Fishing Report The Niagara Bar

rockin-steelhead

Booked a guided trip to fish the Niagara river. Our guide Lyle had been out yesterday plus other trips but said the bar was fishing well and asked if we minded starting there and no one objected. Take the 7 mile or so trek down the river and we setup in 90fow just after 7am. Our first drift we landed 4 eyes…what a start. All I can say is the bar did not disappoint at all today with 5 different species being landed. We got walleye, lake trout, browns, salmon and white bass. We hooked at least 50 plus fish but the three of us all went home with two salmon and 2 eyes each. We would start the drift in 90 fow and finish around 20 fow. We only had one drift without a hook up throughout the whole trip.
After talking to other guys out at the lake as well as the dock they all said the same thing , how insane the fishing is and they have never experienced a day like today. The surprise for me was the number of salmon we got and heard caught today. What a fight on light gear….arms were a little sore at times with some of the fights.
We also heard of one sturgeon being caught as well today that took them over 30 minutes to land.
Here are a few pictures from the day.

Attachments

• IMG_1220.jpeg
    IMG_1220.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_5599.jpeg
    IMG_5599.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_5600.jpeg
    IMG_5600.jpeg
    478.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 7f50f374-6c17-4b7a-b94e-5772bc3052a3.jpeg
    7f50f374-6c17-4b7a-b94e-5772bc3052a3.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1196.jpeg
    IMG_1196.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1193.jpeg
    IMG_1193.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 356
Very very impressive, rockin-steelhead! And walleye too! Can it go down Welland Canal on it is native there?
On the last picture, looks like there is a panoptix or active target pole. near the bow Was it working that deep at 90 ft?

This was my second trip out with Lyle…the first trip was in 2020 and then with COVID etc he didn’t run trips in 2021 and 2022.
He is a great guy to go out with and very knowledgeable.
Yesterday was one of those days many guys dream of the number of different species etc.

Awesome report. When you said you started the drift in 90 ft and ended 20 ft do you mean 90 ft at the mouth and drift to 20 ft. Out in the lake Or the other way where you start in 20 ft and drifted to 90 ft.

hi rockin- may I ask who you used for a guide. I have gone out with Paul Castellano a number of times but he's full for Dec so looking for an alternative. Thanks, Maestro

jumped on a last minute with Lyle yesterday. was super windy out of north so had to give up on river mouth after a few rough drifts. still had a great day with about 15 fish, mostly browns and an 18lb brown which is a PB.

anyone looking for a good guide and fun trip, Lyle is top notch.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks