Solar Trolling Motor Charging

Shank

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows of a somewhat simple solar package for charging a 24V trolling motor system. Boats sitting at the marina with no shore power available. Even a super slow charge would be a better option than what I'm dealing with. I kind of figured Minn Kota or someone would have put out package by now.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I use for my batteries. 12 volt system, not 24 but you might be able to make it work. Picked it up on sale at CTC. It comes with a controller. 🌻

chrgr.jpg

What are you using for batteries? 12vdc in series? Not sure if there even is a 24vdc battery for trolling motors. If this is the case you may have to disconnect the series connection in order to charge. I know there are also 24, 36 & 48 volt solar systems, I just use the 12 volt however.
I'm using solar at my trailer and have been for 12+ years. You'll need a few hundred watts of panels in order to properly charge your batteries. I'd buy a couple 150W rather than many small ones. You'll also want a charge controller that has the MPPT function. These make the most use of the available power. The free inside ones are usually only rated for 105 Watts and they're basically junk, hence why they're free.

What are you using for batteries? 12vdc in series? Not sure if there even is a 24vdc battery for trolling motors. If this is the case you may have to disconnect the series connection in order to charge. I know there are also 24, 36 & 48 volt solar systems, I just use the 12 volt however.
I'm using solar at my trailer and have been for 12+ years. You'll need a few hundred watts of panels in order to properly charge your batteries. I'd buy a couple 150W rather than many small ones. You'll also want a charge controller that has the MPPT function. These make the most use of the available power. The free inside ones are usually only rated for 105 Watts and they're basically junk, hence why they're free.
Yes my trolling motor is 24vdc which comprises of 2 12 voltage batteries in series.

Really hoping to not disconnect terminals whenever I charge. Will keep looking into this topic more for MPPT and all these other requirements.
Thanks for the reply.

This is what I use for my batteries. 12 volt system, not 24 but you might be able to make it work. Picked it up on sale at CTC. It comes with a controller. 🌻

View attachment 59832
Nice setup, had similar on a previous boat. Just don’t park under any walnut trees in the summer and fall. One nut from 30’ up finishes them.

Nice setup, had similar on a previous boat. Just don’t park under any walnut trees in the summer and fall. One nut from 30’ up finishes them.

Works out well, it just sits on the cleaning station up and exposed to any available sunlight.

Remove it for high speed travel. 🌻

Yes my trolling motor is 24vdc which comprises of 2 12 voltage batteries in series.

Really hoping to not disconnect terminals whenever I charge. Will keep looking into this topic more for MPPT and all these other requirements.
Thanks for the reply.
You shouldn't need to disconnect terminals. I have a 24v system with two 12v batteries in series. The two bank charger charges each one separately. No problems with the old lead acid or the LiFePO4 lithium batteries I got last year.

Probably best not to have the 24v system powered on while charging though.

You shouldn't need to disconnect terminals. I have a 24v system with two 12v batteries in series. The two bank charger charges each one separately. No problems with the old lead acid or the LiFePO4 lithium batteries I got last year.

Probably best not to have the 24v system powered on while charging though.
Thanks for this info. Could you clarify your set up for me as I'm also running 2 x 12v batteries in series. Wondered what you use for panels. Do you run from panels to charge controller to the 2 bank charger? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, to clarify, I don't have solar panels, just a 2 bank charger running off shore power. But my point is that it charges each 12v battery separately at 12v, without needing terminals disconnected, even though they are connected in series.

In fact they aren't technically connected in series until I turn the trolling motor on, which closes the 24v circuit. When I press the trolling motor's ON button, it closes the 24v circuit to energize the relay that provides the power to the motor. I think this will be true for most 24v setups, as long as they are not separately powering some other 24v device.

Further, I have in the past wired one of the batteries to power a fish finder up front, so that while I was trolling at 24v it was also drawing 12v from one battery.

So, assuming the likely scenario that your setup is similar, I don't think you would need to disconnect your 24v terminals to connect your solar panels individually to each battery. Of course, someone who is actually an electrical engineer might know better :)

Sorry, to clarify, I don't have solar panels, just a 2 bank charger running off shore power. But my point is that it charges each 12v battery separately at 12v, without needing terminals disconnected, even though they are connected in series.

In fact they aren't technically connected in series until I turn the trolling motor on, which closes the 24v circuit. When I press the trolling motor's ON button, it closes the 24v circuit to energize the relay that provides the power to the motor. I think this will be true for most 24v setups, as long as they are not separately powering some other 24v device.

Further, I have in the past wired one of the batteries to power a fish finder up front, so that while I was trolling at 24v it was also drawing 12v from one battery.

So, assuming the likely scenario that your setup is similar, I don't think you would need to disconnect your 24v terminals to connect your solar panels individually to each battery. Of course, someone who is actually an electrical engineer might know better :)
In my experience you will need to disconnect the batteries IF you're using a 12 vdc solar system because the charge controller will only output 14.2 volts. Not enough for a 24 volt system. I do believe there is a 24 vdc solar charger available but I've never used one. You would probably have to buy solar panels with a higher voltage output as well.
Now if you wanted to run the 2 bank charger without shore power you would need to use a dc to ac power inverter to convert the 12 vdc to 120 ac. You will probably need a "Pure Sine Wave" inverter and not a "Modified Sine Wave". This will cost extra.

You don't need to disconnect the batteries, but you will need 2 solar panels and 2 controllers. One hooked to each battery, positive and negative from one panel to one battery then same with the other 1.

You don't need to disconnect the batteries, but you will need 2 solar panels and 2 controllers. One hooked to each battery, positive and negative from one panel to one battery then same with the other 1.
Have you actually done this?? And it works?? I can't see how, you'd be connecting the + and - of the two different charge controllers to the same connection between the two batteries. Also, one panel for each battery will not charge the batteries completely. Perhaps maintain, but you need way more than one panel each to bring a discharged battery up to fully charged status. Then there's the days with little or no sun, gotta have enough solar panel capacity to be able to charge anyway!!

You can hook as large or as many panels that you need for the power you require, but each battery needs to be hooked up to there own charging system. This is all a two or three bank charger is, just 2 chargers built into 1 box. You can hook both batteries to 1 solar system as well but it will be dividing the charge between 2 batteries and you won't get much of a charge. It's better to go with a separate system for each battery.

You can hook as large or as many panels that you need for the power you require, but each battery needs to be hooked up to there own charging system. This is all a two or three bank charger is, just 2 chargers built into 1 box. You can hook both batteries to 1 solar system as well but it will be dividing the charge between 2 batteries and you won't get much of a charge. It's better to go with a separate system for each battery.
Yes, I agree with most of what you're saying, but can you answer my questions ... have you ever connected two chargers to the same terminal connecting the two batteries together? Do you use solar to charge? I'm interested to know what happens when you connect + & - from the solar charger to a common connection on the batteries, because it doesn't seem right.

I don't use solar but I have a 24v system in my boat now and I have two chargers charging the batteries yes. Even though the batteries are connected in a series to get 24v they are still 12v batteries.

I grabbed a smaller solar powered battery tender at CTC and it kept my boat topped up all last summer

Or just type trolling motor solar charger into Amazon and tons will come up

i have 24v trolling motor .installed minn kota alternater .batterys always fully charged buy time i hit shore.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks