tics

angler

Anyone got any secrets for keeping them off?
Finally able to go out after surgery and came home with six on my clothes. Sort of takes the fun out of the trout fishing which was great by the way.

Lots of deet
But that's not guarenteed,
Long pants and long shirts layered and tucked into one an other
Keeping them off clothes is less of a concern to keeping them off of your skin!

What creek were you trout fishing in??

Breathable waders are the only sure thing against ticks. The Original Bug Shirt Co. pants are a close enough second when its just too hot for waders. But by then I'm back in the truck now days. If I get out at all!

You can buy Ultra Shield horse spray at TSC. It contains permathrin and is supposed to be a good tick repellant. I used it turkey hunting and didn't come home with any. Can only be applied to clothing though. TC

Shoppers drugstore mouthwash in a spray bottle, apply every hour or so keep you cool and bug free.
Manny years in the bush and it works with no harsh chemicals.

Shoppers drugstore mouthwash in a spray bottle, apply every hour or so keep you cool and bug free.
Manny years in the bush and it works with no harsh chemicals.

Never heard of that before, I could see the alcohol maybe repelling insects but would think that there is something in there that would attract Insects as well

ticks generally don't like to crawl down. If you wear the pants with the zip off legs, and tuck your pants into your socks, the cuff that it just above the zipper usually stops them. soaking the cuff in repellant helps as well. Looks dorky but prevents try to remove ticks from places that you cannot reach. You really learn who your friends are in that situation.

Thanks guys. I'm going out to get the spray and Original Bug Shirt today.

If you're going to buy that horse spray I would suggest looking at what the active ingredient is in the spray and do a quick Google search on it.
Look at what the LD50 is and any other safety precautions the product label suggests..
May not be all that safe to spray on your clothing as @trky chsr is saying...

Just my two cents.

Watching the The Player's Championship over the weekend I noticed something I have never seen. Rory McIlroys golf pants had elastic or something sewed in on the cuffs of his pants, definitely they were cinched tight . Other younsters had tighter than normal cuffs too, maybe a fashion statement but McIlroys were tighter than normal. Protection from Ticks? Makes sense.

If by chance you do happen to get a tick on yourself or dog etc, I read an article from a hunting site and this works very well. One of my dogs had a tick attached to it last year and I saturated a cotton ball with dish soap, rubbed the cotton ball on and around the tick for 15 - 20 seconds and the tick released itself quite easily, I thought this would be another one of those tales but it worked great.

speaking of looking "dorky"----have a buddy who NEVER wears a hat when out in his boat (or anywhere else for that matter"------

showed up one time wearing a "dorky" looking hat and was told----"take that :censored::censored::censored::censored: looking hat off":arghh::yuck:

response was short and to the point:censored:-----besides you're at the back of the boat so turn around if you don't want to look at it:whistle:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks