St Catherine’s

Dmanwithnoname

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I guess I’ve been voluntold that I’m doing 22 days of training in st Catherine’s over Jan and Feb. Does anyone know of any ice fishing opportunities in the area? Looks like I’ll be like 5 days on, then back to London for a week and repeat. Any input is appreciated. Already reached out to peters bait and tackle via email. Cheers 🍻

I lived and fished St Catharines most of my life, ice fishing is limited but a few good spots are Port Dalhousie Pier Marina. It's not open for fishing in the open water months but I believe you can still ice fish there in the winter, it can get crowded sometimes now, but you can get some real nice perch if you find them. Trick is to move around find some old weeds and drill to you find the fish. Pike and the odd Rainbow will also bite while fishing perch, don't be surprised if you set into a nice bow and then just hold on because it will be a battle. The marina behind the Beacon in Jordon is another spot when the ice forms, be carefull around the mouth the ice can be scary there, Perch, Browns and Rainbow can be caught there. I mostly fished the channel in Port D bottom bouncing streamers in the winter for Browns and Rainbows, either side of the harbour can be good. Take a walk and check out the locals bottom bouncing, most will show you the rigs and techniques if you start up a friendly conversation that's probably the best way to figure it out. Just be polite and friendly and I'm sure you'll meet some good people to fish with and learn the techniques, trouting can be really good in the winter and a lot of fun. lots of fishing in the area and yes stop in at Pete's they can be very helpfull and have all the gear to fish the local spots.

Martindale pond above the dam in Port Dalhousie seems to be one of the most popular spots in that area. If ice is safe (or not) you will probably see huts out there. Personally I prefer the open water opportunites Niagara provides all winter but Martindale and the above mentioned are a starting point for hardwater. Most of the local ponds in that area are all tied into the Canal system so they do have some natural currents in areas that need to be taken into consideration too

There’s no fishing at the beacon and the port Dalhousie marina. Most people fish martindale pond.

Not a bad idea, do you have any suggestions?
Paul at Cast Adventures has guided the Niagara for years and will put you on fish. Super-knowledgeable and you will leave with lots of new ideas that will, of course, cause you to stop and drop at least $100 at the tackle store of your choosing. I am heading out with him on Thursday and we will hopefully hit bows, lakers, and browns. https://www.castadventures.com/

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks