Tough Day out of st williams

LongPointBoysSportfishing

First day out this year on erie. Went out of st Williams and was planning to get out close to ec10 (glad we didn't). made it out past the crowd and saw some sketchy ice so we set up before it. Pulled a nice jumbo in immediately then it was slow Pickens for the next couple hours. Then all of a sudden water came up through our holes and the ice shifted a good foot. A crack opened up about 20 feet from our hut and was open water. Saw everyone else out of there huts and had a few guys come over to us hahah Scared the hell out of us and we packed up as a couple others did lol. slow day, winds were nasty and ice was moving. made it off the ice fine ended up with 10 decent fish. not terrible and much nicer drive home than simcoe. stay safe out there!

first thing this am was good then died. And that pressure crack was like a earth quake I have friends that live in the old funny farm and they texted me right after it happened cause it even shook there cottage.

Last edited:
The last time I was out when the ice heaved my buddy Paul decided to take his afternoon snooze sprawled out on the ice. I've never seen anyone wake up and jump to their feet in the same second before. I think I peed a little laughing my guts out at the look on his face.

First day out this year on erie. Went out of st Williams and was planning to get out close to ec10 (glad we didn't). made it out past the crowd and saw some sketchy ice so we set up before it. Pulled a nice jumbo in immediately then it was slow Pickens for the next couple hours. Then all of a sudden water came up through our holes and the ice shifted a good foot. A crack opened up about 20 feet from our hut and was open water. Saw everyone else out of there huts and had a few guys come over to us hahah Scared the hell out of us and we packed up as a couple others did lol. slow day, winds were nasty and ice was moving. made it off the ice fine ended up with 10 decent fish. not terrible and much nicer drive home than simcoe. stay safe out there!
@big tease that sure was a load crack on the bay. We were fishing out of the old Cut about 2 km out when it happened. We could here the cracking sound heading for the north shore and our water in our holes actually came up also.

Ho ya we felt it 1.7 kms straight out of booths harbour we just Finnished set up than boom ice shifted just about knocked me off my feet, we both looked at each other wtf, in the 30 years that was the worst I’ve or my friend ever experienced, on the way back in we found the pressure crack had to be opened 10 feet wide It wasn’t there on the way out ice was a solid 12” at 1.7 km it was 10” thick.
Crack was just on the other side of the village of huts.

Ho ya we felt it 1.7 kms straight out of booths harbour we just Finnished set up than boom ice shifted just about knocked me off my feet, we both looked at each other wtf, in the 30 years that was the worst I’ve or my friend ever experienced, on the way back in we found the pressure crack had to be opened 10 feet wide It wasn’t there on the way out ice was a solid 12” at 1.7 km it was 10” thick.
Crack was just on the other side of the village of huts.

yea that was the worst one I have ever felt on the ice as well got damn lucky as we were setup close to where it opened up, with an atv and trailer nearby.. We had a good laugh about it but always gotta be on your toes with powerful lake Erie haha

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks