Off Topic That time of year again

Trevor M

Well, it's getting to be that time of year again. So, after the Remembrance Day Ceremonies were finished.....(I refuse to put them up until after)

Started outside (that took 3 days total) Took a couple days for my body to recover and put the inside stuff up on Friday.

Attachments

• 2023 Inside Christmas Decorations  (1).jpg
    2023 Inside Christmas Decorations (1).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 2023 Inside Christmas Decorations  (2).jpg
    2023 Inside Christmas Decorations (2).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 2023 Inside Christmas Decorations  (3).jpg
    2023 Inside Christmas Decorations (3).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 2023 Inside Christmas Decorations  (4).jpg
    2023 Inside Christmas Decorations (4).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 2023 Inside Christmas Decorations  (5).jpg
    2023 Inside Christmas Decorations (5).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2023 Inside Christmas Decorations  (6).jpg
    2023 Inside Christmas Decorations (6).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 2023 Inside Christmas Decorations  (7).jpg
    2023 Inside Christmas Decorations (7).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 2023 Inside Christmas Decorations  (8).jpg
    2023 Inside Christmas Decorations (8).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 2023 Inside Christmas Decorations  (9).jpg
    2023 Inside Christmas Decorations (9).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 62
Some more

Attachments

• 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (1).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (1).jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (2).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (2).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (3).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (3).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (4).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (4).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (5).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (5).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (6).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (6).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (7).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (7).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (8).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (8).jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (9).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (9).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (10).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (10).jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 46
yep even more

Idea is IF I can convince my wife to do it, we might go sit under there with some hot chocolate some nights. Haven't been able to convince her to do it yet though ;) At the end of the month when I get paid again, I'll be picking up a cheap second hand radio I can put out there as well to play some Christmas tunes while the lights are on.

Attachments

• 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (11).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (11).jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (12).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (12).jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (13).jpg
    2023 Outdoor Christmas decorations during the day (13).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night  (1).jpg
    2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night (1).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night  (2).jpg
    2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night (2).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night  (3).jpg
    2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night (3).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night  (4).jpg
    2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night (4).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night  (5).jpg
    2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night (5).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night  (6).jpg
    2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night (6).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night  (7) The ceiling of the tent.jpg
    2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night (7) The ceiling of the tent.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
and the last 3

In total, I downsized outside this year a little. Neighbor said he was a little short of lights he needed for his yard, so I gave him a string of 8 function 150 lights. So instead of the 1800 lights outside this year, there's only 1650 and the two lasers (lasers are in the tent)

700 lights around the tree inside and I have 350 lights left over I didn't use this year (but I could still put'em up outside IF I felt like it ;):ROFLMAO:)

There are a couple videos too, but you'll have to go to my FB page to see those because I can't upload them here. Might be because I have what I'm told is an ancient flip phone that I take these pictures and videos with (although I can do most things the new phones do with it IF I wanted to connect to the internet with it, but it's a phone, don't need a computer with me everywhere I go so I only use the photo/video capability and of course use it as a phone. Have never connected to the internet with it even though I could.)

Attachments

• 2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night  (8).jpg
    2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night (8).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night  (9).jpg
    2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night (9).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night  (10).jpg
    2023 outside Christmas Decorations at night (10).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
On a side note, the CP Rail Holiday Train will be in London this coming Thursday (23rd) arriving at 8:15pm, show at 8:30pm-9:00pm at the Richmond St rail crossing. It helps the local foodbank.

I wanna puke evening thinking about Christmas but thanks for getting me a stocking trev
That's my son's stocking. He's in Edmonton now, but I still put it out, so he knows he's here in spirit, I just don't fill it. HE, saw the pics and sent me a message telling me if I was gonna put it out for the pictures, then fill it and send it to him. :ROFLMAO: I reminded him I can't afford the shipping costs.
This "helps" get me in the Christmas spirit. I said to my wife long ago, "let me do what I do or you'll be dealing with a grumpy Trevor at Christmas and that ain't fun." Then last year we were both sick with a miserable cold, and no water for 4 days because the damn pipe froze and the place we called who said they'd be here in the early afternoon of Christmas Eve, called when they said they'd be here and said that we weren't even on their list and they couldn't/wouldn't come out until the 27th. They got to deal with grumpy me when they finally showed up. They didn't enjoy it :ROFLMAO:

I’ll see ya bright and early Xmas day.
NOT TOO EARLY..........I gotta try to get some:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Usually, we have 4 family Christmas gatherings to attend in less than 36 hours starting on Christmas Eve around 4pm and while I won't be as busy as normal this Christmas, this is our usual routine.

1) Christmas Eve at my Father in law's place with his second wife, my wife's sister and her family, and our oldest niece and her family.

2) My wife and I do our own Christmas at home Christmas Day meaning we open the gifts for us under our tree around 7am.

3) Used to be my Mother in law and her bf either come here, or we go there for 9am on Christmas Day but about 5 years ago, because it's so much easier for me to be both host and cook, we have them come here. This year they're coming here for breakfast at 9am. I already know most of the menu, even have some of it bought already, but might change my mind on some of it closer to the date if I'm feeling overly lazy;):ROFLMAO: THEN......

4) At 2pm ish on Christmas Day, we go to my parents place to celebrate with my parents and my sister and her family. THIS one is not happening this year as my parents being older (my dad is under 80 but older than 75) and with reports of increased numbers of illnesses, (both Covid and that other thing that's out there that I just can't remember the name of right now,) they'd rather err on the side of being overly cautious than overly sorry. We'll get together in the spring when they can open their windows again (they have plastic over them now to keep the drafts down)

So because we're not going there this year, they've given us a turkey and I'll be doin the birdy with all the fixin's here, that as it stands right now, it will be just my wife and I for Christmas Dinner, but that could change.

So yeah, I'm not going to be quite as busy this year, but I'll still be pretty busy over a very short period of time ;)

Last edited:
So I gotta ask...given your culinary background...what is your go-to way of cooking the bird, and what is your signature stuffing recipe????

So I gotta ask...given your culinary background...what is your go-to way of cooking the bird, and what is your signature stuffing recipe????
Too answer your questions Dave........question 1) What is my go-to way to cook the bird? Answer......in the oven. ;)

Now that the smart ass answer is out of the way, to be a little more specific, we have a gas stove, so it will cook a little faster than an electric stove does. I cook the bird unstuffed at 375F until the internal temp of the thickest part of the breast is 160F. Once it's done, I turn the heat off take it out and let it rest for at least 20 minutes before I carve. (Remember, like all meats, it will continue to cook for a short period after being removed from the heat) I gauge my cooking time based on the theory that you should cook the unstuffed bird for 15 minutes per pound at 350F, but since I cook it at 375F, I adjust my cooking time down to approx 12 minutes per pound. BUT, I also check the internal temp each time I baste the bird, which I usually do about every hour until I take it out to rest before serving.

The reason I cook the bird unstuffed is 1) It'll cook faster and more evenly and 2) by cooking them separately, there's very little chance of undercooking either and making people sick.

Before I put the bird in the roasting pan, I put a layer of celery, carrot, onion, (that's a standard mirepoix) and the bag of gizzards on the bottom then holding the bird over the roaster, I season the parts of the bird (wings, legs and thighs, and the bottom of it) with lowry's season salt, garlic powder, a little sage, a little poultry seasoning, some thyme and a little crushed black pepper before putting it on top of that mirepoix. Putting it on top of the mirepoix and not directly in contact with the roasting pan keeps the bird from sticking to the roasting pan, and adds flavor to the gravy. ( you can add an apple or an orange or anything else you might want to add to set it on that will add flavor to the gravy) Then I season the breasts of the bird with the same seasonings, add about a cup of chicken stock to the roaster and into the oven it goes.

Question 2) What is my 'signature' stuffing? Honestly, I don't have what I would consider to be a signature stuffing.

Most of the time, I'm lazy and just use Stove Top stuffing. It's simple, quick and easy, and like I said, I don't stuff the bird, so it's always done on the stove top. That said, sometimes I don't feel lazy and I will make my own stuffing from scratch. IF I do, this is generally the recipe I use, although I've been known to look one up from time to time on the internet just for :poop: and giggles to try something new and different. But generally, because both my wife and I love stove top stuffing, and it's sooooooo simple to make, that's what I do.

So the recipe I use when I make my own.

(Your hands are gonna get a little dirty, but it’ll be fun, so make sure you thoroughly wash your hands before you do anything else)

1 Loaf of Bread medium to large diced should easily feed two people. Add more loaves if you’re feeding more than two people and adjust the rest accordingly. (you pick what kind of bread you want to use. I usually use the cheapest white bread on the shelf if I know all I’m using it for is stuffing)
1 extra large egg
1 VERY Finely diced onion, carrot, and celery (standard mirepoix)
1 VERY finely diced Apple (you choose which kind you want to use, I use red delicious)
Melted Garlic butter (or garlic spread) about half a cup.
Poultry seasoning
Sage
Thyme
Salt and pepper

***Remember when seasoning, LESS is better as these seasonings are strong and any one of them can easily overpower any of the others if you use too much of it. I generally use a pinch or two per loaf of bread used which depends on how many I’m feeding***

In a large bowl add the diced bread, mirepoix, diced apple, egg, melted garlic butter and all seasonings. Using your hands (this is where making sure you washed them first is really important) mix until all ingredients have mixed together as evenly as possible. I generally like to mix it until it forms a big wet ball.

Once you’re satisfied that everything is as evenly mixed as possible there are several ways you can cook it. I’ll give you the two easiest ways.

1) Using a no stick spray IE PAM, spray the shiny side of a sheet of tin foil, then put the mixture onto it evenly, then roll it into a basic tube shape seal the ends, and into the oven at 350 F until internal temp is at least 165F

2) Instead of putting it in tinfoil, using a no stick spray IE PAM, liberally spray the bottom and sides of a square or rectangular cake pan, or muffin tray(s) and then spoon the mix evenly into it. Cook until done. If using muffin tray, only fill ¾ of each. If using a cake pan cover with tin foil.

Last edited:
Too answer your questions Dave........question 1) What is my go-to way to cook the bird? Answer......in the oven. ;)

Now that the smart ass answer is out of the way, to be a little more specific, we have a gas stove, so it will cook a little faster than an electric stove does. I cook the bird unstuffed at 375F until the internal temp of the thickest part of the breast is 160F. Once it's done, I turn the heat off take it out and let it rest for at least 20 minutes before I carve. (Remember, like all meats, it will continue to cook for a short period after being removed from the heat) I gauge my cooking time based on the theory that you should cook the unstuffed bird for 15 minutes per pound at 350F, but since I cook it at 375F, I adjust my cooking time down to approx 12 minutes per pound. BUT, I also check the internal temp each time I baste the bird, which I usually do about every hour until I take it out to rest before serving.

The reason I cook the bird unstuffed is 1) It'll cook faster and more evenly and 2) by cooking them separately, there's very little chance of undercooking either and making people sick.

Before I put the bird in the roasting pan, I put a layer of celery, carrot, onion, (that's a standard mirepoix) and the bag of gizzards on the bottom then holding the bird over the roaster, I season the parts of the bird (wings, legs and thighs, and the bottom of it) with lowry's season salt, garlic powder, a little sage, a little poultry seasoning, some thyme and a little crushed black pepper before putting it on top of that mirepoix. Putting it on top of the mirepoix and not directly in contact with the roasting pan keeps the bird from sticking to the roasting pan, and adds flavor to the gravy. ( you can add an apple or an orange or anything else you might want to add to set it on that will add flavor to the gravy) Then I season the breasts of the bird with the same seasonings, add about a cup of chicken stock to the roaster and into the oven it goes.

Question 2) What is my 'signature' stuffing? Honestly, I don't have what I would consider to be a signature stuffing.

Most of the time, I'm lazy and just use Stove Top stuffing. It's simple, quick and easy, and like I said, I don't stuff the bird, so it's always done on the stove top. That said, sometimes I don't feel lazy and I will make my own stuffing from scratch. IF I do, this is generally the recipe I use, although I've been known to look one up from time to time on the internet just for :poop: and giggles to try something new and different. But generally, because both my wife and I love stove top stuffing, and it's sooooooo simple to make, that's what I do.

So the recipe I use when I make my own.

(Your hands are gonna get a little dirty, but it’ll be fun, so make sure you thoroughly wash your hands before you do anything else)

1 Loaf of Bread medium to large diced should easily feed two people. Add more loaves if you’re feeding more than two people and adjust the rest accordingly. (you pick what kind of bread you want to use. I usually use the cheapest white bread on the shelf if I know all I’m using it for is stuffing)
1 extra large egg
1 VERY Finely diced onion, carrot, and celery (standard mirepoix)
1 VERY finely diced Apple (you choose which kind you want to use, I use red delicious)
Melted Garlic butter (or garlic spread) about half a cup.
Poultry seasoning
Sage
Thyme
Salt and pepper

***Remember when seasoning, LESS is better as these seasonings are strong and any one of them can easily overpower any of the others if you use too much of it. I generally use a pinch or two per loaf of bread used which depends on how many I’m feeding***

In a large bowl add the diced bread, mirepoix, diced apple, egg, melted garlic butter and all seasonings. Using your hands (this is where making sure you washed them first is really important) mix until all ingredients have mixed together as evenly as possible. I generally like to mix it until it forms a big wet ball.

Once you’re satisfied that everything is as evenly mixed as possible there are several ways you can cook it. I’ll give you the two easiest ways.

1) Using a no stick spray IE PAM, spray the shiny side of a sheet of tin foil, then put the mixture onto it evenly, then roll it into a basic tube shape seal the ends, and into the oven at 350 F until internal temp is at least 165F

2) Instead of putting it in tinfoil, using a no stick spray IE PAM, liberally spray the bottom and sides of a square or rectangular cake pan, or muffin tray(s) and then spoon the mix evenly into it. Cook until done. If using muffin tray, only fill ¾ of each. If using a cake pan cover with tin foil.
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!
So can I assume that was kind of the answer you were hoping for? :ROFLMAO:

Here's a picture of the bird from 2020. I didn't cook one last year because we were both sick with a miserable cold. (it wasn't Covid just a nasty cold) and we had no water due to frozen pipes just before Christmas and I wasn't up to cooking anyways, but even if I had been, I didn't wanna make a big pile of dishes to be done with no water.

The rest of the pictures are from the first year I cooked Christmas Dinner for my MIL, her bf, and my son here at our place (2013) After seeing my MIL struggle to be the host and the cook the year before, I discussed it with my wife, and given my background in restaurants and kitchens, and the fact that I could and have literally done this "in my sleep," (which I proved in 2015 as that's the year my own grandmother passed away ON Christmas Day just before we got to my parents place for breakfast that morning) We still had our Christmas as that's what she would have insisted upon, but it was somewhat subdued and somber given the circumstances.

Later that afternoon, after returning home to prepare Christmas Dinner for our Christmas with my MIL, and her bf, once I had what needed to be done in the kitchen prepped and on the go, just as my MIL and her bf were arriving, the reality of the news earlier that morning hit me, and I sent my wife out to let them know what had happened while I took some time to composed myself. (yeah I cried. I was very close to my grandmother) I have no further memory of being the host or cooking Christmas Dinner that year for them, but they've all told me I was a perfect host and put an awesome meal in front of them despite what I was dealing with personally that day.

And yes, in that one picture from 2013, that's toy squirrel in the bowl with the nuts. My wife insisted. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 2020 Birdie..jpg
    2020 Birdie..jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Christmas 2013 (17).JPG
    Christmas 2013 (17).JPG
    398.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Christmas 2013 (18).JPG
    Christmas 2013 (18).JPG
    255 KB · Views: 19
  • Christmas 2013 (22).JPG
    Christmas 2013 (22).JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Christmas 2013 (26).JPG
    Christmas 2013 (26).JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Christmas 2013 (28).JPG
    Christmas 2013 (28).JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Christmas 2013 (29).JPG
    Christmas 2013 (29).JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 22
Wow that Trevor stocking looks huge is the supper for you and the wife ? lol looks good lot's of work there keep up the spirit I should do the same

Wow that Trevor stocking looks huge is the supper for you and the wife ? lol looks good lot's of work there keep up the spirit I should do the same
The stockings are all the same size. They're big, but "Santa" tends to put things in them ie bottles of shampoo, hand sanitizer, and other slightly larger items that just don't and wouldn't exactly fit in the smaller one you see attached to my wife's bigger stocking, which is why I bought the bigger stockings many years ago. Saves on wrapping paper ;)

That supper was for 6 of us. My wife's mother, her boyfriend, my wife's grandmother (who passed away a couple months ago at 99 just short of her 100th birthday) my son, my wife and myself. This year it'll be breakfast on Christmas Day with my MIL and her bf, my wife and myself.

Menu is back bacon, sausage, eggs, hashbrowns, toast, a small fruit tray (and maybe some waffles or pancakes or both, haven't decided on that yet. Will depend how I feel that morning since it's a very quick turn around between Christmas Eve with my FIL and his wife, SIL and that part of the family at his house, then breakfast here with my MIL on Christmas morning.)

Putting those decorations up, especially the ones outside is a bit of work. Usually takes me 3-4 days total to get inside and out put up with a day or two in between to let my back, hips and shoulders recover before I put the inside decorations up. Inside, the tree always takes the longest and hurts me the most because to put it where it is, I have to get on my belly and push it back into that corner. THAT is getting more difficult each year and my wife doesn't understand why I want to rearrange the living room and put the tree in front of the other window. (it would be a hell of a lot easier for me lol)

This year after getting the tree in place, I just kind of sat on the floor and called my wife to come out to help me get up. She laughed at me, straightened my one leg and then left me there until I had recovered enough to get my ass up off the floor myself. But she did put the hockey game on the tv and bring me my pop, a chocolate bar, and my painkillers before leaving me there on the floor and going back to whatever it was she was doing in the other room. She loves me :ROFLMAO:

Trevor I was just messing with you I knew the stockings were the same and I realize the work involved .Before 2016 we always had x mas here with an average of 21 people I took over the task 2016 after the wife passed and prepared the meal for 6 until the last 2 years only my son and I people age and pass away or to ill to make the drive or to far away it's a labour of love enjoy while we can

Thanks for the detailed approach to "the bird". Ive done everything from stuffed to unstuffed to open pan to foil tented to spatchcocked to deboned tur-duck-en. I have to say the trad approach for me is best..I do stuff ours but am also a big fan of Stovetop Stuffing (hint..take a big Erie eye fillet, buterfly the loin portion to even it out, stuff it with Stovetop, brush with butter, and bake..amazing!!) to extend the in bird stuffing. Because we tend to do a smaller bird for the 3 of us..around the 12lb mark..they roast pretty quick. Bigger birds I foil tent the remove for the last hour to brown up. I love turkey!!!

Trevor I was just messing with you I knew the stockings were the same and I realize the work involved .Before 2016 we always had x mas here with an average of 21 people I took over the task 2016 after the wife passed and prepared the meal for 6 until the last 2 years only my son and I people age and pass away or to ill to make the drive or to far away it's a labour of love enjoy while we can
That's ok. I kinda knew you were messin with me. I kinda messed with you too. Despite the fact that I do have to take some time to recover after putting the outdoor stuff up, and then time to recover again after I do the indoor stuff, and yep, you bet pain killers are involved in that, really, the hardest thing about any of it is doing the damn dishes once all the cookin is done (give ya one guess who does'em ;) ) :unsure:or maybe it's gettin my ass off the couch to do them after everyone that's come to visit has left after eating a big meal if I'm cooking Christmas Dinner. (it's down to just two visitors at our place, but we still have a lot of travel to do between London and St Thomas in a very short period of time most years as her dad and my parents both live there)

This year, just cooking breakfast for others so it won't be as many dishes, or as much prep to do. Christmas Dinner is just going to be my wife and I or so I've been informed (could still change) so that means I don't have to put out appetizers or other "treats" with the spread. IF we want anything like that, she'll tell me ;) but generally, she doesn't when it's just the two of us. It'll be the traditional Christmas Dinner with all the fixin's just downsized for two.

I love turkey!!!
Does Turkey love you back though?

The other reason I don't stuff the bird is as I said, under normal circumstances, counting our own just my wife and I on Christmas Day, we have 4 family Christmas gatherings to attend in less than 36 hours. (It would be 5 in less than 48 IF we had to go to a family gathering in Brantford as well, but that gathering has been relocated to the Aug long weekend every year. Easier for everyone to travel in summer than winter, especially my American relatives coming up from Ohio)

Our Christmas gatherings with family start at her dad's on Christmas Eve around 3pm. We come home around 10ish. Then my wife and I are generally up at 6:30am on Christmas Day to have our "just us" Christmas where we open our tree, then her mom and her bf are here by 9am for breakfast or for a while, we were going to her mom's place here in London (we count that as the third Christmas gathering with family) and then in normal years, by 2 we're going to my parents place for the 4th. We used to rotate Christmas Dinner and Breakfast between her mom and my parents, so one year I cooked breakfast, the following I was cooking turkey dinner with all the fixins. But we stopped doing that rotation a few years back when my wife's late grandmother could no longer make the trip. Now generally, we go to my parents for Christmas Dinner IF they're hosting (They've decided not to this year as I said out of an abundance of caution given the reports of rising numbers of illnesses again.)

However, in the years where I'm cooking Christmas Dinner for my wife, MIL and her bf, that means we've been at my parents place in St Thomas from approx 9am until around 2pm on Christmas Day. We won't get home until almost 3, and they're usually told they can come anywhere after 4pm. That gives me time to get home, get the bird in the oven, and do any other prep I might need to do (ie peeling the potatoes for beat up taters) and still have time to take a breath before company arrives ;)

IF we wanna eat before 8pm, (which is usually about when they've decided to go home) stuffin the bird isn't in the cards and I NEVER buy a bird already stuffed. I tried one once and wasn't at all pleased with the stuffing they put in it. My homemade or stove top is WAY better. I've got a bird in the freezer already that my parents gave us since they're not hosting this year. (they did the same for my sister and her family) but I haven't looked to see how big it is. I'm kind of hoping that Walmart still has turkeys on for $3.99/lb when I get paid next week. IF they do, I might buy another one just because.

Trevor the super store has turkeys 5-7 kg or 11-15lb in our language pc butter infused $38.00 that's 2.50 - 3.50 per lb in the flyer

Trevor the super store has turkeys 5-7 kg or 11-15lb in our language pc butter infused $38.00 that's 2.50 - 3.50 per lb in the flyer
Thanks. Haven't decided yet whether I'm going to get another one or not. Will likely decide when I get paid after I pay bills, buy my wife a bday present and a few Christmas presents, and put a card in the mail for my son out west for Christmas. After I do all that, it'll depend on how much $ I have left what I may or may not do.

For those who enjoy a traditional roasted turkey, you cannot beat a bird that’s been brined overnight. The bird cooks faster, is unbelievably juicy, and using the drippings to make gravy yields the best gravy you can get.

At first you’ll read how much salt to add to the brine and think it’s wrong, but the salt is what makes the magic happen. The meat nor gravy are salty in the end.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks