Off Topic Toronto Sportsmen Show👎👎👎

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Last minute decision that Brandon wanted to do the show. Very disappointed in this years show. Only purchased made was for my furry best friend Remi, a camo 4’ dog leash. He will be happy🦮

71967503010__6C7D3A8B-CC1E-4B9F-AA72-5E5CA94A7E8A.jpeg

Been sucked in year after year thinking u could find deals at the show but always been disappointed too.
Don't have to worry about that anymore with moving up North.
Too bad cause it could be great if they made it worth while.

Is the purpose of the show not to expose end users to the latest technology and models as well as attend seminars. There seems to be this false perception that its a retail show in order to get "deals" at. After the cost of the show, putting employees up in hotels I trust retailers are not interested in dropping margin. They can do that on a web site without all the hassell.

Is the purpose of the show not to expose end users to the latest technology and models as well as attend seminars. There seems to be this false perception that its a retail show in order to get "deals" at. After the cost of the show, putting employees up in hotels I trust retailers are not interested in dropping margin. They can do that on a web site without all the hassell.
Nah not a false perception.. typically there is show exclusive deals that are to attract people to attend the show
More people attend the show more exposure your product gets..
more exposure equals more sales
More sales equals more money..

No where in that equation is there dropping margins and a net loss to have a booth at a show.. otherwise the idea would of died long ago and they would not exist
do you need it explained any better?

its all you said plus the deals i remember my dad and uncles coming out with 3 new boats motors and trailers rods bait but that was 55 plus years ago.

Both the toronto fishing show and sportmans shows have been duds for years and years IMHO. The Future is a combination of fishing swaps and shows like the one at woodstock 2 weeks ago, the ancaster hamilton bassmasters swap this past sunday and the greatest of all the up coming Cancast fishing show and swap April 7th in Peterborough. Plus the other 6-8 smaller swaps that are popping up all over the place now. Just my 2 cents

Nah not a false perception.. typically there is show exclusive deals that are to attract people to attend the show
More people attend the show more exposure your product gets..
more exposure equals more sales
More sales equals more money..

No where in that equation is there dropping margins and a net loss to have a booth at a show.. otherwise the idea would of died long ago and they would not exist
do you need it explained any better?

Last edited:
Both the toronto fishing show and sportmans shows have been duds for years and years IMHO. The Future is a combination of fishing swaps and shows like the one at woodstock 2 weeks ago, the ancaster hamilton bassmasters swap this past sunday and the greatest of all the up coming Cancast fishing show and swap April 7th in Peterborough. Plus the other 6-8 smaller swaps that are popping up all over the place now. Just my 2 cents

I passed on the invite to set up tables at the Woodstock show when I was approached at my tables in Pt Rowan. The price per table at Woodstock vs Rowan was substantially higher.

There is a reason vendors have dropped out from the London and Hamilton boat shows years ago, and why they were canceled this year.

I went to the Hamilton bass masters swap last weekend with the entire family and had a great time. We don’t bother with the big shows anymore. Waste of time!

I was at the Toronto show yesterday..it has always been a spring tradition. Other than a $6 order of crappy fries, I purchased zero. The fishing tackle vendors had high prices even with the 15% off. Very little hunting stuff. Lots of atvs, trailers, some boats. I got a bag full of fishing lodge and fly in info..then went home. Good exercise but thats it. The Woodstock show was better for purchases.

Our lab just had a litter of pups and the male we bred her with was competing yesterday in the retriever trials. I took the afternoon off work and went down to watch. The only money I spent was on a window sticker for the truck and a couple hats for my son at the CCFR booth

Did get my 60 hp Evinrude E-Tec at show prices from Don Hyde 6 years ago and I paid way less than I was quoted by Proctor . Evinrude also kicked in with a free choice of props - so stainless steel of course !

These show make big money for the promotors/show organizers off the entry fees and the fees paid by the retailers to be there.
The shows cost the retailers that attend big money and I think that's why many are not offering the "deals" anymore with less and less of them attending as well.

Take a trip to the Ultimate Fishing Show in Novi Michigan next Jan. We’ve been 6 years (except during Covid) and never disappointed
@GPS lve been to that show a couple of times and it is good. Last time I was there I bought an optic red dot scope for my hi power pellet gun and had a visit with Timber Wolf Lodge owners where I went to help out.

Reactions: GPS
Wow guys .. enough of the Debbie downers .. had the chance to head out for breakfasts and meet up for a good time with friends and see the teck and gear we love to do ... couple of years ago ... lock down can't do this can't do that ... so embrace the fact that we can get out and see and explore the sports we love .... yes the cost has gone up and if it wasn't for the retailers and outfitter making the effort to put on a show for us to enjoy and get off the couch .. stay at home and don't bitch... we r not living 55 years ago ... when we enjoyed better times and lower cost ... but you have to embrace the fact that this is the kick off to a new season and look forward to getting out and enjoy the 2024 fishing and hunting season ... I wish everyone tight lines and one shot one kill... all the best in 2024season ..

The Woodstock show I’d personally give it a 7 out of 10. Very few tables that were there for tackle swaps and part of the advertising was just that. If they want to truely have a tackle swap then make table prices reasonable. The St. Catherine’s tackle swap had a ton of tables with used gear to be bought at a reasonable price. Again just my personal perspective.

$60 per table at Woodstock vs $15 per table in Pt Rowan is the reason I chose not to take up the offer to attend the Woodstock show.
I was selling brand new tackle for half retail price and gently used items for even less. Sales were ok, It paid for my tables, gas, time, etc... but not enough to justify setting up in Woodstock. I met quite a few 68 members at the Rowan sale, handed out a bunch of free 68 beer coasters and then checked my trailer to make the drive worthwhile. Just my two cents being on the vendor side of the table.

I went and had a great time, got to talk to a few bait manufacturers that I like and ask them how to use there lures properly and gained a lot of insight to make me a better fisherman. Also found some deals on gear so all good for me and will go again for sure next year its been a big improvement since they moved to the international centre.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks