Specklebelly Geese at Long Point

Buddy Boy

Hello Guys,

Has anyone ever seen any Specklebelly Geese at Long Point?

Jerome

PS I just posted the following response under the question about coots.

Hello Dotcom,

The Tundra Swans (TUSW) are still here ... I see about 160 to 180 of them every night and early morning out my back. In fact I hear them all night while I am watching television and then I fall asleep listening to them as they feed all night. They leave about mid morning and return at or after sunset.

There are between 200 and 300 coots out back as well ... yep ... I counted them too!

I also see about 20 to 40 Canada Geese along with a some Redheads, Wigeon and Buffleheads as well as a few Bluebills, Mallards and Ruddy Ducks.

This morning I saw what looked like 2 Specklebelly Geese (smaller than the Canada Geese and brownish grey in colour with a yellowish orange bill) and 2 Green Winged Teal. I see that BSC has documented a few GWT on the lower Great Lakes already.

The Inner Bay is wide open ... just a bit of ice (a few feet) along the shore and in the Port Rowan Harbour.

Jerome

PS I have seen the eagles too ... buzzing the the coots!

Nice to see you are enjoying the advantages of your new residence. I've never seen specklebellies at Long Point but I have seen them well outside of their traditional range in the past.

Saw a couple mixed in with some snows and Blue Geese this fall. The Snowy Owl that was eating a coot in the parking lot of "Norms" yesterday was pretty cool as well. Gotta luv the diversity that Long Point Brings.....true treasure on earth if you stop and watch a moment.

Hello Guys,

A bunch of Ring Necked Ducks (8) were in my backyard (it extends 30 feet into the inner bay) yesterday morning feeding as well and today I saw two Pintail drakes feeding with the coots.

The north shore betwen Booth's Harbour and Turkey Point was "white" with Tundra Swans (TUSW) this afternoon.

Jerome

PS Arnold ... yes ... it is a nice location.
PS LPgar ... I once had a Snowy Owl "attack" one of my Black Duck decoys at Presqu'ile and lifted it off the water about ten feet before releasing it. I have not seen any Snowy Owls here but lots of hawks for the last two years.

Hello Guys,

I have identified more Canvasbacks in the inner bay the last few days than I did during the fall ... although I did see some big flocks that I had suspected were Canvasbacks.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks