Spring smelt netting

FisherPrice

This topic seems to come up every year about this time. The talk of the good ole days (70's-80's) with guys on Turkey Point beach netting buckets of smelts.

I have given this a meager attempt with a local group over the years. Very limited success, but always a fun night out given the challenges of walking through the waters in waders with lights.

I have a good net for the application. We are typically trying the waters on the north shore inside long point. Dover to TP

Has anyone had any better luck than a dozen or two in a night? I've heard the idea that they spawn out deeper now and aren't as available at shore any longer.

I have also heard some stories that Burwell / Hastings way had some better catches a few years back. This always seems to come with limited information however.

Just curious if anyone has some insight on the best time and perhaps location to target them. We aren't looking for buckets full, just a chance to get out and bring home a meal, with a few laughs to go with them.

.. a little early for smelt fishing yet...seems to me it would still be a couple of weeks off...I grew up on the shore of Lake Erie and we always figured around April 15 or so..

They still fish smelt down niagra on the lake. Could tell you the name any rds I just know how to get there by way of land marks. It's down near the mouth for sure but not at the mouth,Queenton. Many MANY people,100s netting down there even a couple guys in Jon boats. I think it's a bit early yet.

good luck smelt fishing...

years ago buddy and I specifically fished niagara river lake trout in the spring drifting smelt..we went to grocery store and bought our fresh smelt...the lake trout come up the river naturally feeding on the spawning smelt...up stream from queenston...it was a straight run/drift and only caught a few...lake ontario use to have lots of lake trout...not sure about now?

we also fished the niagara whirlpool for ice out rainbows early in the spring...ya one saturday mornin same buddy and I drifting spawn bags and all of a sudden tons of ice comes down the rapids and fills up the whirlpool (ya the up & down toilet bowl)..erie ice boom lets out the ice...worst timing ever...and never fished it in the spring again..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks