Speed/temp probe?

Landlocked

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi All,
Are many trollers using a speed and temp probe? Does it help results on Erie particularly off the Point?
Thanks

I use a Sub Troll 900 on Erie and Ontario. I find it an outstanding tool more for the speed aspect. It tells me quick that the sub surface currents have changed allowing me to adjust accordingly.
In Ontario the temp plays a bigger part than Erie so it is helpful there too.

I use the Fishawk X4D Speed at the ball,temp at the ball, depth at the ball......It has helped put more fish in the box for me...

Have the fish hawk 4xd it is just as important on Erie as on Lake Ontario . You will increase your chances of putting more fish in your cooler with a depth & temp probe .
The x4d runs around the $750.00 dollar price range. Fish Hawk also makes a depth & temp probe that goes on your line very accurate and runs about $140.00 dollars .
Check out the Fish Hawk web site for more info. Trust this helps you.
Boat Happy Pappy

I traded my Ipilot trolling motor for a fish hawk this week and look forward to trying it this weekend....

Easy install, hope it works as good as they say they do.

Will advise.

Cheers

Herefishyfishy

I am picking up my Fish Hawk x4d either tomorrow or Friday, cannot wait to try it out. For Salmon and Trout I believe the speed at the ball should be around 2.2 to 2.4mph and around 52 to 54 degrees temp....is that correct? What about on Erie for Walleye and Bows?

Last edited:
50 to 58 for Kings.....60 to 70 for wally"s.....Bows...I think...LoL

They work. They tell you speed and temp at the cannonball which is great if you can digest and use the information it provides. They are another source of information that can be very helpful or very confusing but you have to learn how to use them effectively and to do so you need to be on the water quite a bit. I run one and have learned a lot from it but now I only get out a few times a year, I'd probably be better off leaving it home. Just like a $3000 downscan/sidescan fishfinder, it's a great tool but it will not put fish in the boat by itself.

you well get a book with it that tells you what temps for what fish and you well be amazed at the differents in the speed of your gps and whats at the ball especially in lake Ontario this year the current is brutal this year.

My catch rate jumped by over 30% since I started using a speed & temp probe on my charter boat. I have used one on Erie, Huron and Ontario for well over 10 years. Like the saying goes "Don't leave home without it"

My catch rate jumped by over 30% since I started using a speed & temp probe on my charter boat. I have used one on Erie, Huron and Ontario for well over 10 years. Like the saying goes "Don't leave home without it"

Wayne & I both have a couple of probes decorating the bottom off Port Glasgow too......ouch!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks