Targeting Bows

LongLines

Hey Guys, been out of Burwell and Nanticoke more times this year than I have been in the past 2. Been doing okay targeting and landing eyes. But for the life of me I haven’t caught a single Bow since 2017. Haven’t even hooked up with one. Is there a specific way to actually go about catching these elusive fish. Wouldn’t mind catching a few for the smoker and the grill. Any help would be appreciated. I run 2 Dipseys and a couple Leadcore out on boards usually but can run 4 Dipseys or 4 lead if need be. Boat is 1750 Crestliner Fishhawk, so 4 rods is comfortable for me.

I know nothing about boards but lead I would run near the top using spoons orange pink flutters etc had some success down riggers with a cheater line also works with spoons

You might want to go where the bows are they are getting lots out of Erieau and Wheatley lately.Orange spoons and Jerry Lee another good one.

If I am targeting Bows in LBP, I find flashy bright silver presentations (spoons mostly) are best. And troll fast, over 3.0MPH. Rainbows are not scared of boat noise and like an aggressive presentation. Myself, I run riggers and will throw a spoon with a very short lead (15-20 feet) behind the cannon ball, specific for the bows. The cheaters have produced a few as well. This may be a little harder to duplicate running lead lines. I'd work with the dispey's first.

Indeed. According to the guide to eating Sportfish (thanks Spincast) - you can eat 8 Rainbow Trout servings per month from Lake Ontario (Western Basin) compared to just 4 from Lake Erie's Eastern basin in the 12-14 inch range and it doesn't change much as you get into bigger fish. I learned something today. Lake O rainbows have less toxins than Lake Erie bows... who woulda thunk?

Just wondering, are Gobies as prevalent in Lake Ontario as they are in Erie?

Just wondering, are Gobies as prevalent in Lake Ontario as they are in Erie?
Yup, if not even more. They have become prime bait for bottom feeders like lake trout and browns.. they are so prominent across the entire great lakes they are now a major component in the doing chain. For those who like to jig in the great lakes, you may want to check out Meegs jigs. He makes a goby jig that, from my friends who use it, consistently puts fish in the boat

Indeed. According to the guide to eating Sportfish (thanks Spincast) - you can eat 8 Rainbow Trout servings per month from Lake Ontario (Western Basin) compared to just 4 from Lake Erie's Eastern basin in the 12-14 inch range and it doesn't change much as you get into bigger fish. I learned something today. Lake O rainbows have less toxins than Lake Erie bows... who woulda thunk?
OH no, I think I'm doomed. Ate the better half of a 5 lb. Lake Erie bow in 3 days. Maybe that will explain the weird growth from my forehead.

OH no, I think I'm doomed. Ate the better half of a 5 lb. Lake Erie bow in 3 days. Maybe that will explain the weird growth from my forehead.
I wasn't suggesting you were doomed for eating Lake Erie bows... I just suggested that I learned Lake O bows are safer. I found it interesting to learn this because I too had a prejudice against Lake O and I think many others do also. The suggestion to go to Lake O and catch bows (where they are plentiful, easier to catch and apparently "cleaner") was a good one... Also sounds like some are sensitive to the suggestion that Lake O has cleaner bows...

I have caught close to 50 bows this year in Lake O and about 10 in Lake Erie and I definitely prefer the Lake Erie bows! Lake O bows dont have have the bright red color that most lake Erie bows do and they taste better also.

Dont know about the toxins but If start growing an additional arm all the better maybe then I can pull in a double header at the same time!!

Yea lake o bows dont have the sweet colour of an erie bow..cohos do..some lake ont bows do as well they tend to be smaller bullet shape..

Hey Guys, been out of Burwell and Nanticoke more times this year than I have been in the past 2. Been doing okay targeting and landing eyes. But for the life of me I haven’t caught a single Bow since 2017. Haven’t even hooked up with one. Is there a specific way to actually go about catching these elusive fish. Wouldn’t mind catching a few for the smoker and the grill. Any help would be appreciated. I run 2 Dipseys and a couple Leadcore out on boards usually but can run 4 Dipseys or 4 lead if need be. Boat is 1750 Crestliner Fishhawk, so 4 rods is comfortable for me.
Was in Glasgow last week got 6 bows. 3 setting back 150 155 with greasy chicken copper Back. Running 6 rods different settings the 150 setting toke them all. Only problem running 6 rods and hooking a bow expect cutting and re tying a few times.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks