The Jammer jr

Crummybun

Checked the coop, no eggs today..🤨 but I had some walleye left over from thursdays trip. Added smoked bacon and cinnamon rolls hot from the Traeger and brunch was served. Wish I had more of that fish.. maybe the weather will hold a bit longer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230916_125347_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230916_125347_Gallery.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 23
they don't lay every day? Don't know much about chickens though. I'm sure you'll be able to suffer with the Cinnabons.....

they don't lay every day? Don't know much about chickens though. I'm sure you'll be able to suffer with the Cinnabons.....
They generally lay 1 egg each per day. We have 4 red sex link hens so average is 4 eggs a day. Over the last few weeks that has become 3 a day, 2 a day, 1 a day and then yesterday 0.... I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with them. Perhaps they're sick. Over the winter they usually slow down so 1 a day can be normal. This time of year is odd. Perhaps I was sold old chickens last year. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference to be honest. We have a friend that owns a farm with a large flock of free range hens. She takes them off us after 2 years so they can retire there, instead of in a soup pot. So ether way this will resolve itself by April. In the meantime I'm buying my eggs...

Shorter daylight and molting...

I put a light in there coop to extend light time to 14 hours... my 10 laid 10/day for 3 years... I baked and crushed up there eggshells and fed them back to them... That helped as well...

We named our first 6 chickens and they were somewhat friendly. It seemed hard on my wife and daughter to let them go to the farm. We've also had a few die on us randomly. I think they may have been egg bound... We decided that naming them was not in our best emotional interests as we only keep them for 2 years.

I've tried the light thing but had an issue with the timer I bought. I should try a new one.

Perhaps they're molting. They're supposed to be 20 months old.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230917_134306_Amazon Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230917_134306_Amazon Photos.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My son has filled 4 coups with chickens and pigeons. One coup has free rangers and they lay eggs all over the place. Maybe there are eggs hiding.

My son has filled 4 coups with chickens and pigeons. One coup has free rangers and they lay eggs all over the place. Maybe there are eggs hiding.
I though that may be the case. So I dug around in their run. No evidence of a stash, shells etc.

My wife had a friend that converted an old shed into a coop. Not sure how they found it but the chickens had been laying in the soffit's. There were hundreds of eggs in there. What a mess..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks