So are Bananas Bad Luck on a Boat.....

Reel Therapy

So, I have always heard the old superstition that Bananas on board a boat are supposed to be bad luck... I never paid much attention to it until yesterday. I had a buddy and his son out yesterday on Lake O. Things started off OK got the rods down, water was perfect and then it happened... they both pulled out a banana and started to eat it. I asked what are they doing having a banana in a boat? They were unaware of the superstition, at that point I only hoped that it was nothing and all that I heard was nothing more than over active imaginations and folklore passed down through generations of sailors.
Shortly after they had their bananas first rod fires with a nice teenager, I was thinking OK all good 10 mins later another nice salmon. Things are good nothing to this superstition.... humm. Well the next 7 fish never made it to the boat I had 2 dipseys get tangled and on the last hit of the day I had a salmon break off 30lbs floro and a spin doctor meathead and broke the snubber. I had had enough and headed in, only to find the ramp a total gong show with "jet ski" people who have no idea what ramp etiquette is all about and feel that it is quite OK to park in the ramp, get their wet suits on, then back the jet ski's in and instead of pulling them to the back of the dock so other people can either put in or take out their boats they tie then right at the edge of the water and ramp. :banghead: Well I had had about of enough of this so I decided I would back my boat in beside the jet skis at the water edge ( I drive my boat on trailer so don'f need to be right beside dock.) I backed in beside the jet skis and waited for him to come back as the skis were wandering a bit and close to my trailer. I waited another 10 mins for him to come down at which time the ramp is still blocked. He comes down waving his arms and pointed at my trailer, well at this point I had had enough. I very quickly gave him an education on ramp etiquette and not the nice one. Once finished with my education session he was quickly getting the jet skis out of my way so I could load. OK thinking all good now off the water heading home... Just around the airport on the 401 I feel this shake and look back only to see my brand new tires blowing apart. A tire change on the side of the 401 and back on road again. Got home had a beer and told my buddies if they ever show up with a banana again the banana may not be the only thing going for a swim.:geek:

So I will ask the question, "Are Bananas on board a bad thing"?

I now know what I think..

Well I think its superstition and just bad coincidence...... would you have turned around if you saw a BLACK CAT on way to launch ????

Fish love and eat Bananas.... I worked on fish farms and scuba dive ...... unbelievable how fish swarm you as you peel a banana back under water....wear gloves ( or don't do it ....lol)

So, I have always heard the old superstition that Bananas on board a boat are supposed to be bad luck... I never paid much attention to it until yesterday. I had a buddy and his son out yesterday on Lake O. Things started off OK got the rods down, water was perfect and then it happened... they both pulled out a banana and started to eat it. I asked what are they doing having a banana in a boat? They were unaware of the superstition, at that point I only hoped that it was nothing and all that I heard was nothing more than over active imaginations and folklore passed down through generations of sailors.
Shortly after they had their bananas first rod fires with a nice teenager, I was thinking OK all good 10 mins later another nice salmon. Things are good nothing to this superstition.... humm. Well the next 7 fish never made it to the boat I had 2 dipseys get tangled and on the last hit of the day I had a salmon break off 30lbs floro and a spin doctor meathead and broke the snubber. I had had enough and headed in, only to find the ramp a total gong show with "jet ski" people who have no idea what ramp etiquette is all about and feel that it is quite OK to park in the ramp, get their wet suits on, then back the jet ski's in and instead of pulling them to the back of the dock so other people can either put in or take out their boats they tie then right at the edge of the water and ramp. :banghead: Well I had had about of enough of this so I decided I would back my boat in beside the jet skis at the water edge ( I drive my boat on trailer so don'f need to be right beside dock.) I backed in beside the jet skis and waited for him to come back as the skis were wandering a bit and close to my trailer. I waited another 10 mins for him to come down at which time the ramp is still blocked. He comes down waving his arms and pointed at my trailer, well at this point I had had enough. I very quickly gave him an education on ramp etiquette and not the nice one. Once finished with my education session he was quickly getting the jet skis out of my way so I could load. OK thinking all good now off the water heading home... Just around the airport on the 401 I feel this shake and look back only to see my brand new tires blowing apart. A tire change on the side of the 401 and back on road again. Got home had a beer and told my buddies if they ever show up with a banana again the banana may not be the only thing going for a swim.:geek:

Yesssssss!!!!

I caught a limit of pics in 30 minutes the other day at the cottage and went on to pound another dozen. Decided to open up my snack bag. First thing I ate was the banana. Then the muffins. I’m not a believer. Sounds like you had a rough day though, they happen!

sorry to read & hear that bad luck Davin..

we had bananas on board and eatin.. courtesy of Capt Charlie fishin off puerto lopez last Nov..didn't make a difference either way waiting for our next fish to crank in..

But hey good luck next time out..

That is definitely a bummer. Worst luck i ever heard of bananas ! Ive seen friends have no problems but I wouldn’t chance it and told a friend never bring them on my boat again after a skunk kind of day. Glad to hear you made it safely home from a tire blow out. As for the jet skier he’s lucky he made it out alive ??
JJ

5946e1f178a3dcd8d86c071f5f799a55.jpg

Only banana story I have is from Lake Huron, about 5 years ago on a salmon charter.

I was eating a banana. My boss was smoking a big cigar. He reached over to shake ashes off, or something, and melted a line, cutting it off. Everything on the other end was lost.

We limited out a group of 6 that day, so idk about the bad luck part...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks