sorry

saltybigstick

so sorry to have offended u all with my comments I love everyone come do as u please on my land that I payed for and pay taxes on I have 180 acres west of Harly feel free to truspass where the posted sines r it's ok apparently

They do the same down around Port Rowan. One gang of about 30guys will push every bush they come to even though they are asked to stay off certain farms every year. 2 years ago they took 12 deer out of my uncles posted pasture land.

They do the same down around Port Rowan. One gang of about 30guys will push every bush they come to even though they are asked to stay off certain farms every year. 2 years ago they took 12 deer out of my uncles posted pasture land.
Gee! I wonder ? Hmmmm ? Who could they be , that party around Pt. Rowan . Not referring to the guys who display their catch on the 59 every year . Can't believe a guy that hunted with us jumped ship to join them . Like they needed more guys . Good thing we have other property to hunt also .

Hey guy's totally agree there is a lot of trespassing going on these days you can call the MNR /COPS / buy the time they get out there they are gone this has been going on a long time and in my opinion
you have the hunters and the other side[Landowners] the hunting community is growing bigger every year and a lot of Landowners are misinformed and think that we are cold blooded killers .Now day's you can knock on a 100 doors and might get one spot to hunt and that's there right as landowners but just this year i lost 2 spot's to hunt do to landowner change over 1 said no way and the other one do to the new farmer cut out the only existing forest on his land 4 acres just to make bigger farming land and this is happening all over more and more habitat going to field's .I guess what i'm am saying is that there is no working with today's farmers like it was in the good oh day's and spots are getting very thin to find to hunt and this is not an excuse by all means but i'm thinking this is a big part in the trespassing problem as well the disrespect from some hunters that abuse landowners generosity don't help us out as well. With so many landowners saying no these days and hunters getting frustrated with being denied it will send some hunters into doing this they would take there chances and if caught will just pay the fine and go on to the next spotI just hope that things will change on both sides or there will be no hunting for our kid's/grandkids .

You see that a lot now eh. Most small farms are being sold out to huge farming conglomerates and the people that buy up the severed 1 acre lots are all yuppies.

And most farms I see now are ripping down every wind break tree line, tiling every field to drainage ditches and filling in all the wetlands to grow another 1/4 acre of soybeans.

Southern Ontario will be a dust bowl again if they keep this shit up.

So much for stewards of the land.

That's right WinSX3Tom i have been saying for a while that Ont will be just like Alberta nothing but open field's The comment i made above with the new owner that chopped out the bush
there was a great pond right by the bush was always great for woodies now that pond is gone. I get that same feeling from time to time mick but if i'm ok to be there then i just do it. I'm not against
it at all but i think the big gangs hunting deer makes thing's look bad especially the gangs like what paddle maker was talking about that is crazy and to the untrained eye that can be very intimidating
to some people and these people talk and put out the bad word against us

@mick deer aren't colour blind and in fact they have better colour perception than we do in much of the blue-purple end of the spectrum, which is connected to their night vision capabilities. Their colour perception drops off severely in the orange/red end of the spectrum, which is why hunter orange looks white to them.

And that is your anonymoose factoid for today. Tune in next week when we'll be discussing how a bear wipes his @$$.

-moose

deer see shades of grey throughout the colour spectrum...so yes colour blind.....learned this as a youngster going through the hunter safety course

most importantly is a blaze orange hunting coat is recognized by deer as neutral gray

so for safety sakes wear your hunter orange...

Last edited:
@mick deer aren't colour blind and in fact they have better colour perception than we do in much of the blue-purple end of the spectrum, which is connected to their night vision capabilities. Their colour perception drops off severely in the orange/red end of the spectrum, which is why hunter orange looks white to them.

And that is your anonymoose factoid for today. Tune in next week when we'll be discussing how a bear wipes his @$$.

-moose
I heard the same moose about what color they can see and also something about (and don't quote me ) what you use to wash clothes can sometimes be picked out .

I heard the same moose about what color they can see and also something about (and don't quote me ) what you use to wash clothes can sometimes be picked out .
People should always wear hunter orange when they are suppose to . Too easy to be mistaken for something else especially to the ones with itchy trigger fingers . I remember being in a block once where I really didn't like the setup . A deer popped out along the head land , just in front and to the left of me . I pulled up and swung threw with my gun to get a lead on it and saw orange as I did . I immediately dropped the gun back down . Almost made me sick ,thinking I could of shot somebody . They were way across the field and it was the shotgun hunt and my safety was still on but no deer is worth taking a chance like that on . Now when I get put out there , I sit deeper back in the bush out of their line of site and focus on what's directly in front of me . That same situation could have had them shooting in my direction also which is why I didn't like the setup . I was relatively new to the crew , but learned right then and there that if it doesn't seem right , just do something that does and if they question it later , you can deal with that then . And when we are pushing coyotes the guys in the bush are always wearing orange and you make sure where you hear them coming is where you see them , cause them little bullets fly a lot faster and further than a slug or buckshot .

Some detergents contain UV brighteners which are used to make coloured clothes look more vibrant to the human eye. Since deer have better sensitivity and colour perception in the UV spectrum than humans do, UV brighteners will make you stand out in a deer's eye.

Scent and movement are always the #1 way deer will pick you out, but if you want to improve your odds make sure you use a scentless detergent without UV brighteners on all your hunting clothes.

Some detergents contain UV brighteners which are used to make coloured clothes look more vibrant to the human eye. Since deer have better sensitivity and colour perception in the UV spectrum than humans do, UV brighteners will make you stand out in a deer's eye.

Scent and movement are always the #1 way deer will pick you out, but if you want to improve your odds make sure you use a scentless detergent without UV brighteners on all your hunting clothes.
Yes , that's what i was told from bow hunting buddies and read that like 10/15 years ago and the 2nd point you make , I think is even more important than the first . I have been up close and personal with deer running right at me and stopping as close as 3 feet away . Only reason is scent ( they finally winded me ) . Had a young buck come full tilt and hammer on the brakes behind a tree 6 feet away . He knew something was wrong and froze . I pulled my gun up when his head went behind the tree and waited for the leap of faith . Waited for what felt like forever but was probably only 30 seconds and hoped I didn't blink or I'd miss . Anyway ... touched off as soon as I saw fur in the sights . Caught him in a full superman . Never knew what hit him . Never forget those ones . Funny thing is another guy I hunt with had the same thing happen last year as the deer and him ran into each other . Buddy said he didn't even have enough time to shoulder his gun as the deer leaped up right in front of him . Dropped it in mid flight , but broke his finger while trying to cycle his gun . Yes movement and scent 100% . I don't even wash my clothes in anything special anymore or put them in totes with cedar branches during the shotgun hunt any more as most of the time the scent rule hardly applies . The deer are being pushed and won't necessarily follow the rules of scent anyway . I think things like patterning hunters movements and escape routes and sound seem more important to the educated deer . As the week goes on , the deer definitely get educated fast . Not the same as sitting in a stand quietly ,while your scent settles into the woods around you . Ya .... and it's the shotgun hunt , for those who are beating their chests right now .... mono a mono . It's my thing . I wait 52 weeks and enjoy every bit of it . Rain , snow what ever . To each his own . And no moose . i'm not referring to you . Just waiting for the ones who can't stop whipping that dead horse .

OK, I'll bite, but wow, you shot a animal chased/driven, to you, at under 10 ft, now that's hunting? Must be quite a thrill, I mean all that time and skill you put into your hunt?
There's no need to key board argue here, good luck, be safe? End of the day, were both hopefully eating some venison? BUT, I hunted mine, sound's like your's was walked in front of you.

OK, I'll bite, but wow, you shot a animal chased/driven, to you, at under 10 ft, now that's hunting? Must be quite a thrill, I mean all that time and skill you put into your hunt?
There's no need to key board argue here, good luck, be safe? End of the day, were both hopefully eating some venison? BUT, I hunted mine, sound's like your's was walked in front of you.
Well said!!!! IMO there's no skill involved or enjoyment in that kind of hunting practice! I'm gonna catch flak for that comment I'm sure but different strokes for different folks I guess....I feel like I've said this before lol

No ran lol , but like you said . " who cares " we're eating venison and enjoying ourselves . And bass you have said it before , it's just falling on deaf ears in some cases .

Hunting is in the pursuit of?

Most bow hunters sit on their ass for the whole season getting fat. Lol. Waiting for a deer to walk by.

I was fat before deer season but yeah I did all my scouting and preseason stuff 4 years ago when I bought the place I have permanent stands so the most part it's a 10 min walk and sit and wait but it's all part of it this year I have shot 5 yotties from my stands and 1 little 8 that is very tasty I always take a eater with my wife's tag and sit on mine for the big guy that seams to rub against my ladder when I'm not in my stand and stays 70 yards when I'm in it with my bow

Hunting is in the pursuit of?

Most bow hunters sit on their ass for the whole season getting fat. Lol. Waiting for a deer to walk by.
Thanks Tom . Not to say all bow hunters get fat but I don't really understand the difference . One person walks 10 mins. or 10 miles to a stand or stands to sit there and wait for a deer to come by , which may or may not all season vs a guy who walks for mins . or miles in a day to go to several spots and either push or block deer which may or may not show up in 7 days or with a shotgun or dare we even include a deer camp up north or a guided trip . There are about as many guys I know that bow hunt what ever game because they want meat as ones who want to do it on their own or rack hunters . Some who want to do it on their own because they don't like to share the kill with others or have been on a party hunt and just plain can't get along with other people . They end up quitting the party or getting kicked out . Not to say that the last only happens with bow hunters . I had fun today . Never fired a shot . Only saw one and couldn't get a clean shot . Ethics you know . Something us shotgun hunters don't have . Have to enjoy it while I can as the health isn't the same and may not last . Can't climb trees for the same reason Do what I can . Back out tomorrow .

Back