Some kind of Emergency

Larry Lloyd

A rescue out to White fish Bar to a layout boat and Turkey Point Marsh at Indian Creek Point was just mounted not sure if it's real or not. There are a couple other boats going out there now. Looks like they are collecting the Layout and decoys. Another boat is going to the tender guy in the marsh.

Emergency 012.JPG

All hell broke loose about noon on VHF Channel 16 for two vessels off Indian Point and Deep Hole for duck boats that wouldn't go and were being overcome by adverse weather conditions. Great work by our local FD Water Rescue Teams from the North Shore who responded and resolved the situation quickly and professionally.

Here's is the question that needs to be raised with our local MP Diane Findlay and the Federal Fisheries and Oceans Minister.

Why is every Search and Rescue Station on the Great Lakes closed at this time of year when there are still stakeholders and recreational sports people are still able to get on the water?

Search and Rescue on the Great Lakes after December 1st is non-existent as the seasonal employees have been laid off and the seasonal boats are up on blocks. Funny, the USCG vessels and stations on the south shore are still in service!

The high priced Zodiacs could at least be maintained and staffed until freeze up and if not, at least Norfolk County could commit funds to a decent rescue craft that could be on station for this time of year in one of the Bay area fire stations.

My neighbors down the road get by with wood stove and no hydro except for genny? They both work and are raising 3 kid's? Heart goes out to anyone in trouble on our lakes right now, but expecting a fully manned rescue station mid Dec here in Canada, because one may push the limits, can't see it?
Duck hunting or fishing this time of yr, have a day, and I'm one, but expecting the province to spend $10 to $50 grand or more to per rescue. seem's a stretch?
End of the day, I'm not paying cause you want to catch perch, or shoot a duck this time of yr? Just can't get over a province that is 300 billion in debt, and some expect a water taxi to save them, should a problem arise?

Search and Rescue on Great Lakes is Federal responsibility, not provincial (thank goodness) The OPP's boats are laid up with the rest of them. The 10$K to $50K rescue cost is more than likely tacked on to our Norfolk County tax bill.

I know full well the dangers of cold water as I spent many years bow hunting moose 15 -40 miles up rivers and crossing northern Ontario lakes in a freighter canoe in October. If one ends up in the water in those temps your not coming home and every single year there were hunters who didn't. We had a few close calls and were flat out lucky as there are no rescue units available in the far north to help if you get in trouble. Your chances in December would even be worse so I have no idea why one would chance suicide by venturing out onto the lake at this time of year. Just my 2 cents from experience.

All hell broke loose about noon on VHF Channel 16 for two vessels off Indian Point and Deep Hole for duck boats that wouldn't go and were being overcome by adverse weather conditions. Great work by our local FD Water Rescue Teams from the North Shore who responded and resolved the situation quickly and professionally.

Here's is the question that needs to be raised with our local MP Diane Findlay and the Federal Fisheries and Oceans Minister.

Why is every Search and Rescue Station on the Great Lakes closed at this time of year when there are still stakeholders and recreational sports people are still able to get on the water?

Search and Rescue on the Great Lakes after December 1st is non-existent as the seasonal employees have been laid off and the seasonal boats are up on blocks. Funny, the USCG vessels and stations on the south shore are still in service!

The high priced Zodiacs could at least be maintained and staffed until freeze up and if not, at least Norfolk County could commit funds to a decent rescue craft that could be on station for this time of year in one of the Bay area fire stations.

Is there any information on what problem led to the rescue. Motor freeze up? Its good to understand so that we can prepare ourselves to be safer.

Motor wouldn't start up is what he said. Back out there today so it must have been a quick fix!

Wow cant miss, you complain about a rescue cost yet the billon dollar gun registry seems to be acceptable? There is a risk anytime of the year yep the water is colder but enough people drown in summer and we pay for them so where would you draw the line?

If they went out again today? Wow? All I can say. Wonder if they felt so guilty to the twsp fire rescue folk, who went out on Erie in Dec and risk their lives, and cut them a check for the rescue cost? Stupidity should come with a cost, why should I\ the public pay for a dumb ass move? What if one of those rescue folk's lost their life?
Totally agree the gun reg cost us a lot of wasted money, and who say's I find it acceptable, but how can you compare that, to come save my dumb ass on Erie in Dec?
Easy answer, all need to stop drowning, all year, but heading out in Dec is stupid. Don't run with sissor's, pet stray dog's or play with matches, why should I have to bail their ass's out??

I'm a pretty compassionate guy but if the same fella's headed out today that where rescued yesterday please post their name and phone # as I would like to give them a call and give them a seniors perspective
and my personal opinion.

Thx that's all.

So they called for help, what the hell Is the difference if it was summer or winter and someone died trying to help them, dont respond to domestic calls as they are way more dangerous, if you needed help one day and decided to go out the next who says they will run in to trouble, if your boat motor breaks down one day do you pack it in and say im never going out again cause I could break down, we pay for a ton of shit I dont need but thats life, if you dont like it move.

Not sure on that for summer time. I got stranded with motor trouble and had to call 911 in the summer out of burwell. First time by silver barn, in the afternoon . Tried flagging down other boats, to be ignored, except for one fellow. He was the last guy coming off the lake from Hasting. Second time down by sand hills, no other boats around, got rough and had to call 911. They are there 12 months a year, whether you are on water or land. They are there in case you need it, and they understand the risks when they sign up for the job. Hopefully you don't need them and there is other alternatives for help.

There is/was money in the the budget for a better equipped water/ice craft so we are better equipped to do rescues but it's hard to get them to decide what is best for our needs so it just sits there in the County budget

Thanks for that Jeweller. Must be a concern this time of year running the inflatable Boat #9 thru overnite ice and finding an ice free ramp too.

Has there ever been any thought of the two Bay area fire stations (#9 & #10) having public fundraising events to spear head a drive for a versatile vessel?

Maybe it's time to rattle Councillor Haydt

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks