Fishing Report Stanley @ 70'

Cruised out to 70' @ 180 due south of Stanley to burn off more of the old fuel. Turned around and set up the lead core @ 9/10 color with the black/purple spoon (again) @2.9-3.5 mph. Managed 5 eyes. kept 1, released 1 and lost 3 at the boat (solo). Got quiet so I switched to blue/silver spoon @ 5 color and hooked 2 nice bows however, since I sold my smoker, I let the line slack and the bows spit out the hooks. All good! Now the interesting part. I decided to try a set up my late friend Paps willed me, a massive reel spooled with 350 yards of braid along with a blue/silver spoon with pink/orange small stripes and copper back. He said it brought him luck on the coast. Threw out 70 yards and returned to the helm. 5 minutes later the rod exploded!!! The tip went straight down and something was stripping line at a ridiculous rate. It never stopped stripping until it emptied the spool and snapped the line. So, what the hell was that? Are there big Kings in Erie? I'm more pissed that I lost the spoon.
Had a similar situation last week, but before I was out of line I managed to get the other lines in and my pilot kicked the boat in reverse. We managed to chase down, land a release one of the biggest bows I’ve ever seen come off of Erie. He was foul hooked between his fins on his belly and man did he run.

Have to agree with mick on this. That's likely a king......have been catching more of them the past few years off long point. Once in a while we will hit a screamer LT but never near spooling us. I'd guess you hit it in the side while it was lying there up high and you never had a chance of turning it. ..lots of fun until you hear ..ting.

thinking back in my erie fishing archives...I had one screamng big bow hammer my proking cracked ice off the rigger at first light offshore stanley...incredible hard hit long & fast run..but never spooled..my personal best erie bow come off the south side of the point @ 17 lbs..
the only bow ever ever to spool me and break me off was down at the whirpool early oct... big & powerful in that current..

I hooked into something huge last weekend too right around the same area. Was in 65ft due south of Port Stanley and it peeled line like crazy but had 300 yards of 80# braid so never spoiled me out. Fought hard, tugging and peeling line much faster then boat speed. Fought it until it straightened out the rear hook on the RRF I was running and was gone. Must of been only lightly hooked with only one or two barbs. Was on a dipsey #3 back 140ft so not on surface at all.

My disadvantage that day was being on the boat solo. When something is stripping your line and you are at the stern, another line in the water and your helm is 8' away, you're kinda screwed! Glad these events don't happen very often.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks