Too Early ?

Magnum 3

Tried our hand at some first time pike fishing . Caught 1 . We got a late start ... MOTOR PROBLEMS ! So probably started casting and trolling by noon . Fog had burnt off by then , but was still mostly cloudy and when we got back to shore , temp . in the truck read a bomby 3 degrees . Threw buck tails , hard baits , spoons and trolled for a while . Went from west of millionaire's east then over to Bait Island and the marsh but ran out of time . I would have liked to work around Booth's and Turkey Pt. We're newbies to the spring pike thing sooo .... any thoughts . Too early , wrong lures , need an earlier launch ? What about inlets like the Marina channels . I remember waaayyyy back in the day when ( 70's ) , you could walk on the pike along the ditches of the causeway or the marsh backwaters on the way to the park .

What was water temp if you don't mind me asking. I myself say it needs to warm up a bit. But I'm no pro .

What was water temp if you don't mind me asking. I myself say it needs to warm up a bit. But I'm no pro .
Honestly don't know but had just read an article saying to get started as soon as ice was out and we had the itch . I remember they use to be spearing and bow fishing around March , April and the pike where there . You can catch them in the bay when you ice fish . Don't know how much the temp matters right now . Just read something that said to stay shallow where the water warms quicker .

try using bigger jigs and you can fish them slower until the water warms up a bit

Water temps are pretty much the same as they are with ice on top -- the fish will be acting the same way they do with ice. Slow. More active fish will be near the warmer water which is usually shallow and they can see you coming. But if you watch the guys dropping nets near Port Rowan you will find out that there are a lot a of fish out there... it is a lot more work to use lures instead of nets.

If you want more action go to Grimsby area of Lake Ontario or Niagara River. Talk to the guys at Grimsby Tackle. Browns are in close to shore... likely everything else is as well.

Temps were 46 at the mouth of big creek last wednesday. I would imagine that with this rain and decent temps we will be into the 50s (creek)by the weekend and 45 in the bay.
You can just tell when its dead cold, and it was dead cold on wednesday. There were clouds of minnows everywhere and they were relaxed and bold in their movements. Obviously they had nothing to worry about but i would imagine that is about to change.
Fished another creek for cats yesterday without a sniff. Heard the suckers are in though.

Temps were 46 at the mouth of big creek last wednesday. I would imagine that with this rain and decent temps we will be into the 50s (creek)by the weekend and 45 in the bay.
You can just tell when its dead cold, and it was dead cold on wednesday. There were clouds of minnows everywhere and they were relaxed and bold in their movements. Obviously they had nothing to worry about but i would imagine that is about to change.
Fished another creek for cats yesterday without a sniff. Heard the suckers are in though.
Love spring sucker fishing!! Thanks for the heads up....I'll have to check my spots after all this rain and report back

Was out Saturday out of old cut. Water temp was 38 in channels, and 41 in shallows out to Millionaires. No fish , but missed a soft nudge on jerk bait.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks