Thursday and Friday Perching

zxninja

After two season of inviting a couple friends up the the point for some perching, only to be land locked due to high winds and an angry Lake Erie, we finally managed to get out last week.

Seeing a small window of opportunity Thursday morning, two of us headed out around 9:30am. The bite was instant at first and we boated a mixed bag of 25 perch in about 45mins. The bite was extremely light and reminded me of fishing for walleye on the northern lakes, a lot of missed fish.

Now, Thursday was a prime example of how fast this lake can turn on you. This was the fastest I personally have see it happen. We went from fishing in a light NW wind to an instant 180 with the winds picking up to high 20-30kmh and 3' rollers in under five mins. Needless to say, we pulled anchor and made it back asap to get the boat out of the water. A classic example of why smaller boats and car tops are a risky chance people take out there and to oick your days wisely.

The rest of the day Thursday was a mixed bad of three types of beer, some food and a good feed of freash perch as another friend joined us early afternoon.

Friday, the lake was finally fishable for us and I couldn't be happier for my two good friends. It was frustrating to think that this was going to be season three of being blown off the Lake for our trip.

The three of us fished from 9:30-12 in 42fow and managed to boat our limit. The bit was a little slower (if you can even call it that) with the odd span of 3-5mins without a fish giving us a chance to breath....wash ur hands or even hav a drink between fish.

After 2.5hrs of fishing and 3hrs of filleting, grand total was 22lbs of fillets. Just a fine way to spend a day!

Good Post. I wondered about you being out there, id have called you but didn't have your number.

Old Erie sure whipped up that morning.:eek:

Good fishing....

BD

great post. nice to hear when freinds travel down and the W gods comply , better to say W then the actuall word cause soon as it crosses your lips it happens. must be the fly fisherman in me

Great report. A great example as to why we all have to respect this lake. Some may call me a Pit Bull with a bone when it comes to small boats out here. I know if you are in a water spout it really doesn't matter what size boat. But I have a rule of thumb. My boats speed should be able to run 1 mile an hour faster than the storm coming in. Yes if the wind is blowing at 50MPH I can't outrun it. That's when you leave as soon as you feel the wind shift or see the sky change. It's called a head start. My brother in law though I was daft when I felt the wind change at 3 PM and I told them to pack it up, now. By the time we rounded the point there were 1 meter waves in our faces with a NW wind. The sky was black and we got soaked by the time we hit the marina and the patio chairs from the restaurant were floating in the creek.

At least those wind mills are good for something.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks