Tips for the occasional Erie Troller

Reef Runner

Hello All,

We don't always catch our limit but we always seem to catch fish. There are lots of fish out their right now and we heard a lot of down and desperate sounding radio chatter from guys that were out for their first time this year this past weekend and I thought I would share some tips that have always worked for us. We go from Port Bruce or Port Burwell One other note, is to remember that many of the guys reporting big catches could have 8 to 10 rods out against your 2 - 4 rods.

First of all it sounds like everyone is using the right lures and rigs - hot ones right now are anything copper with splashes of bright colours.

Tips:
Check this board before heading out for the different setups - everyone doesn't have Jet Divers, Planner Boards, down riggers, dipseys, and fish are being caught right now off of everything.
Ask the guys at the Marina what depth you should be starting in.
Cruise out until you see boats trolling and setup with what you have to use - the fish are down at least 40 feet right now which is a good place to start.
If you don't have a fish in the boat after 1 hr of being setup - check your lures - put them out another 20 feet to 40 feet this time and troll for another hour.
If you catch any walleye during the first 2 hours you should be adjusting the rods to closely match the rod that caught fish.
Mark the spot on your GPS and troll over it at least 3 times before continuing on.
Don't troll in a straight line you should be going back and forth to put some action on your lures.
If after 2 hrs you still do not have any fish - Pack up and move about a 5 min boat ride away from the direction you have been trolling and setup again - start the process over again.
If after 4 hrs you haven't caught any fish - enjoy the boat ride there is always another day and you didn't have to be at work.

Hope these tips help.

Tight Lines,
Reef Runner

Thanks Dave,
Hopefully the tips will help. I think when it is calm it is especially important to not troll in a straight line because when there is a little chop on the water it does the same thing and is harder to drive in a straight line and puts the extra little bit of action on your lures entising the fish to strike.

Thank you for all of your great posts and I am sure they have helped many people catch more fish.
Cheers, Stephen

those are great tips @Reef Runner , especially the part about not trolling in straight lines
I catch more fish when its choppier as I have a harder time keeping the boat straight , lol
thanks to everyone that provides tips .. we all benifit from them ...

as one of the newbies out there much appreciated. we caught 3 in about 4 hours on sunday which I thought was ok given really had limited idea what I was doing. ran everything on worm harness but sounds like hard baits and spoons might be more productive.....did a lot of zig zag formations and playing with line depths and lengths off line weights and dipsys.

all in good fun and hoping to try again this coming weekend!!

thanks you all you guys that are more than helpful and willing to share....it is much appreciated.

Glad to help anytime - it is a big lake and there are lots of fish to be had.
I am hoping to be out this weekend out of Port Bruce for the Straightline Anglers annual Walleye Derby. Good luck everyone.

Cheers,
Reef Runner

thxs for the info I need as much help as I can get lol

X2. Good tips.

The thing I learned this year that is very important is trolling speed. I was trolling too slow at 1.5 to 2 MPH. That speed is perfect for pulling worm harnesses but I notices from reading here to get the body and spoon baits to do what they were designed too do 2.5 to 3.5 is the number. I put the lure in the water beside the boat then watch it and adjust the trolling speed until it does what it should be doing. Amazing what .5 MPH difference can be. I was told the slower speed was better then realized the guys on the east end here grew up pulling harnesses.

X2. Good tips.

The thing I learned this year that is very important is trolling speed. I was trolling too slow at 1.5 to 2 MPH. That speed is perfect for pulling worm harnesses but I notices from reading here to get the body and spoon baits to do what they were designed too do 2.5 to 3.5 is the number. I put the lure in the water beside the boat then watch it and adjust the trolling speed until it does what it should be doing. Amazing what .5 MPH difference can be. I was told the slower speed was better then realized the guys on the east end here grew up pulling harnesses.

Don't total agree with you @WhatsthePoint ,Wife and I put 8 in the box yesterday and my top speed at the ball was 2.2mph , I always pull spoons and body bait and never do I troll much over 2.9mph , my speeds are from 2.0-2.9 mph ,2.2-2.5 is where I favor to run myself , I have a fish hawk 4x so everything is ball speed not gps speed but they are not to far out on a clam day , just my 2 cent please don't take it the wrong way ...........................apps

Don't total agree with you @WhatsthePoint ,Wife and I put 8 in the box yesterday and my top speed at the ball was 2.2mph , I always pull spoons and body bait and never do I troll much over 2.9mph , my speeds are from 2.0-2.9 mph ,2.2-2.5 is where I favor to run myself , I have a fish hawk 4x so everything is ball speed not gps speed but they are not to far out on a clam day , just my 2 cent please don't take it the wrong way ...........................apps
;):D

What a boring world this would be if we all agreed on everything and did the same things. Those speeds seem to work for me(usually) but will change them up when things aren't working. I would never continue to do the same things over and over again and expect different results. Something about the definition of insanity.

Thanks for the info I'll give it a go next time I'm out. I was out on Monday last week out of Maitland and marked lots just managed some sheeps head. I did everything the opposite of what you guys mentioned. Thanks again

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks