Off Topic Tired Ol' Vaccum Sealer

hvyhaul

Lately I've been dealing with my Foodsaver working really well for the first couple of bags and then it doesn't vaccum well without a nap. Then good vaccum for another couple and then another nap.

I'm going to give it a closer look, but it is five years old, so I'm not against a replacement/upgrade.

Considering a Chamber version possibly for the next one.

Research time as by the look of the winds, any usage will be caused by The Wife finding a bargain at the grocery store and not a trip out on Erie. 😔🌻

My Foodsaver is 10 or 12 and. Few years ago it wouldn’t pull a good vacuum so I ordered the two foam gaskets that fit together over the bag edge. Made it new again. Might be worth a try if that’s the same issue as you’re having

Already looked into that @GPS the fm5380 and many others have non-replacable gaskets.

First thing I thought would help.☹️🌻

My first foodsaver crapped out after a few years, replaced the gaskets and good again until the latch broke.. bought another witch now is my backup . I picked up a pro series from Cabela's last year on for half price,
seems to work well and no issues yet. Good luck on your next unit !

You can try and give the gaskets a wipe with a damp cloth periodically. What I did with my old one was take it apart to see how it works and if I could fix it then sunk a 3 pointer into the trash.

Flex Pack Shop

I switched to a chamber style vac master vp215. It is unreal, completely different.
Chamber sealers are more money but bags are a lot cheaper mine are about .08 per bag.
I seal all my fish and wild game with it. No worries about poor seal. It’s a purchase up front but I highly recommend it.
The only thing some people not like is that it’s about 75 pounds so not very portable.

I went with the least fanciest one I could find has lasted a few years now

It replaced a fancy food saver with all the bells and whistles that buggered off after 1 years use.

in between sealing I always leave my lid up to keep it cool, if I do a bunch and do give it a break. I always give the seals a wipe down after every seal with a paper towel in case some fish juice got sucked out or on the outside of the bag while stuffing the fish into bag.

Wow! Just checked Amazon and couldn't believe there are so many different bag suppliers!
Are some better than others?

thanks

This is the Most recent purchase I bought from. I don’t have a preference of brand other than bpa free. I will say these are nice bags haven’t had an issue. Keep an eye on the bags they will randomly go on sale.I bought the 11”.

1695658466190.png

I find the pre made bags sometimes hard to seal, where the fold/tuck in is there is 4 layers of bag to try to seal through and sometimes I don't get a good seal at all.

Just finished up packaging the last pepper's from our garden. This old foodsaver has lots of hours on it and still going strong. Would definitely buy another. Like the Cuisinart bags from Canadian Tire, good quality.

Attachments

• IMG_20230926_193001.jpg
    IMG_20230926_193001.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 21
Chamber vacs are a game changer especially if you are packaging wet foods, soups and stews. The seal is much better when liquid is not being sucked through it.

Lately I've been dealing with my Foodsaver working really well for the first couple of bags and then it doesn't vaccum well without a nap. Then good vaccum for another couple and then another nap.

I'm going to give it a closer look, but it is five years old, so I'm not against a replacement/upgrade.

Considering a Chamber version possibly for the next one.

Research time as by the look of the winds, any usage will be caused by The Wife finding a bargain at the grocery store and not a trip out on Erie. 😔🌻
Turn the old foam gaskets over. Works for a year or two. Break down and order a replacement pair. I did that 2-3 years ago cost 7+4.5 shipping. Less than buying a whole new machine.
Also wipe with clean damp cloth foam, after use and lightly use a good vegetable oil to keep them soft.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks