Spring Pike!!

Hello all!! New to this forum, just got signed up today. My names Matt and I've just got back into fishing within the last few years. I finally got a boat last year and managed to get out to the inner bay a few times. I'm really looking forward to some spring pike fishing out there! When does this typically start? From what ive read the bluff bar is a good spot but since I only have a 16'er I don't want to brave anything crazy to get out there. I'm assuming it'll have to be fair weather? Has anyone had good success fishing the inner bay for early pike? Definitely chomping at the bit to get some casts in :). Any suggestions or advice would be fantastic! Thanks guys and look forward to a long season out there!!!

Dude...lol
People are reluctant to share spots on an open forum like this and rightfully so. If you are new to the Longpoint bay area PM me, I will be happy to help with some areas and techniques.
Ken
Practice C &R....keep the fishery alive and well for years to come.

Haha I figured there'd be one person who would get the reference.

Thanks Ken. I'll most definitely be hitting you up. To clarify I wasn't looking for exact locations but more of a vague guide on where to start.

My main question would be when is a good time to start? It's definitely a moving target due to weather but is there an ideal water temp which they start biting or come back to the shallows? Or can you start flinging baits as soon as the ice is gone?

@TheDudeAbides hold off for the Bluffs yet, its to early for out there. The inner bay will get you more pike. When the water clarity clears up try casting in 5-6' of water just to the west of the Long Point Company (Millionares) Then as time goes on try out by EC10 there are lateral weed beds and cast along side them. Most of my fishing is pike other than those Hastings perch. As for water temp, they can be caught while ice fishing and I'll stop fishing them when the water temp gets up around the high 60's degrees. There's lots of other areas as well. But keep in mind when the Fish Sanctuary is on. Hope this will get you started and good luck!

Haha I figured there'd be one person who would get the reference.

Thanks Ken. I'll most definitely be hitting you up. To clarify I wasn't looking for exact locations but more of a vague guide on where to start.

My main question would be when is a good time to start? It's definitely a moving target due to weather but is there an ideal water temp which they start biting or come back to the shallows? Or can you start flinging baits as soon as the ice is gone?

I didn't get the reference, please explain. Or, am I the only one around here....

TheDubeAbides.....I've fished pike in LPB for 35 years now. I read the recommendations already posted and there isn't much I can add. Typically not too lively bait works best right after ice out and things don't really get much better until water temps reach over 50 degrees F. It's tough getting pike to chase a meal when the water is near freezing, at least in Long Point Bay. Three Bouys gave you some pretty good tips to get you going once things warm up a little. Like Jim, I quit pike fishing once the water temps reach the high 60's. Good Luck.

Isn't the inner bay closed to all fishing until the bass season opens??
No not at all. Only a portion of he bay closes in may until bass open opener. Until then he bay is wide open. After the east half of the bay closes, the west half is still open . This is usually marked fairly well. From my experience the west half had the better pike fishing anyways. On a side note with more and more small to medium size muskie showing up in recent years let's all make sure these get back in the water alive!! It could develop into a outstanding fishery

Hello all!! New to this forum, just got signed up today. My names Matt and I've just got back into fishing within the last few years. I finally got a boat last year and managed to get out to the inner bay a few times. I'm really looking forward to some spring pike fishing out there! When does this typically start? From what ive read the bluff bar is a good spot but since I only have a 16'er I don't want to brave anything crazy to get out there. I'm assuming it'll have to be fair weather? Has anyone had good success fishing the inner bay for early pike? Definitely chomping at the bit to get some casts in :). Any suggestions or advice would be fantastic! Thanks guys and look forward to a long season out there!!!
has anyone heard that season was changed for pike fishing in long point bay for this year?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks