St Williams Feb 2

ch312

After a very late start we parked at the top of the hill around 1030am and drove the sled down to grab some minnows. Definitely no shortage of minnows in their tank.

Ice is great for machines and walking.

Water is clear with no noticeable current.

First spot was straight towards Bait Island a few hundred yards past the pack with only a few guys out farther. Small schools would arrive and stick around for a couple minutes before taking off.

Moved back towards shore and maybe 100 yards from the brown huts where the action was better.

Fish were very aggressive until 4pm when they stopped rushing baits and started showing little interest. Used the same lure (2" jigging spoon with dropper chain) and pickerel rigs (modded with spinner blades for flash) all day with no reason to switch until the end.

Size of minnows made zero difference today with 1-3" all working great.

Me and the 5 year old brought home 30 fish ranging 9-12" with easily that many dinks released and dozens of keepers missed, lost or dropped back down the hole. Not bad for 5 hrs of fishing.

Now the bad part of the day...3 dead mud puppies and trying to explain senseless killing to a 5 year old. Why the hell do some feel the need to kill incidental catches and toss them on the ice? Does losing a 15 cent minnow and 15 seconds of time really justify killing a native species that takes so long to mature? As the 5 year old put it....those guys are jerks.

Ill post more details and pics tomorrow.

One more thing....check your license! For the first time in around 15 years i forgot to renew before fishing and small game expired. Luckily the nice Mr CO gave me the opportunity to buy it online!

Sucks to lead by example to your kids and then have to then explain the actions of other peoples senseless actions :banghead: looking forward to the photos (y)

Thanks for the report. Going out tomorrow to give it a go. All the gear is in the truck, just need to load the quad and hit the road.

Your 5 yr old is obviously much smarter than some of the adults that were on the ice before him.
Nice to hear you and him had a good day aside for the R-soles that were there before you. And Kudos to the understanding CO for cutting you some slack.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks