Tough weekend at lighthouse cove

Walter Fishonn

Buddy got one ski and I got one pike on Friday and Nada yesterday and today. Fished the mouth mostly (casting) and lots being caught Friday but slow all around after that. Not many seemed to be getting them trolling and those who did seemed to hook up in the river. Sad part was my pike was likely my PB but I was so focussed on getting a ski that I didn't take the time to appreciate the catch. Water was quite cloudy with about a foot of visibility Saturday onward.

I was there last sun and trolled from belle river to Thames river. Never caught a single musky in 9hrs of trolling. Went 6’-12’ even did a little in 20’ and nada. After couple hrs decided to put out my water wolf cams.....didn’t mark a single fish on them! Hr before calling it quits we got a nice smallie on a shallow raider. I contacted a guide few days later and got informed it’s been very tough fishing for everyone in the lake lately. Definitely crushed my confidence but will try to get out again before season ends Dec 15th.

They are around. Hope they are hungry for you over next few days. Think I'll have to try and get back down here at least once more before boat goes away

Attachments

• 20201010_185207.jpg
    20201010_185207.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 20201012_065154.jpg
    20201012_065154.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20201012_065120.jpg
    20201012_065120.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20201008_190422.jpg
    20201008_190422.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 89
Not great news.
Heading up this Saturday for a week.
Seems like it's been either hit or miss this year.
Hopefully I will have some pictures of Musky next week for u guys

First off, we fished with Ian Jones yesterday, he is an awesome guide which really helps. We trolled the river and the mouth and got fish in both. Both 10" hard baits and Plastics got fish but everything was up high in the column, baits just below surface.
Hopefully we can find some bigger fish today but it was nice to get a few yesterday before heading off on our own today.

Nice! Ian's a good guy and a very knowledgeable fisherman and definitely knows the fall muskie paterns, thought that set up looked familiar and there's definitely some good lure choices sitting in the boat!

The bite is definitely off this year.
I've been down twice. Skunked the first trip and didn't see one fish pulled in.
2nd trip we went 1 for 2 trolling the river.
Got a nice 45 incher to put my buddy onto his first ski.
Good luck to everyone and stay safe. It can be a gong show down there.

Attachments

• Resized_20201006_121545.jpeg
    Resized_20201006_121545.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 28
Gong show as in being anchored at the mouth with charters bobing and weaving in and out with other guys blasting full tilt in and out .... Or trolling While guys from shore are dropping their lures 6 inches from your trolling lines lol.

So my buddy and I had a debate over the cuts on the pike I got. I figured it was hit by a prop but after he sent me this video I think he might have been right saying it was a bigger ski that had bit it

Ian Jones of fish lsc is always a great time no matter what your fishing for with him from. Slab crappie to jigging the d or. Chasing mega muskie. 👍👍👍👍👍
Highly recommend him.

We didn't do so well today. Went 1 for 2 with a 40" landed. Everybody else was slower today too, the weather is far too nice. Our fish today both hit a black and orange Chewie but we trolled everything we had used successfully yesterday with no results. One more kick at the can tomorrow, pray for gnarly weather!

IMG_20201013_1011523.jpg

Last edited:
Still better then a skunk and a nice mid size fish!! That's fishing though lol. Put alot of hours on them waters as well as the main lake over the years for muskie both casting and trolling, some days they'll take anything and others you've got to work for them. Tiny little variations in speed, depth, presentation and lure colors can make all the differences but some days you get them some days you don't. Definitely fish around that area but lots of pressure too which can definitely change the game alot.

2 for 2 today early but never saw a fish caught after 9am so we headed home around noon. All fish we saw were caught near the mouth but it was plugged with boats and weeds so it was pretty tough going.
Fun 3 days and we did okay for rookies so are pretty happy with our results. Ian Jones at FishLSC charters really helped us accelerate our learning, he's a great teacher and guide if you can get him. IMG_20201014_0908584.jpgIMG_20201014_0909037.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work... we’re you able to troll without weed guards and/or snap weight to keep the weeds from your lure?

And, silly question... Are there ‘no fish’ to be found in the ’main lake’ this time of year (not river or river mouth)

Thanks in advance!

Back