Off Topic Survival Suit

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
On my recent Musky outing, I broke out my Mustang survival suit for the 1st time in a couple of years. It likely didn't smell too good before the pandemic. @Mrs. Stomp , God bless her, had reorganized our basement recently and, as part of that work, had my suit wrapped up in a nice compact ball where it had remained for over a year. Well, some sort of fermentation or other biological process must have happened, because that thing now stinks to high heaven. I certainly don't have to worry about social distancing when wearing that suit. I'm lucky that @G.Mech and Owen didn't toss me in for another coldwater swim to try to wash off the stench.

So. I'm in the market for a new suit. I'm leaning towards another Mustang but am considering the cheaper First Watch at Angling Outfitters. Anyone have experience with First Watch? Any suggestions about 1 or 2 piece?

I just purchased the Mustang MS195HX Integrity Flotation Suit - Red/Carbon from Poco Marine in BC for $549 free shipping. Was at least $250 less than anywhere else. Arrived in 5 days and it is a great suit from what I can tell. Very nimble foam and double patches on knees and elbows.

I wear striker hardwater bib for ice fishing and it is by far the best bib I have ever owned. It has an adjustable inseam so if you are short like me they can be adjusted. They float and have a reversible zipper so you can pee without taking them off (some don’t 🤷🏼) this is a $400 bib but well worth it. I’m going out long point tomorrow wearing it. I will post pictures tomorrow. I wear a heated hoodie underneath ($100 Amazon) toasty.

I just purchased the Mustang MS195HX Integrity Flotation Suit - Red/Carbon from Poco Marine in BC for $549 free shipping. Was at least $250 less than anywhere else. Arrived in 5 days and it is a great suit from what I can tell. Very nimble foam and double patches on knees and elbows.
@Maestrolaker , does that suit have enough insulation for ice fishing ?

On my recent Musky outing, I broke out my Mustang survival suit for the 1st time in a couple of years. It likely didn't smell too good before the pandemic. @Mrs. Stomp , God bless her, had reorganized our basement recently and, as part of that work, had my suit wrapped up in a nice compact ball where it had remained for over a year. Well, some sort of fermentation or other biological process must have happened, because that thing now stinks to high heaven. I certainly don't have to worry about social distancing when wearing that suit. I'm lucky that @G.Mech and Owen didn't toss me in for another coldwater swim to try to wash off the stench.

So. I'm in the market for a new suit. I'm leaning towards another Mustang but am considering the cheaper First Watch at Angling Outfitters. Anyone have experience with First Watch? Any suggestions about 1 or 2 piece?
Be dammed if I would throw my mustang survival suit away because it smelled. If your personal laundry machine at home cant handle it, consider a trip to a proper laundry mat with the facilities to launder such an item. In the future you might consider hanging the suit in a closet so it can breath like any other long term storage article of clothing. JMO

I wash our mustang coats in the bathtub with tide then rinse them off and hang to dry

You gotta know when to fold 'em @maytagman ... the thing has gotta be 30 years old.
Oh, so the dense foam has likely lost it's bouyancy. I have two like that, both Mustangs. Maybe someone is looking for a deal.

My old Mustang is definitely 30+ years old... 20 some years ago i got to close to a Mr Heater and burned the bum on it... I contacted them and sent it to BC... They patched the bum and a couple other nicks it had and replaced the foam in the legs... NO CHARGE... i just paid the shipping... I have another Helly Hanson that was very expensive that hangs in the basement and i wear this old one... Super comfortable and pliable and warm... I'd take your old one to a laundry mat and give it a rinse or maybe a dry cleaner has some advice...

157555066_10165046838480357_6994179679006383016_n.jpg

2 piece...... the number 2 being the important part, 1 piece means you only get to go number 1.
Don't worry @stomp just get one like this and you will be all set. 😁

covergalls-features.png

74388E72-F8A6-4594-A927-53378C693A05.jpeg

This is a striker hardwater bib. It is a float bib and by far the most comfortable one I have ever used. It has magnetic zipper covers, line cutter and pocket towels that attach to the front (in photo left knee) great for this time of year. Our biggest perch today was 13” out Old Cut. lots of big ones out there🎣👆

My son went through the ice on Lake Simcoe 3 yrs ago . -27 degrees C 2 miles from shore . He was wearing a Mustang Integrity suit one piece. Without it i doubt this story would have had a happy ending . Cant say enough good things about the suit . We use them on the Niagara River in the winter all the time . If you go under in a 2 piece ,you will get wet and then cold.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks