Surface Drive Horse Power pick?

Just picked up a 1436 jon boat, need to pick out a surface drive motor. The horse power options from Mud Skipper are 7.5 hp or 15 hp, the 7.5 hp weighs 85lbs and the 15 hp weighs at 135 lbs. Boat would be loaded with two guys, dog, guns and dozen decoys, would be used in the inner marsh blinds and once in while going to blinds #2 and #3.
Can I get some feedback on which motor to pick?
Mud Skipper has a distributer in Ontario now
Video 2 guys with 1436 and 7.5 hp surface drive Video 2 guys, dog and gear 15 hp https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Ovi2sUZRH3I
Thanks

Last edited:
I myself would not recommend a 1436 square bow jonboat after having a bad experience with one. I use a regular 14 foot tinnie with a 16 HP longtail Go-Devil as it holds more gear/weight, is more stable to drive and the Bow cuts through any waves.

To answer your question about HP ? Go as big as you can as every pound you put in the boat requires more energy to move it.

Whatever you decide always, always, always wear the "Kill Engine" lanyard.

Hello Dirty Harry,

It is a "mud motor" so you may find yourself unexpectantly in some fairly shallow water at times due to the change in the wind ... better have that extra power just in case.

Please exercise caution with any "jon boat" outside of the inner marsh as a west wind can really turn up Coletta Bay quickly ... some individuals have been swamped there.

Jerome

I have a hard time believing a 7hp is pushing a 1436 at 15mph. I had a 7hp mud skipper in a 1436 years ago. The boat wouldn’t even get up on plane. If I had to guess it might have done 8-10mph.
I now have a 6ft go devil frame with a 459cc 16hp on a 1436. 2 guys, 3 doz decoys and a dog the boat runs 13-14. Just by myself it’ll run 18mph.
I’ll take my jon boat out to little rice on low winds days, I’ve boated from old cut to the big creek blinds with it. You just have to pick your days to venture out into the open water.

Your average 14 foot jon boats carrying capacity is 600 pounds as opposed to your average 14 foot tinnie capacity of 1000 pounds and it doesn't take long to fill those numbers with all the gear we take out hunting. Jon boats don't have the freeboard like a regular tinnie and can ship water way too easy as I found out the hard way and that is why I won't use them.

I have a hard time believing a 7hp is pushing a 1436 at 15mph. I had a 7hp mud skipper in a 1436 years ago. The boat wouldn’t even get up on plane. If I had to guess it might have done 8-10mph.
I now have a 6ft go devil frame with a 459cc 16hp on a 1436. 2 guys, 3 doz decoys and a dog the boat runs 13-14. Just by myself it’ll run 18mph.
I’ll take my jon boat out to little rice on low winds days, I’ve boated from old cut to the big creek blinds with it. You just have to pick your days to venture out into the open water.
Good day Brandon, do you have floatation pods on your 1436 jon boat? Apparently they are supposed to add about 200lbs of floatation, thinking of putting them on my boat

Good day Brandon, do you have floatation pods on your 1436 jon boat? Apparently they are supposed to add about 200lbs of floatation, thinking of putting them on my boat
I do not. It has cross my mind to build some but the boat seems to do alright how it is. I’m sure it would make the boat a lot more stable but I’m not really too concerned. I’d like to upgrade to a 1648 with a 25-35hp surface but I doubt that’s going to happen anytime soon. Can’t justify spending 15k on another hunting boat.

I run a 14ft jon boat with a 9 horse go devil mud motor, Its on the slow side but I have never had a concern with that boat going to any blind in the unit on any wind direction or speed. I wouldn't cross going to blind 2 on a 50km east wind but that's about it, but even then I would just hug the weeds in 2 feet of water if I was worried.
I'm not sure what my motor weighs but you could look up the specs on it, it is a tad heavy but if you put flotation pods on it be fine,
If it was me I would go with more power always if possible specially with the low water

Glad we have this forum, thank you to all!
My jon boat should be ready to go in a couple weeks. If your ever down in long point I’ll take you for a ride and you can see what it’s like. Maybe that’ll help you decide on how big of a motor to run on your

Hello Guys,

For what it is worth ... Wayne May at Sandboy Marina once told me years ago that a 14 foot V-Hull boat with a 20 HP outboard is the minimum for the Inner Bay taking into consideration the cold weather and unpredictable weather later in the waterfowl season.

Jerome

True, a 14 foot tinnie with a 20HP is as close as you will get to an "all around perfect boat" for hunting Long Point but... there is no one perfect boat. Hence to get back in there where the puddlers are landing you need a mud motor or if you are after divers you are going to need something a whole lot bigger. A lot depends on water levels and Mother Nature's mood but over the decades I've done it all in my tinnies.

Back to @Dirtyharry question; You asked about Surface Drives right ? Had to research that one and it makes sense somebody would make a small unit... very interesting ! My experience is with 10HP or 16HP LongTails but can see the advantage of not having to stand up to operate it plus not having 8 feet of steel dangling off the end of the boat. My answer is the same, go as big as you can and/or afford. Good luck with your Jon boat, keep your weight in the middle or aft and always, always, always wear the Kill Engine lanyard.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks