Stainless steel wire vs braid for Downriggers??

FlyingViking

Looking to potentially switch to braid over stainless steel downrigger cable. I fish deep on Lake O sometimes exceeding 150 feet. Blowback on canon balls can be large. Hence the thought about braid with smaller diameters.

Anyone have any experience in such a switch? Pro’s vs Coms?

Gracias

Looking to potentially switch to braid over stainless steel downrigger cable. I fish deep on Lake O sometimes exceeding 150 feet. Blowback on canon balls can be large. Hence the thought about braid with smaller diameters.

Gracias
Wow 150 down... I have never fished Lake 'O' 150 feet down. What is the main catch down there?... As for braid on your rigger I think the weight is so heavy, that it would dig into the line already on the spool and cause a problem. Just my thoughts. :giggle:

Last edited:
Late summer we send down flashers and meat or magnum black moonshine’s. In the late summer, we usually have one rod in between 100 and 150. If that rod goes off, it’s gonna be a pig of a king or a slob of a laker (unfortunately).. most charters I know send one “to the basement” on lake O.

I had the same thought on the line diggin into itself and I run 15lb weights. When I’m musky fishing with 50lb braid it can dig in on occasion but the fall 100lb test doesn’t so I’m wondering if the 250lb braid is safe.

Wondering is anyone has measured experience with it.

Scotty brand sells some and I was always planning on replacing my SS cable with it as soon as SS gets worn, but hasn't happened yet. But I plan on it.

Thing is...I really like the hum from the SS cable though, apparently you don't get that with braid.

If you have cannon riggers braid will mess up their function. Braid is quiet but may snap if bottom is hit.

I've used both and prefer the braid. Quieter and easier to handle. No issues down a hundred feet with 10lb ball. Only ran it for a year then switched boats now have cannons so no braid on them as the auto up needs an electrical connection to stop. I use 500lb test and kept an eye on the last 10 feet by the ball

Gracias
I switched 3 years ago. Braid is quiet works fine on my canon 10’s. Been down 100’ many times. Never tried deeper but can’t see it making much difference.
Run your weights down 100’ watch the angle of drag. Then put down your 20 lb co polymer with a flasher and 6” spoon. Your drag will be twice the angle.
It’s not just the cable that causes drag.
Fishing is more fun than Tragicomic calculations, I think?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks