Smokin

I also think the basic is best @Phantom. I got this insanely simple but fantastic tasting recipe from a guy in Washington State. He smoked for 40 years using every concoction he could dream up before realizing that less was better to bring out the true natural flavor of the fish, not cover it up. Here's what I now use as well and don't let the simplicity fool you, it's superb especially when using Salmon and Steelhead.

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed. :)

Bill's No Frills Smoked Fish
Brine:

1 gallon filtered water (I use my RO water, don't need the taste of chlorine)
2/3 cup of Kosher salt
1 cup of white sugar
- Put the brine & fish fillets in container and refrigerate overnight 8-10 hours
- Rinse fillets lightly under cold water, pat dry with paper towel then place on oiled racks to dry for 1 hour, tacky to the touch.

Wood:
smoke 2 pans of 3/4 Alder and 1/4 Mesquite
- continue with heat @ 160-175F until desired firmness is attained (approximately 6-7 hours)
I find that when the fillet stops oozing they are just about perfect, not too dry or moist.

My recipe is similar to Wave Runners. 4 to 1 brown sugar to salt. The main difference with mine is it's a dry mix, no water. Just sprinkle the fillets with the mixture and marinate overnight. I usually rotate the fillets a couple of times otherwise they tend to stick together. Also make sure to let the marinated fillets dry for a couple of hours before smoking so they don't crack when done. TC

The fish fix sounds good, I usually smoke about every other week and as some have mentioned I try to keep it basic. I have cut back a bit on the salt with fish which seems to work out okay. For me smoked slabs of peameal are one of my fav's

Attachments

• IMG_20170204_113258347.jpg
    IMG_20170204_113258347.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20151114_173146.jpg
    IMG_20151114_173146.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20150531_195353.jpg
    IMG_20150531_195353.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20170129_085159671_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170129_085159671_HDR.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 54
Smoked bird looks amazing do you brine it overnight?Also curious on smoked peameal if you dont mind sharing your methods for each.Thanks guys

Brined the bird over night, rinsed in the morning and left uncovered in the fridge for a few hours to let the skin dry out. I also cut up an onion, garlic and an apple and tossed it in the cavity. Rubbed with oil, salt, pepper, garlic, brown sugar and a little sage. Smoked at 275 - 300 for about 5 hours. Turned out great. Google a good brine and rub recipe. There's tons.

The peameal is just toss it in and smoke at 250 for 3 hours. Very easy and unbelievably addictive!!

Of course enjoy both with a cold amber coloured beverage!

WOW! .... anybody that's on a diet will "fall off the wagon" mouth first after looking at this yummy thread. :hungry:

IMG_0083.JPG Make a bacon weave then put ground Italian sausage on top with cheese onions and then put some bar b q sauce on top
Roll up tight then add cheese on top
Put in smoker for 6 hours or so

Wow... if I ate the bacon explosion it would be followed quickly by an arterial explosion...:dead:

OMG! You guys obviously have MUCH better cholosterol numbers than do I ...

Mrs. Stomp's comments:

• work of art
  • lattice work is excellent - chef would make a helluva cherry pie
  • bacon - very good looking, even thickness, weaved to perfection
  • excellent distribution of sausage/cheese filling

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks