Off Topic The hoop netters

Larry Lloyd

The Long Point Company hoop netters have not tended their nets in a week or so. I hope those nets were left open or are pulled soon. I've always have had concerns about them guys drowning turtles. Anybody have insight here.

Everything that swims into their nets.. They dump the nets out unto the bottom of the boat and sort them live into different tubs. Then they scoop the rest back out of the boat. There doesn't seem to be much harm as there's usually no seagulls around when they dump. Not sure what they keep perch, crappies, pike and I heard they sell the Rockies to the states for stocking in ponds.

Pike, pan fish, catfish not sure what else the market allows. They use to use live wells and aerated tanker trucks were used to ship them down south.
If I remember correctly the Inner Bay is divided into fishing grounds and usually local families would have ownership as per MNR or Long Point or Turkey Point Companies.

Had the opportunity to go out a few times with the “Long Point Co. guys”. They seemed to be ethical in the handling of perch. The females were released (as long as the belly scales were intact). If I recall correctly, “mud puppies” were collected and sent to Guelph University.

Is Hoop netting the same as Trap Nets?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks