St Clair Musky ?

jamieharrower24

Hey all, so this year now after the cottage in Parry Sound was sold last fall Ive decided to keep my boat down at Luken Marina for the season and go full on into the Musky challenge. Coming from mostly always pulling spoons for Lake Trout the last 20 years Ive got alot to learn. Talking with some guys down there Ive started to learn the different spots to try ie. "240 Hole" "The Hump" etc. I took my dad out on fathers day for the first time out this season and did net a little 36" at the hump. My question specifically in regards to St Clair is do guys get hits in area for instance right now between the mouth of the Thames and Ruscom ? I heard some guys were in 14 FOW trolling for Eyes and grabbed a couple musky. I went over to that area to see what was on the finder and I don't see any weeds or structure of any sorts. Do these Musky frequent areas that resemble a giant mall parking lot ??? It just seems odd to me they would be somewhere like that . Any advise or hints to this lake would be greatly appreciated. FYI Im very conscience of getting a quick release and Iam in the middle of welding up an aluminum revival tank Ive seen on some threads to increase survival rate.

Jamie

We fish there from now till December 15th.

The majority of our action comes from the east side of the lake at “the wall” where there is a nice looong (north to south) drop off. Goes from 6 feet to 14 rather quick.

We cast there or along there and there is a good defined weed line. Never been skunked at the Wall.

Casting regular shadzillas this time of year and number 8 cowbells.

As the season drags on, we usually hit the mouth of the Thames from beginning of October onwards. And upsize the baits.

If you are trolling, the east side as well is where most guys troll.

Some of my most memorable trips trolling in the middle of summer have taken place straight out front of the mouth of the Ruscom everywhere from 14 - 18 fow. Used to have 3 coordinates that formed a triangle that consistently produced for me year after year. Best day I can remember with 2 of us in the boat we went 26 for 33 with many other trips boating 10 to 16 rather on my own or with a friend. Took time to figure out the pattern but once you did you definitely knew it.
As mentioned above, the wall can also produce well but can also get busy. .
My best suggestion is to get out there, cover some water and don't get stuck on on color or a certain trolling pattern. Look for bait, mudlines or lightly stained water and don't be afraid to change baits

This time of year, you are best to find the early growing weedbeds and focus on them. There is a decent one right off Ruscom river and also along east shore near the 'wall' @FlyingViking mentioned above. I did well trolling off Ruscom last year around this time and also got a few up the east shore but finding weeds was the key. Later in the year, you'll be cursing them but for now they're gold! There were some reports on here last July that may be helpful if you do a search...

Last edited:
Thanks for some input fellas, it just seemed strange to me that they would be found in these wide open flat spaces with no weeds or vegetation. Lots of learning to do on this lake. Just looking at navionics web app at work here and I definitely see "the wall" mentioned off st lukes. ;)

Thanks for some input fellas, it just seemed strange to me that they would be found in these wide open flat spaces with no weeds or vegetation. Lots of learning to do on this lake. Just looking at navionics web app at work here and I definitely see "the wall" mentioned off st lukes. ;)
Are you planning to cast or trolling?

Consider a charter to learn the area, that’s what I did, was very helpful. I used Rampage twice and they were great, but there’s others as well!
Good Luck

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks