Stuffed Peppers and Ice Huts

Mrs. Stomp

Staff member
There’s been a lot of talk of ice fishing in the @stomp residence as of late, and combined with a visit to see my mom and dad today, I decided to dig out a picture of my dad’s old ice hut. It’s something he built from scrap materials and used to drag out onto Lake Erie using my old sled. Please note the sled is actually much older than I am. My mom would be in tow carrying the minnow bucket. They have lots of happy memories of those trips, except when mom dropped the bucket and the minnows splattered all over the ice..

It’s stuffed peppers for dinner with a side of buffalo chicken for the one family member who doesn’t like ground beef… except if @stomp BBQs her a super thin burger.

I hope those of you who are ice fishing this year are creating good memories, enjoying fresh fish and have a warmer hut!

1613595161122.png

Looks like what I can remember from my time on the BOQ. Our heater was a tobacco steel can with a toilet paper roll stuffed in as a wick and for fuel we used methyl hydrate or gas line antifreeze. It was easier than hauling wood out.

Are your stuffed peppers home made?

a guy I work with makes stuffed peppers from his pepper plants in the garden and freezes them. I was considering doing that this year plant a few extra pepper plants just to have a stash of frozen stuffed peppers.

Yes, I stuff the peppers with the usual stuff... ground beef, rice, onions, crushed tomatoes... but my peppers are not home grown. Great idea to have some stuffed in the freezer ready to go - had not thought of that. I freeze a lot of food, especially when chicken is on sale! I'm hoping next year I can grow some peppers - bought the seeds and ready to start the indoor sprouting in a few weeks.

1613614787858.png

Are your stuffed peppers home made?

a guy I work with makes stuffed peppers from his pepper plants in the garden and freezes them. I was considering doing that this year plant a few extra pepper plants just to have a stash of frozen stuffed peppers.
IMO, growing them at home is just not worth the effort, especially when the commercial ones hit the stands. I've been growing them for 6 years and I just can't compete with the quality and size, especially the size, of commercial grown peppers. I'm giving up this year, going to buy a bushel and stuff those. We use same ingredients as Mrs. S. with red pepper flakes sprinkled throughout. Try stuffing red peppers, totally different taste.

Start your pepper seedlings inside where it’s nice and warm. Get them to be a decent size and make sure the climate outside is warm (night temperature above 13 degrees) before putting them in the ground. Pick the early flowers off while inside to keep them growing leaves. Also if you only let (x) amount of pepperflowers set per plant should help with size of fruit.
USE FERTILIZER very important. The spot you pick to put them in the ground should receive lots of sunlight.
Peppers harvested should be bigger than hothouse peppers

I use ground venison in my peppers... OMG ! To die for ! Good advice Derkd9 , thanks ! There is also something about what type of plants to plant near each other as it affects their growth/health. Like cabbage doesn't like tomatoes nearby. I think I read about it in the Farmers Almanac.

Some plants will change the ph of the soil more then others
So if you have a plant that prefers alkaline soils and you plant next to a type of plant that will lower the soil ph and make it more acidic then the alkaline loving plant will be negatively affected

OLCP: That is no longer permitted in Canada, so don't give it another thought.... lol

@stomp: Yes OLD age kicking in again. I will have to go over my replies several times now, IF I can remember.. Thx..

First of all, welcome aboard Mrs. Stomp! It is truly a privilege to see the "Boss's" Boss on this site. Lov'n "The Galley" and the recipes! Thanks for this Stomp though my cardiologist doesn't share my enthusiasm. Stuffed peppers are one of my favorites and my wonderful and beautiful partner in life ( she told me that she doesn't like me using the term "Lady Friend"), her name is Tcharlii and she makes her peppers with bear and elk along with the basic ingredients but adds potatoes, water chestnuts and some other crunchy Romanian things that she calls..."love". In addition, she introduces some "hot Sauce" and garlic to the meat during preparation. These are cooked on the bbq or wood fire. I don't know if it is the cooking technique, ingredients or a combination of both but these things are in a taste category all of their own! Amazing!!!
So, don't restrict yourselves to ground beef, try wild game some time...delicious!!!

There’s been a lot of talk of ice fishing in the @stomp residence as of late, and combined with a visit to see my mom and dad today, I decided to dig out a picture of my dad’s old ice hut. It’s something he built from scrap materials and used to drag out onto Lake Erie using my old sled. Please note the sled is actually much older than I am. My mom would be in tow carrying the minnow bucket. They have lots of happy memories of those trips, except when mom dropped the bucket and the minnows splattered all over the ice..

It’s stuffed peppers for dinner with a side of buffalo chicken for the one family member who doesn’t like ground beef… except if @stomp BBQs her a super thin burger.

I hope those of you who are ice fishing this year are creating good memories, enjoying fresh fish and have a warmer hut!

View attachment 37773
Love stuffed peppers. My mother being Italian made them often. Unfortunately she passed before my wife learned how

First of all, welcome aboard Mrs. Stomp! It is truly a privilege to see the "Boss's" Boss on this site. Lov'n "The Galley" and the recipes! Thanks for this Stomp though my cardiologist doesn't share my enthusiasm. Stuffed peppers are one of my favorites and my wonderful and beautiful partner in life ( she told me that she doesn't like me using the term "Lady Friend"), her name is Tcharlii and she makes her peppers with bear and elk along with the basic ingredients but adds potatoes, water chestnuts and some other crunchy Romanian things that she calls..."love". In addition, she introduces some "hot Sauce" and garlic to the meat during preparation. These are cooked on the bbq or wood fire. I don't know if it is the cooking technique, ingredients or a combination of both but these things are in a taste category all of their own! Amazing!!!
So, don't restrict yourselves to ground beef, try wild game some time...delicious!!!
Thank you for the welcome .... and to the others who have given me the thumbs up to join! Wild game is taking me out of my comfort zone - which rumor has it is good for you. I do enjoy trying new fruits and vegetables, spices etc., but new *meat* takes it to a whole different level. I remain open to learning!

Love stuffed peppers. My mother being Italian made them often. Unfortunately she passed before my wife learned how
I'm hoping to hear about other Italian things you/your wife have in your repertoire. Love Italian food!

@Mrs. Stomp do you have any good recipes for cooking Eggplant?
I wanted to try an Eggplant Lasagna but have been hesitant to pull the trigger, investing the time and effort to make it.

Thank you for the welcome .... and to the others who have given me the thumbs up to join! Wild game is taking me out of my comfort zone - which rumor has it is good for you. I do enjoy trying new fruits and vegetables, spices etc., but new *meat* takes it to a whole different level. I remain open to learning!
unless I missed something a separate "forum" for cooking shtuff sounds like a good idea given the amount of showoff cooking that's being posted (y) make the mrs stomp the mediator???(y)

memo to self:
must--- get--- eyes--- checked----sorry bout that:rolleyes::eek:

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks