Thursday's Hastings Perch

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Decided to do a last minute change in plans to do a perch run. Told my wife to get out of and let's go perching instead of doing a Bluff Run.

A decision well made, we ended up with 14# of fillers and all fish were of a descent size with a couple of jumbos. The action was slow but steady in 51' of water. Was quite surprised to see that many boats out there for that time of the week. Guess I'm not the only that hates working.

Chatted with 2 members from this forum who made there first trip from Burwell. It was kind of funny when you guys pulled along side of me and asked how much farther is Hastings. I said you are here and drop anchor along side me and start fishing. Sorry forgot your names but hope your day was a success and a save ride back..

We made it out yesterday also, the boats were scattered in different depths early morning, so I went to hastings first thing and the fish weren't biting in 50.5 f.o.w. . I then moved back to the pack of boats closer to the windmills and not much showing on the finder. so I decided to move out to 53ft. and they were there!! there was 3 of us in a pack at 8:00 a.m. with my second fish being a jumbo!! by 9;30 there 20 more boats around us and fishing was good until 11:00, when 2 boats could not stay anchored and kept drifting by me spooking all the fish!!! so we moved out further to 53-54 range and they were there but the bite was off.

I decided to go back to hastings at 5:00 p.m. and the fish finder was lite up like a Christmas tree. the bite came on good between 6-7:30 p.m. with lots of jumbos in the mix of fish and making almost our limit. The bite was very light!!!! Got 2 fish over 14" at the very end of the trip!!! We started early and left late in the day, but all in all fishing was good and I'm still looking for my 15" jumbo. ....... Safe boating everyone!!!!!!

Decided to do a last minute change in plans to do a perch run. Told my wife to get out of and let's go perching instead of doing a Bluff Run.

A decision well made, we ended up with 14# of fillers and all fish were of a descent size with a couple of jumbos. The action was slow but steady in 51' of water. Was quite surprised to see that many boats out there for that time of the week. Guess I'm not the only that hates working.

Chatted with 2 members from this forum who made there first trip from Burwell. It was kind of funny when you guys pulled along side of me and asked how much farther is Hastings. I said you are here and drop anchor along side me and start fishing. Sorry forgot your names but hope your day was a success and a save ride back..

@lakeerieangler thanks for jumping. It was a pleasure to meet you guys and hope you got your limit and a save ride back. I know the wind had picked up after we got back in while cleaning our fish

Threebouys did your battery die on you??? ,is that what you mean by, "thanks for jumping" or did someone like jump in the water..lol...

yeah it was good non stop fishing in the morning with lots of dinks and the evening between 6-7:30 the same except when the bite is very light I mean you barely even feel the perch hit the hook.

Does a offshore wind effect the bite? I will take my 19 footer there if I can find a day without heavy winds. I have never fished the west side of the point. I remember sitting on the beach at the Long Point Conservation area and looking at the surf with 2 meter plus waves was like sitting on Sunset Beach in Oahu and thinking I would hate to be caught in that water in my aluminum boat. I know guys go from Burwell all the time but sometimes you get a feeling about something and regardless what your mind is telling you one goes and does it anyway and someone looses an eye. It's the back, it's not the best and if I get caught banging through waves even less than a meter there or back for more than 5 miles I know I am going to be laid up the rest of the summer. then what? I did myself in running west to Nanticoke for an hour from our place and needed to go to hospital by ambulance from Hoovers.

Is there any safe port between Burwell and Hastings or it all raised cliffs like Bruce? I have never been to Burwell, only Bruce.

Threebouys did your battery die on you??? ,is that what you mean by, "thanks for jumping" or did someone like jump in the water..lol...
@RobNPerch i see I didn't finish typing probably it was related to many beers. The thinking was there but the fingers couldn't keep up. I didn't have boat troubles but I couldn't remember the other guys names I meet out there and was hoping they would jump in on the post I reported. :)

Does a offshore wind effect the bite? I will take my 19 footer there if I can find a day without heavy winds. I have never fished the west side of the point. I remember sitting on the beach at the Long Point Conservation area and looking at the surf with 2 meter plus waves was like sitting on Sunset Beach in Oahu and thinking I would hate to be caught in that water in my aluminum boat. I know guys go from Burwell all the time but sometimes you get a feeling about something and regardless what your mind is telling you one goes and does it anyway and someone looses an eye. It's the back, it's not the best and if I get caught banging through waves even less than a meter there or back for more than 5 miles I know I am going to be laid up the rest of the summer. then what? I did myself in running west to Nanticoke for an hour from our place and needed to go to hospital by ambulance from Hoovers.

Is there any safe port between Burwell and Hastings or it all raised cliffs like Bruce? I have never been to Burwell, only Bruce.

@WhatsthePoint when you launch fro Burwell to get to Hastings there is no place to seek safety John. It's all high cliffs until you reach the Clear Creek area. I'm sure there has been a few boaters that have come up there from Burwell on perfect water conditions and had a roller coaster ride back.

I gave you a like for the giving me the info @Three Bouys but not for what you report. It has to be hairy for these guys going out in 16 and 17 footers. If it was 30 years ago I probably would have gone in the 15 footer and the 20 Merc if I knew there were limits to be had. For sure I'll wait until we swap out the outdrive in buddies 24 foot glass cuddy. That's a smarter plan.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks