Smoking White Bass

Double D

I had read a few posts not long ago about some people smoking the white bass. Just wondering if there are any recipes for a brine or how they smoke them.Love to try some on my new Treager Smoker.

Smoking grass is illegal. Oh bass, we eat them fresh done as perch would be in bread crumbs. Never heard of smoking them, they are a delicate fish, good luck, let us know how they taste.

As big rod says wait till you try them smoked, they are a real treat and you will want to do more.The way i look at it we have our pics and perch for frying , why not treat yourself to something new .

On a trip out of Port Stanley a few weeks ago we started catching nice big silvers and I decided that, based on seeing the fillets for sale at the fish market in Port, I would take a few home & try 'em. I had planned to use the smoker on a couple but wound up cooking all the fillets in the oven using a few different coatings that I had read on here and other fishing forums. Tried some with bread crumbs, some with just seasoning salt or lemon pepper and some with crushed chips over ranch dressing...no one was home but me, so I tried 2 0r 3 types and left the rest for the 'crew'. We all loved it....we enjoy fish especially fresh and we found the nice flaky meat to be delicious and light tasting.
If I get out this weekend I think I will try to bring a few more home for the smoker...I have a Jamaican friend who likes the fish whole & I promised I'd see about doing a whole one up for him....he even likes eating the eyes

Bill

Thanks for all the great replies guys. on the Treager they go.We got some 2lbrs on Sat they were huge.

When i smoke rainbow i make a brine of warm water to dissolve the salt,brown sugar and soy sauce,a splash of tabisco,let brine cool.Also added apple juice say 1 cup.Depending on what you like salty or sweet I personally use 1/2 a cup of salt to a cup of brown suger.Keep skin on fish and put in brineovernight,move fillets around once or twice to get coverage in bowl and use a small plate to submerge fish.Before putting on smoker take out of brine andlay on papertowel,blot most liquid and wait 1/2hour flesh will get a shiney look now its time to put on smoker skin side down on grate.I like hickory wood chips and use a pan or two.Then leave in smoker until you get desired dryness desired,rotate the grates.I have a little chief smoker and have smoked beef for jerky and fish with great results.

Thanks Tcat will give hat a try. i have been using just a dry brine on the trout. Called candied trout. i welcome a change in recipe

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks