tire reef ?

dan mayer

does anyone know where the tire reef is ? The buoy is gone that used to mark it . I wanted to dive it the other day but couldn't find it with the gps co-ordinates provided by a dive site. Geo-diving I think .Any help would be appreciated .Thanks.

Tom Millar who was the inspiration, engineer and keeper of the reef passed away a few years ago and so did the marker buoy. If you have the GPS coordinates it may be as good as it gets.

Pretty sure these are the coordinates
Don't shoot me if I'm off, the first coordinates are off of my gps, but the second and third set are calculated from the first set incase you needed that type

In degrees
Latitude 42.684050
Longitude -80.308330

In deg-min
Latitude 42 41.04300
Longitude -80 18.49980

In deg-min-sec
Latitude 42 41 2.58
Longitude -80 18 29.99

Latitude will be in North measurements, & longitude will be in West measurements of course

It's on about 22' of water
I used to look for the road that lead up to the golf course (back road out of turkey point) and drive out to 22'
Good luck!

Last edited:
ok thanks pretty sure those are the same co0ordinates. I'll have to try again.You would think 1500 tires would be easy to find.

Tom Millar who was the inspiration, engineer and keeper of the reef passed away a few years ago and so did the marker buoy. If you have the GPS coordinates it may be as good as it gets.

I was there last summer and there was definitely a buoy marking the reef at the time.

I'm wondering if all the ice from last winter would have ripped it off?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks