Snap Weights?

singlemalt

With the great walleye numbers the last two years I have no trouble catching fish. I get most on lead-core and dipseys, much less on riggers. From what I read that is pretty consistent with most of us on this forum. However, I am always trying to simplify my setup and put less gear between me and the fish. I have heard that in the western basin snap-weights are widely used but I don't know anyone who uses them in our area.

Has anyone had success with them? If so would you be generous in sharing your experience and set-up?

I used to use snap weights but again to simplify we now attach a `1 or 2 ounce cresent (banana shaped) sinker to a snap swivel on the end of the 16# mainline and then attach our 3 foot worm harness to the other end of the sinker. Now we only have to remove planer board from mainline and not the snap weight.
Hope this helps.

Depending on the day, I just use a bottom bouncer instead of snap weight. I always choose a 3 oz weight, attach main line to it, and then worm harness, let line out, add the planer board. So you basically need to remove the planer board and reel in the fish.

Next, if you want, you can set the release clips not too tight and not behind a pin, so that once the fish is on, you pull the line and the planer is released, and the planer is sliding down the main line. 2 more things here: 1) Add snap on side of the planer and put the line through it so that the board does not get lost when the clips are released and 2) Add a bead before the swivel/snap at the end of the line so that it would keep the board from sliding on the bait.

Alternatives to bottom bouncers are OR16 or that stuff on the picture, with a bullet weight of 3-4 oz. I still clip it as far from the bait as the rod allows. I bought 12 shower hooks in Canadian Tire for $1.99 :), on which I put on those bullet weights. That's pretty much it.

1583245415692.png

Yeah Cam.....we used lead weight systems all the way back in the 1980's. Keel or pencil weights with snaps are still being marketed by Jig-A-Jo and others. I used mostly line weights that hooked and pinched onto your line and released to slide down to a swivel I tied about 3 feet above the lure when a fish hit or was hooked. I don't see them being sold anywhere these days but haven't really looked. Off Shore tackle markets snap weights that that you remove much like their boards when you're bringing in a fish. Anyway they all work and I was also thinking about simplifying walleye strategy this year. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_0550.JPG
    9.5 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I may have used the wrong name by calling them Cressant sinkers. Here is a picture of what I use. The three on the lid. 2oz, 1 1/2, and 1 oz. Just let out more line to go deeper.
Steve in Lambeth carries them.

Attachments

• P1030298.JPG
    P1030298.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 54
  • P1030300.JPG
    P1030300.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 54
I have used snap on weight for Brown's on Lake O early season. But not tried them on Erie yet.

I have used the old delta clip onweights many times for walleye ....perfer them over clip on

I have played around with them a little bit and did have some success. I plan on working with snap weights quite a bit more this year. The key to it just like everything else is fine tuning depth control. There are plenty of charts available online to get started with.
I bought knock off OR16 clips on amazon just to use for snap weights got 8 for around $12
I like the fact it’s pretty much just you and the fish, unlike dipsy’s

I use Lead Zepplins and inline planes with body baits, spoons, harnesses. Takes a bit of experimentation to get the depths dialed in but very effective

In line fish hawks will record max depths.? invest in one and each trip run it a couple times to account for current, waves, and wind, run different direction.. while doing so look for marks. Dial depth in to marks. Snap weights over dipsys, lead, or riggers. Lead in certain scenarios won’t go down, dipsys are way to much work, and riggers on slow days are two close to boat. Just spend the time to dial them in each time it will change your walleye game on Erie.

Amazon.ca .. had all it shipped to my door for under 20$

Attachments

• D6CB0B4B-6589-4BF3-8407-60C49DB07690.jpeg
    D6CB0B4B-6589-4BF3-8407-60C49DB07690.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 49
In line fish hawks will record max depths.? invest in one and each trip run it a couple times to account for current, waves, and wind, run different direction.. while doing so look for marks. Dial depth in to marks. Snap weights over dipsys, lead, or riggers. Lead in certain scenarios won’t go down, dipsys are way to much work, and riggers on slow days are two close to boat. Just spend the time to dial them in each time it will change your walleye game on Erie.

I bought one for 2020 to dbl check my depth formulas.

Can't wait to see how wrong I've been. LOL

I consider myself successful, but I want to try to figure why between 2 "identical" rod setups, why one constantly fires and the other washes the lure.

I consider myself successful, but I want to try to figure why between 2 "identical" rod setups, why one constantly fires and the other washes the lure.
Hopefully it's the one your using
In my case its always the one my wife uses lol
I think about that too when it happens
Maybe the one that fires on the side of the more frequent inside or outside turn ?
Different diameter line ?
Or just pure luck ?
Is one lure newer than the other ? Sometimes the beat up older ones do better
I was also told by some tackle shop owners it's a jinxed rod get rid of it and buy a new one lol
?

Nope it's one my neighbour sets.

Inside port dipsy, #1 dipsy set on 1 appropriate set back for marks .

I can do exactly that same set on starboard and have a great day netting his fish. LOL

Exact same rod, reels, power pro, I make the leaders. He picks the dipsy, the lure and setback.

I match it buuuuuuut. LOL

I control the speed, use autopilot so I don't think starboard is less favoured turn wise.

The above isn't entirely true, there's been multiple dbls and some triples, but that one position puts a hell of a lot of fish in the boat. LOL

Nope it's one my neighbour sets.

Inside port dipsy, #1 dipsy set on 1 appropriate set back for marks .

I can do exactly that same set on starboard and have a great day netting his fish. LOL

Exact same rod, reels, power pro, I make the leaders. He picks the dipsy, the lure and setback.

I match it buuuuuuut. LOL

I control the speed, use autopilot so I don't think starboard is less favoured turn wise.

The above isn't entirely true, there's been multiple dbls and some triples, but that one position puts a hell of a lot of fish in the boat. Lol

Starboard or port side won't make a difference, but if you favor one side more for turns " ie turn port side the dipsy should have a bit less speed than starboard and lose some speed so its rises vs starboard side more speed and go a bit deeper ? "
Well I have to get out to fish I'm going crazy ? and over analyze a simple fact ? Lol
Come on spring!!

50 foot out, attach snap weight. Another 50 out then attach board. This is the 50/50 method. Depth is controlled by the weight. It’s the only method I use with snap weights because it’s simple and I usually run a bit of everything so I don’t like to complicate it.

I assume you have calibrated your reels?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks