Thurs nite Burwell

Fish Whisperer

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Set up in 57 fow ran out to 60 then back into 56. Dipsy back 145 105 88 on 3 2 1 setting. Darker colors worked well nascar with the usual mix Jerry lee tequila sunrise piston cup mixed veggies.

We were out last night for 2hrs running between 43 - 53 fow . The pic`s were going crazy on the lead core at 7 colours . Kept one line with the gold/black RRF . Tried all kinds of other colour combo`s and spoons on the other two but the Golds were Golden as they caught every fish . Double and triple headers . Even a jumbo perch . We needed auto pilot ! Caught more fish in those 2 hrs than we have on any given full day . Still trying to figure out the dipsy depths as the line counter is way off . 33 yrds on the counter has proven so far to be the sweet spot , producing bigger pics consistantly but far from quantity . A #1 dipsy set at 3 . Measured out the line at 33 yrds and was actually 26 yrds . Big difference . Is there a calculator for getting a more acurate depth of what your dipsy is realisticly running at ? I know what it says on the back of the pkg which is a guide line , and I have been going by what someone here has posted saying roughly a third of the line out is the depth your running . We usually troll at an average of 2 mph or more . Trying to figure out the dipsys for the optimum depths we`re after .

Take your dipsey to the end of your rod....pull the dipsey to the reel and subtract the distance of the reel from the full rod length end...then see what your line counter says....then formulate the discrepancy ...example....10 ft. rod...dipsy to reel is 8 feet on the counter..therefore 8 ft. plus 1 ft. to the end of the rod is 9 ft...so your counter is 9/8 off...equals 1.22 x feet on counter is actual distance out....I think this math is correct...U290..Captain Rick at Southcoast charters has 1:1 counters for accuracy every time...he's an engineer brain who figured this out...I am sharing my understanding of the formula..I hope this helps and if there is a math wizard out there, please advise...we are all learning from each other which makes this forum awesomeness...Chiroalex over and out

Thanks chiroalex . That make sense and helps alot . Will do some more line measuring this afternoon and extra math because my counter is in yrds . lol

And I agree .... this forum is awesome !!!

FWIW I have been using metered braid with 25' colour bands and a 1 foot white stripe in the middle of each colour. Bought it on Amazon. Not the greatest braid ever but the convenience of being able to use my big surf rod with a spinning reel more than makes up for it. Also completely accurate.

I'm actually going to replace my cheap baitcaster reel with a slightly better one w/o a line counter.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks