Off Topic Terrova/ulterra and alike users

Minnownite

Having a terrova this year it has helped a lot trolling for eyes. People say it's a game changer. That's an understatement! One thing I'm still not confident in is sonar. Especially with downrigger all you see is the balls lol. Lowrance hook 7. So my question. How many of you use the sonar off the trolling motor? Specifically for walleye? Waste of time, effort and money to get it hooked up?

Having a terrova this year it has helped a lot trolling for eyes. People say it's a game changer. That's an understatement! One thing I'm still not confident in is sonar. Especially with downrigger all you see is the balls lol. Lowrance hook 7. So my question. How many of you use the sonar off the trolling motor? Specifically for walleye? Waste of time, effort and money to get it hooked up?
I got the ulterra and its hooked up to my front fishfinder/ GPS
I only use the front unit when jigging 15 feet plus water depth
It is great in the Detroit river,Niagara river or any lake ,fishing smallmouth bass, walleye,perch ,
I dont use it when fishing shallow water for largemouth, no use for it anyway
When trolling for walleye ,trout ,salmon I only use the main unit at the console, your trolling fast enough that by the time the fish is on the screen you are long past them specially in deep water anyway
But for jigging it's a must if you fish on the front platform and have your fishing partner at the back he can read the back unit , and also you can stay on the drop off a lot easier by knowing both unit depth that's what I do when fishing drop offs I face the main unit forward so I can see it as well

Have the bow mount hooked up to the lowrance ,use it to steer the kicker,love the detail it provides

Related question - I have Terrova 2009 model for which Minn Kota makes i-Pilot Link System-Legacy set that upgrades older Terrova models with i-Pilot / Humminbird link capabilities. I haven't found any reviews of the product itself, but less than 1/2 price of a new motor. Has anyone on this site done this? Any feedback on the upgrade?

Thanks!

@14ft_boat I didn't know that was a thing ipilot link really intregues me however It would more so if I had humminbird vs Lowrance. Curious also on reviews. I'll keep an eye out.

Back