponent of electric cars for commuter vehicles. The plan is to replace my wife's car with electric when the time comes.

Towing the boat with one never crossed my mind...

I'm on my second hybrid but totally undecided if I will have a third hybrid, full electric or go back to an ICE.

Time will tell.

Edit: I watched half the video. Very well done, informative and entertaining.

Your trip to the Soo was ages longer than my longest trip to Elwood Robinson Construction in the worst piece of equipment I was ever assigned.

I won't be following your lead @Braggin Rights
🌻

Last edited:
Wow that was a great video. Yea it doesn't have me convinced that towing with a Tesla is what I want to be doing.

I bought my old boat somewhere between Dallas and Houston and a buddy and I went to go pick it up over a weekend with my VW Jetta TDI. It was slow and we kept it in 4th gear mostly on the way home but it still got something like 700km per tank.

I have to park outside so I figure the thieves would have their way with the charging cord. Also I only have 100 amp service to my house and it's full. It would cost about $10,000 to get the 200 amp panel and charger installed and I would then still have the theft issue.

I am a proponent of electric cars for commuter vehicles. The plan is to replace my wife's car with electric when the time comes.

Towing the boat with one never crossed my mind...
Electric is 100% the way to go for everyday driving (non-towing). I will never go back to an ICE vehicle for that. It's just so much better in every way.... and I'm a truck/SUV kind of guy. But I wouldn't tow long distances ever again, unless it's a vacation and we're not in a rush. We'll have an ICE vehicle as our second vehicle for a while yet, when it comes to long distance towing.

I'm on my second hybrid but totally undecided if I will have a third hybrid, full electric or go back to an ICE.

Time will tell.

Edit: I watched half the video. Very well done, informative and entertaining.

Your trip to the Soo was ages longer than my longest trip to Elwood Robinson Construction in the worst piece of equipment I was ever assigned.

I won't be following your lead @Braggin Rights
🌻

Yeah it's painfully long when you're towing, and I wouldn't suggest doing it for long hauls like this.

But for everyday driving, if you need two vehicles and can afford it... Electric is 100% the way to go. I drive a lot for work, and last year we spent $2200.00 per month on gas. I did one work-trip to NYC since picking up the model Y. My round trip cost was $100 and I charged the client $950.00 in mileage. And when you're not towing you can do NYC with two short charge stops...

Watched it just night. That’s a looooonnng trip.

Crazy long.. but it was fun. Wouldn't do it again towing the the Tesla unless it was for a vacation and we weren't rushing. I would do it in a heartbeat though if we weren't towing. I can do Kenora and back for probably $300 all-in if I'm not towing. Maybe less... And you rarely have to stop to charge when you don't have the boat hooked up.

Wow that was a great video. Yea it doesn't have me convinced that towing with a Tesla is what I want to be doing.

I bought my old boat somewhere between Dallas and Houston and a buddy and I went to go pick it up over a weekend with my VW Jetta TDI. It was slow and we kept it in 4th gear mostly on the way home but it still got something like 700km per tank.
Yeah long distance towing with electric isn't something I would suggest... but it's great for launching around Long Point because we live in Port Rowan.

The Xterra is from 2006 so it wasn't built for range lol... it also has bigger tires and I don't drive slow when I'm towing with it... it's a perfect storm of inefficiency...lol 250K per tank is actually generous... I probably get closer to 200Kms per tank but didn't want people to think I was skewing the numbers, so I said 250K in the video.

A very cool adventure - thanks for posting. You have way more patience than I - and we just came back from the same part of the world - up at Goose Bay Camp. With the Bluewater Bridge effectively closed, we ran through Canada (no trailering) and it took 20 hours of driving, including two fill ups.

Not intended to hijack the thread - but I think relevant to the discussion on EVs in general - An interesting person summed up my thoughts on the current EV hysteria. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...pter-petrol-car-ev-environment-rowan-atkinson

I have some other interesting comments from members of the trucking industry, including one fellow who bought 18 straight EV straight trucks for local P&D. First night he plugged them in the local electrical company called and asked what he fudge they were doing over there - as charging the 18 trucks was drawing more power than the entire city they were located in. There is certainly a place for EVs - but if everyone bought one for their next vehicle - where would the power come from, where would the mechanics to maintain them come from, and what is the plan for the used batteries? Are they joining our nuclear waste under certain parts of SW Ont.
And interestingly enough, I see Ford just dropped the price of their electric pickup by about 10K.

@spincast I don't disagree but a lot of the arguments you hear against EVs sound a lot like the arguments against automobiles more than a century ago. The technology will improve, the infrastructure will be built and people will adapt. I do believe by the end of the century drivers will remember ICE powered autos the same way we remember horse driven carriages; a relic of the past.

Great video! Thanks for sharing. We have alot of growing pains as we transition to electric from ICE. Especially towing a boat up north. There are alot of nay sayers out there but this is our future and it will take time. When the first automobiles started to show up on the roads the cars were scaring the horses. Many municipalities passed bylaws restricting cars from entering town. In ten years most people had switched to automobiles.
I support electric vehicles 100%. We need them to cleanup the air in our cities and the environment. It's going to take longer for everyone to be able afford a new electric vehicle. As technology improves the cost and charging times will decrease. Right now we have a world wide shortage of batteries and resources which is why I have time to go on Stomps, go camping and go fishing. I'm laidoff waiting for more electric batteries to arrive. So we will have to wait longer and keep on fishing! Tight lines.

There's a reason why Toyota hasn't embraced the entire EV thing and you have to remember they brought out hybrids. And consider they are probably the most environmentally friendly auto producer.

Great video, love watching the trips. Unfortunately EV is already becoming antiquated technology. Ford is currently working on a hydrogen ICE. Anyhow, the Xterra gets horrible mileage at 32l/100k. My f150 gets about 15/100 with the boat. Factoring in all the stops, adding 10 hours to the trip (20) total, adding additional hotel stops, the Tesla is getting more expensive. Also unless extending the trip, you potentially loose fishing time.
For myself, EV is far from perfect. There is no less pollution generated by EV compared to other vehicles. Not a rant on either or, you make your own choices.
Again, great video.

Electric vehicles are great. I have a few friends with them the torque is second to none.
However even an electric vehicle will come with environmental impact, no emissions but more environmental impact in the manufacturing process. To produce 2000lbs of lithium requires almost 2 million tones of water currently.! So as demand rises….then what? lithium mining is rapidly becoming a big concern globally but demand and market is likely to trump epa for preserving certain sites.I hope the world makes the right decision for all of our futures.
Again I’m all for the right technology but Evs are still made with many petroleum based products and the manufacturing side of these batteries is currently hushed.

I vote hydrogen lol.

A very cool adventure - thanks for posting. You have way more patience than I - and we just came back from the same part of the world - up at Goose Bay Camp. With the Bluewater Bridge effectively closed, we ran through Canada (no trailering) and it took 20 hours of driving, including two fill ups.

Not intended to hijack the thread - but I think relevant to the discussion on EVs in general - An interesting person summed up my thoughts on the current EV hysteria. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...pter-petrol-car-ev-environment-rowan-atkinson

I have some other interesting comments from members of the trucking industry, including one fellow who bought 18 straight EV straight trucks for local P&D. First night he plugged them in the local electrical company called and asked what he fudge they were doing over there - as charging the 18 trucks was drawing more power than the entire city they were located in. There is certainly a place for EVs - but if everyone bought one for their next vehicle - where would the power come from, where would the mechanics to maintain them come from, and what is the plan for the used batteries? Are they joining our nuclear waste under certain parts of SW Ont.
And interestingly enough, I see Ford just dropped the price of their electric pickup by about 10K.

Zero worries on highjacking the thread at all! It's all good conversation!!

I could have done this same trip with likely with only three stops if I really wanted to. (without towing the boat) I can 529kms when I'm not towing... so with three stops at 500kms, 1000kms, 1500 kms and then arrive at the lodge with a nearly dead battery and charge for free at the cabin.... It's the boat that really made it touch... 16 stops as opposed to 3 or 4.. lol

I'll post below why we went electric....

Great informative video. Cudos for giving that a try.

Thanks dude! Appreciate it!

@spincast I don't disagree but a lot of the arguments you hear against EVs sound a lot like the arguments against automobiles more than a century ago. The technology will improve, the infrastructure will be built and people will adapt. I do believe by the end of the century drivers will remember ICE powered autos the same way we remember horse driven carriages; a relic of the past.

I couldn't agree more with regards to you thoughts on what people will think of gas vehicles come the end of the century, but I don't think it's going to take that long. I don't think you'll be able to buy an ICE vehicle in 20 years, aside from specialty vehicles. I could be dead wrong on that but that's my belief... everyone I know who has tried one says they'll never go back to ICE.... We will keep an ICE car in the family for the time being, literally just for towing purposes.

Great video! Thanks for sharing. We have alot of growing pains as we transition to electric from ICE. Especially towing a boat up north. There are alot of nay sayers out there but this is our future and it will take time. When the first automobiles started to show up on the roads the cars were scaring the horses. Many municipalities passed bylaws restricting cars from entering town. In ten years most people had switched to automobiles.
I support electric vehicles 100%. We need them to cleanup the air in our cities and the environment. It's going to take longer for everyone to be able afford a new electric vehicle. As technology improves the cost and charging times will decrease. Right now we have a world wide shortage of batteries and resources which is why I have time to go on Stomps, go camping and go fishing. I'm laidoff waiting for more electric batteries to arrive. So we will have to wait longer and keep on fishing! Tight lines.

Yeah I think you're 100% right with all of this. The one thing though, is that there isn't a shortage of battery resources, but there is a massive shortage of companies who are currently refining it. Musk has publicly asked someone, anyone to start a company who is willing to refine it because they'll make a fortune. He didn't want to get into starting another business, but nobody was willing to really ramp up refining production so he's started his own refinery in order to keep up with his own needs at Tesla. I will catch up, but it might take time... I hope you're able to get back to work sooner than later..and that you save some fish for the rest of us! hahaha

There's a reason why Toyota hasn't embraced the entire EV thing and you have to remember they brought out hybrids. And consider they are probably the most environmentally friendly auto producer.

They'll go EV soon enough... They literally forced their CEO to resign over the fact that their EV program was so far behind.

That said I'm not a hardcore EV fanboy...This is just what I think will happen. And we will have an ICE vehicle for at least another decade as our second vehicle... The one we currently own has been using the same tank of gas for 6+ weeks though! lol But yeah... My experience has been 100% positive as an EV owner... minus town the boat 2000Kms through the wilderness. haha

Great video, love watching the trips. Unfortunately EV is already becoming antiquated technology. Ford is currently working on a hydrogen ICE. Anyhow, the Xterra gets horrible mileage at 32l/100k. My f150 gets about 15/100 with the boat. Factoring in all the stops, adding 10 hours to the trip (20) total, adding additional hotel stops, the Tesla is getting more expensive. Also unless extending the trip, you potentially loose fishing time.
For myself, EV is far from perfect. There is no less pollution generated by EV compared to other vehicles. Not a rant on either or, you make your own choices.
Again, great video.
Thanks for the love! And yeah, the Xterra is brutal.... But yeah... it's from 2006, isn't in perfect condition and it has pretty big tires. I also rip at like 125kms hr when I'm towing with it...

I think it's to each their own, like you said. EV's actually generate more pollution currently while being built, but over time they generate less pollution... I think it was Volvo who did a study on it and released the information. There's a YouTube vid out there on it someplace.

And yeah like you said, to each their own. Towing the boat to a destination like this isn't ideal at all. But for any other family trips without towing, our Tesla is hands down the way to go for us. We could do Florida and back for like $300 tops... and won't really lose any time, or have to stay in any hotels when compared to a gas car. It's just the boat that wrecked it. My usual charges take about 15 minutes when I'm not towing.

Canada's contribution to global warming is less than 1% of the global neighbourhood, until China , Russia and India step up anything we do will make little to no difference in global warming, sorry to say.

yeah I'm not really driving an electric car to save the world... it's to save my pocket book! lol (I drive a lot for work... explanation below)

Electric vehicles are great. I have a few friends with them the torque is second to none.
However even an electric vehicle will come with environmental impact, no emissions but more environmental impact in the manufacturing process. To produce 2000lbs of lithium requires almost 2 million tones of water currently.! So as demand rises….then what? lithium mining is rapidly becoming a big concern globally but demand and market is likely to trump epa for preserving certain sites.I hope the world makes the right decision for all of our futures.
Again I’m all for the right technology but Evs are still made with many petroleum based products and the manufacturing side of these batteries is currently hushed.

I vote hydrogen lol.

We definitely have plenty of resources to accommodate demand in the future, the current problem is keeping up with mining and refining. My hope is that they're able to mine and refine the products with the environment in mind, and long-term they will be able to recycle nearly all of the materials that go into the batteries. There's already a couple of companies in the USA who are doing amazing work with recycling batteries. People often forget that drilling, refining and moving oil/gas around the world isn't pollution free either. And you can't recycle gas once it's been burned. There's definitely arguments to be made on both sides of the fence... and for the time being I think there's a place for both ICE and EV vehicles...

Hydrogen would be awesome!!! lol

LASTLY guys,

I never really mentioned it in the video.... but here's why we went EV as our primary family hauler and vehicle for me to use for work purposes....

Last year we spent $2200.00 on average per month at the gas pumps, and both of our cars were getting way too old... so we had to replace one. Combine a $500.00 per month car payment (I think that's being conservative in today's day and age) with $2200.00 in gas and it was just too much. I do have a higher car payment now at around $850.00, but my "fuel consumption" has gone down drastically. My electricity bill for the first period was only $80.00 higher than usual. Also, I drove to NYC for work and spent about $100.00 at superchargers, and charged my client the usual .58 cents per KM... So I charged them $900.00 and spent $800.00... My car payment was taken care of in just one shoot.

So for us it allowed us to get into a brand new vehicle, and we're saving literally thousands of dollars per year... no brainer on my end.

Hi all,
Recently, Toyota just changed their CEO (Mr. Toyoda) as he was against the EV's change. They realized they were peeing against the wind. The new CEO is all in for the future.
Regards,

Last edited:
Thank you for doing this video, with real numbers.
I was thinking to buy the Tesla Y, but it wouldn't make sense financialy because yearly drive is around 10,000 km.
On a side note, last year we towed the 16 ft Lund boat around lake Huron and Superior with Hyundai Palisade and the mileage was around 11 liters per 100 km.
Thanks again.

I don't think you'll be able to buy an ICE vehicle in 20 years, aside from specialty vehicles.

Yea, I meant the end of the century when the last ICE vehicles would have aged out and then the ICE would be relegated to history.

I don't think the 2030 thing will happen. We need to figure out how to generate a lot more electricity and how to move it before that happens.

My bet: nuclear fusion. Tidal power hydrogen looks exciting too.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks