The Rotating Flasher - Darryl Choronzey June 5, 2023

Get Hooked

“Around and around and around she goes, and where she stops only the big king knows!”

My fishing buddy for the morning, John McKessock’s favorite fishing phrase. He had just lowered the Shark 12-pound downrigger weight to the 80 foot level a few minutes earlier and now he was battling another Georgian bay king for the third time in just the last thirty minutes. Every time he lowered the lead and tackle, he got the same result, another silver Chinook and another battle royal.

Then came a transformation. First, as mostly cottage industries and then as big business, mid-west and Ontario tackle manufacturers began to blossom all around the Great Lakes. In fact, the boys from the east began to take over the Great Lakes’ tackle sales on the entire Great Lakes. Products like Walker, Big Jon and Cannon owned the downrigger trade. Spoon makers like Dreamweaver, Eppinger, Chuck’s, Moonshine, William’s, Northport, Northern King, Miller, Stinger and dozens more proved they could stamp out and paint spoons as good or better products than the boys in the west.

https://www.glangler.com/blogs/articles/the-rotating-flasher-darryl-choronzey

As I have known Darryl for many years, I had a FB Msg from him last Dec.

He said. We originally moved from Wiarton and bought the lake across from the O.S. airport and the old golf course that was beside us. Built a house on the lake . Sold after 10 years and then started the buy and sell from Point Abino and around for the last decades..I'm from Port Colborne/Crystal Beach and love the fishing down there and am looking to move back.

Definitely one individual that gave a damn about the fisheries.
Plus had probably had the best fishing show ever.

When this Thread has a few more Replies I will FB Msg. Darryl and pass this Thread Link on to him. I think he would appreciate the kind words said about him and to know that he has not been forgotten what he has done for the fishery. For those that don't know, it was Darryl who got Alan Pope Minister of Natural Resources April 10, 1981 – February 8, 1985 to give the OK for stocking Chinook Salmon in Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. I am sure many of Stomps Members remember the great Salmon fishing there before the demise of the Alewives which resulted in the collaspe of the mighty King fishing. The Article I read said the harsh winter of 2002 was a key factor in the collapse of baitfish in Lake Huron but I believe it started a few years before then.

Last edited:
Huron and GB had some of the best salmon fishing around in the hay day before the collapse of the bait fish. I think the fishery there now is more of a natural reproductive fishery with limited stocking going on. This year OS fished really well for at least 6 plus weeks in the spring sure they might be the 10lbs plus fish you get on Ontario but they are great eating fish. I remember when the runs where so big in the fall time below the damn in OS they would be in there so thick that if could walk across from one side to the other you could do so without getting your feet wet.

The Brantford chapter of the Ontario steelheaders were very active in restoring fish habitat and transferring fish around. John Slades articles in Ontario Fisherman did a lot to educate a young fellow like me from a non fishing family back then. The work weekends were a great place to meet other people with the same passion. The older guys would feed you little tips. It is to bad we do not have anything like that to-day.

For those that didn't know this about the Chronz. In 2002, Choronzey was awarded the highly coveted Canada’s Recreational Fisheries Award in recognition of improving, protecting and promoting sport fishing in Canada. In 2011 Darryl was enshrined into the Canadian Sport Fishing Hall of Fame. For more than 50 years Darryl Choronzey has used both print and the airwaves to improve sport fishing and preserve our fish stocks.

In 2015 he was Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame Inductee.

In the early ’70s he began writing an outdoor column for newspapers, including the Globe and Mail, parlaying that freelance career into a full-time one as the owner of Ontario Fisherman Magazine.

Choronzey, who quit his job working as forester for the municipality of Burlington to dedicate his time to writing, never pulled any punches in the magazine he owned and operated out of Owen Sound for 23 years before selling it, and readers took to the bait. At its peak the magazine, which was published every two months, sold 50,000 copies and was filled with advertising.

His “common-sense” approach, such as stocking far enough away from the mouth of a river to “imprint the spawning grounds in the fish’s DNA,” at times put him at loggerheads with the Ministry of Natural Resources over a decades-long career as a fishing advocate.

Attachments

• Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame Inductee.png
    Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame Inductee.png
    379.1 KB · Views: 3
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks