Off Topic Speed vs wake?

the drifter56

Ediquet question.
I launched at the dam in Dunville yesterday. Traveling to the lake I had to maneuver past many vessels fishing.
My boat leaves virtually no wake at 2/3 throttle (approx 40 mph) but leaves a 2' wake at less than that. My question is that I feel that 40 mph is too fast to pass through these areas but the larger wake is very disruptive. Which of the two evils should I is the least evil?

Ediquet question.
I launched at the dam in Dunville yesterday. Traveling to the lake I had to maneuver past many vessels fishing.
My boat leaves virtually no wake at 2/3 throttle (approx 40 mph) but leaves a 2' wake at less than that. My question is that I feel that 40 mph is too fast to pass through these areas but the larger wake is very disruptive. Which of the two evils should I is the least evil?
Ya I was wondering about the same less wake when up on plane
I launch there as well

If I were the guy fishing I think slow is better.For safety for sure.The wake at slow speed is what it is.Buzzing by at 40 mph could be considered a little reckless.

Last edited:
I ride in a little tinner..... I appreciate it when dudes slow down. There's a fella with a 150 thats hammered by me twice in little rice bay now and really disrupts the area and send my boat wobbling like crazy.... Its more of an issue for my girlfriend, who has a nasty fear of water and drowning, so taking her fishing is more about making her comfortable enough to come back.

I recognize this guy because i saw him yell at a dude in a kayak i was talking to (for being too close to the channel for his liking), then he swerved hard towards us at full throttle and took off.

And to note, the guy in the kayak wasn't chilling in the centre of the channel or anything. He crossed the channel and was following the weedline up to the point it makes so he could get around and into the next bay.

...my old Doral kicks a lot of wake off plane...I slow down so that I'm not kicking hardly ANY wake if boats nearby.....sometimes seems like takes a long time to get by the boats but in the grand scheme of things is probably only a minute or two....I know there are people who make the argument that their boat kicks less wake on plane, but if its not safe, (and quite frankly 40 mph is NOT safe...)then take the couple of minutes to really slow down and pass at maybe 10 mph..

If I were the guy fishing I think slow is better.For safety for sure.The wake at slow speed is what it is.Buzzing by at 40 mph could be considered a little reckless.

I agree completely In Port Bruce there are several signs that say the speed in the channel is 6 km/hr (Someone who owns a boat told me that you are considered out of the channel about 35 ft past the end of the pier, or in it. Whether this is true or not I couldn't tell ya.) Part of the reasoning is because you cannot always see what is on the other side of the breakwall or the pier going out or coming in. It's just common sense not to put the throttle down until you are well clear of that pier on your way out, or back it off well before you reach it on the way in. That's the safe and courteous thing to do for both other boats and those whether fishing or not who are on the pier trying to enjoy themselves no differently than you are in your boat.

But, there are many this year and last who come in at full throttle and don't back it down until they have reached the south end of the breakwall, some not until they reach the north end of the breakwall. Likewise, there are many who as soon as they reach the breakwall coming out into the lake, they're putting it down. Every time someone does that, it causes all kinds of waves, some of which break over the pier when the natural waves of the lake are not. That creates yelling and cursing from those on the pier, whether they are fishing or not, because of the inconsiderate actions of those boaters.

Meanwhile many others are barely idling when they go out or come in. They're still moving, they're doing so safely, and courteously, and nobody says anything to them because there is next to nothing causing a major disturbance. Yes, a boat is going to create some wake, and some waves no matter how fast or slow that boat is moving, that's the nature of water displacement, but in shallow water, ie the channel in Pt Bruce since that's the example I've used, the faster you go, the greater the wave you will cause will be.

I haven't seen it personally, but have been told that earlier this year, a boater was still by the breakwall coming out into the lake, put the hammer down with a boat incoming.....that boat was the OPP and they immediately turned on their lights and went after and stopped him. I have also been told that on several different occasions this year boats have been in too close to the pier, and the OPP boat has been in the area, gone out and told them to move out further to avoid any potential mishaps with boats coming out of the channel.

So my opinion is this, be courteous, and use common sense. If you're fishing in an area such as you have described, what would you prefer? Someone coming through in an arguably unsafe, probably inconsiderate manner, or would you appreciate it if they came through in a safe and courteous manner?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was probably that guy in a kayak. I have an orange flag so idiots can see me. I also have a 16' tinny but love to paddle around. I would rather deal with a larger wake at a slower speed than some ass whiping by.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks