Fishing Report St. Williams EC10 farther out ice?

John

Guys going farther out near EC10 are getting into the jumbos. Anyone know how much ice is out there?

I went for a spin out there this morning to drop off a spud my to my buddy , I really don’t think there’s any open water , he’s 3/4 the way to ec10 and sitting on 9 inches of ice , I did see another SUV well out past 1st crack 90F4C362-F51D-4628-BCD9-DD700C79A8CF.jpeg

🎵Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, are we ever dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, why, why, why, whyyyyy…🎶🎵 Hope the silly twat has Coast Guard rescue on speed dial…. Chance a $30k vehicle vs buying a $3k beater sled or quad…. Or $10 at Collins…

Is 9” not good for a vehicle that size?
How many inches would you guys want before driving out?

After 50 years I would not drive out now, atv-sled-outfitter, be safe and have a good trip.

Minimum recommendations

Motor and Wheels Ice Article

I'm waiting for +40 inches of ice thank you very much.

Also, it's not just the travel over the ice, it's the dead weight sitting in one spot for a long time.

Ice flexes and has a breaking point, hence speed limitations for vehicles on ice.

Last edited:
Is 9” not good for a vehicle that size?
How many inches would you guys want before driving out?
Letter of the law, 9” of clear ice is fine for a small SUV, however the ice is thinner at shore and progressively thick toward the middle of the sheet. We were about 1.5 km out yesterday and the ice was still variable from 8-10” Also, the inner bay is different from Nipissing or even Simcoe in that it is a wedge of ice connecting to a much large body of open water. Yesterday, there was a pressure crack that we physically felt move sideways. I had the tiniest poop when it happened, lol. My buddy was outside the pressure crack last week and when they went to come back to shore, they had to look for a good place to cross with quads as it had opened up a bit while they were out there. IMO it’s a foolish game to play on LPB as it’s much less stable than northern lakes.

After 50 years I would not drive out now, atv-sled-outfitter, be safe and have a good trip.
Oh I won’t be driving out. I drive a truck. The only time I’ve taken it on the ice was temagami. 18” of ice

Letter of the law, 9” of clear ice is fine for a small SUV, however the ice is thinner at shore and progressively thick toward the middle of the sheet. We were about 1.5 km out yesterday and the ice was still variable from 8-10” Also, the inner bay is different from Nipissing or even Simcoe in that it is a wedge of ice connecting to a much large body of open water. Yesterday, there was a pressure crack that we physically felt move sideways. I had the tiniest poop when it happened, lol. My buddy was outside the pressure crack last week and when they went to come back to shore, they had to look for a good place to cross with quads as it had opened up a bit while they were out there. IMO it’s a foolish game to play on LPB as it’s much less stable than northern lakes.
First I thought someone crashed into the shack I was in the after shock was my massive fart when I felt the ice shift..
I would have shit but I made sure I wouldn’t have to shit before I left the house in the morning

Last edited:
First I thought someone crashed into the shack I was the after shock was my massive fart when I felt the ice shift..
I would have shit but I made sure I wouldn’t have to shit before I left the house in the morning
It was pretty cool, but also a bit freaky. I’ve slept on the ice on Nipissing many times and it’s effin’ cool to hear and feel the thunderous cracks as the ice reforms through the night when the temps drop, but it’s nothing like that shift was!

10 inches wouod be adequate for that vehicle. The ice was strong last week , wouod be fine but I'd still rather take the Honda even if its a colder ride

My son and his buddy went through a number of years ago--bubbling gas well with just a skim of ice. Both trikes --that's how long ago it was-- floated upside down. As we were getting them out a passerby stopped and said "that was open water yesterday" Too late for us.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks