Tips on the Niagara bar?

FlyingViking

Thinking about pulling a “working from home” day next week…..

Have only fished the Niagara region once. And it wasn’t pretty.

Any of you folks have any pointers or direction for coho, bows, lakers etc, etc?

I just steam cleaned the boat’s carpets today and need to get the stank back

It's spring. Mud lines. Search for warm green water. It moves every day. Pick your launch, hunt. Shallow for browns out to 50 for lakers. Body baits. Clear sky, natural colors. Dark sky, bright colors. Rattles in the mud.

Careful near the border if you don't have a US license or have weed . Small cranks in shallow for browns but you'll do better on Lakers out a bit. I'd still run a shallow line with smaller bait if laker fishing.

I would launch at the St Catharines Game&Fish ramp and head west towards Jordon, from Charle's Daily Park right past Jordon harbor in less then 20' of water. The water warms up first in this area due to 15th and 16th mile creek as well as Jordon Harbor. This is a good early spring area for Browns and Coho, use J9 rapalas all colors work or bombers, AC shinners and other cranks. When you hook up keep trolling around that area, keep an eye on your surface temp at 1 or 2 degree difference of warmer water can hold the majority of fish. Once you find them fishing can be excellent.

Another option is St Catharines Marina in Port Weller, start trolling right from when you clear the Marina right up and along the canal spit and then circle and stay in the Bay. The water warms up here early as well especially if we have had a lot of SW wind, the canal protects the Bay and the water remains warm.

Back