Targeting bows at burwell

onmedic

I catch the odd bow out of Burwell while trolling for walleye but I want to try and target rainbows. Any tips? ie, faster, slower, in closer, up higher?

Always catch a few at first light,DEEP, not sure about the up high Dutch that seems odd. They generally like temps in the high 40s or low 50s. I would go to lake O if you really want to target just bows. IMHO.

Flutter spoons with lots of flash. I like to start around 2.2mph GPS. Then speed it up if I'm picking up to much junk. Watch and trust your graph set line just above what your marking. I usually target the top half of the water column this time of year. Hope this helps. I've caught them as early as June 1st. Out of bruce. Planer board and 4-5 color leadcore.

Slower for picks and faster for bows has always been a staple rule for me. 2.2 - 2.7 MPH should be a good range. As stated above, water temp will determine where they will like to sit in the column of water.

We got two bows last weekend out of burwell, flatlining a deep diving body bait and on an orange crush on a dipsey set 60' back on a #3 setting, we've had them hit our cheaters in the middle of july too.

I catch the majority of my bows on deep diving body baits such as Reef Runners, Rapala Tail Dancers and Live Target. Spoons are also good in NBK, watermelon, greasy chicken, yellow monkey puke, sister sludge colours with silver backs running in the water column they are feeding at on any particular day. I like the darker colours especially purple early morning or evening. Even when just targeting bows you will still pick up walleye regardless. Don't be afraid to pick up the speed if things are slow because bows are FAST and don't mind the challenge of smacking a fast moving target. In fact I think they thrive on it. The bows are plentiful this time of year, start in around 42 fow and troll out until you find them. Not seeing them on your fish finder means nothing as they're always on the prowl coming from out of nowhere to hit your bait. Good luck with the silver air jumping masters! :)

Hey if you want to catch limits of rainbows consistently you need to find them. Port glasgow is my number one choice for 20 fish days...further west is Erieau and Wheatly and they are equally is good. Out of these ports you need to locate baitfish and the preffered cool water temps to find and stay on the fish, sometimes way out in the shipping canals in 75 FOW. I don't use body baits with there small treble hooks fishin for trout and salmon. I use spoons and replace some of the trebles with single siwash hooks, I put out a selection of different makes and colours to see whats producing, then i will match it up. You also have a good chance of catching a few coho in with the rainbows. I run sliders off the riggers. I run dipsey divers, I use lead core fishin walleye off the planer boards.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks