Off Topic Smoker question

Ross17

Do you think this is a good deal?image.jpeg

I have used this one, I had issues with it feeding pucks 2 at a time, and you need to advance the pucks manually.. so you need to tend to it every 20 minutes...
If you want more automation and set it and forget it get the digital version with autofeed. also these are only 500w, they do make a 1000w one, something you want to consider if you are smoking in the winter

I’m still a fan of the cheaper master builts. The main reason being is that you can use any brand/make/ custom cut wood chips. The Bradley’s dispenser makes you buy their proprietary pucks. We bought the master built digital one (set and go) at TSC years back and it has been fantastic. Anything over that price point and I’d start looking at a traegar smoker or a smaller green egg. Good luck!!

I have had this unit for 5yrs. Works great and is fully automated. Perhaps there was a previous version that did not advance pucks? For the most part, I can load with pucks and walk away for an hour or longer and never have a problem. With exception to one time some extra fatty sausage caught fire..... the smoker still lives though. Also the pucks often go on sale around this time of year at home depot or other places trying to clear out seasonal. The "smart" digital version of this one looks pretty sweet. I believe you can adjust temps from your phone with an app for only twice the price lol. The only downside I have found is sometimes in the winter I have a hard time getting temp up to 200°f. Good luck Ben

I have had this unit for 5yrs. Works great and is fully automated. Perhaps there was a previous version that did not advance pucks? For the most part, I can load with pucks and walk away for an hour or longer and never have a problem. With exception to one time some extra fatty sausage caught fire..... the smoker still lives though. Also the pucks often go on sale around this time of year at home depot or other places trying to clear out seasonal. The "smart" digital version of this one looks pretty sweet. I believe you can adjust temps from your phone with an app for only twice the price lol. The only downside I have found is sometimes in the winter I have a hard time getting temp up to 200°f. Good luck Ben

I have a WSM 22.5, very much affected by cold temps and wind. I added an insulation wrap and a chimney to the lid to fix those isssues..

Now dead of Winter smoking is not affected by outside temps/wind.

Thats a good idea @hvyhaul I'm a little gun shy of having the smoker anywhere the house now due to the great sausage fire of 2017 🔥. So its not getting the shelter from winds it was once accustomed to. I have even considered creating a permanent shelter for storage/ weather. Your idea of a winter jacket of sorts, sounds perfect👌 Time to get those bows out of the freezer.

I have a propane one now which I really like
But I started with a green charcoal one which did some really nice smoking but was really high maintenance
They’re worth the money whichever one you get as long as you use it

I have one of these and a four rack propane one as well. I have not used either since I was given a Camp Chef pellet grill (a lot like a Traeger) as a retirement gift. The beauty of the pellet grill is you can do so much with it. I can smoke as low as 175 and heat it up to over 400 to roast stuff and everything in between with very little monitoring. (hope my wife does not see this...she thinks I need to stand on the deck with a beer the whole time its cooking). The only thing it does not do is get hot enough to grill steaks but it is right beside my propane BBQ so lots of times I move stuff back and forth if I need to grill for part of the time. -

I bought a big old fridge many years ago and converted it to a smoker. When I moved to B.C., I had a local paint it Camo and set it up for duel fuel (propane/electric)... holds a LOT of product and works great! But, the Lady said it looks tacky so after an exchange of opinions, she went to Calgary and bought a Traeger Timberline series. Gotta admit, it looked cool and did a nice job...however, 24 hours after she used it, the bears had a different opinion about her choice of technology. They ripped it to shreds! Traeger wouldn't warrantee bear attacks! lmao! The fridge was attacked many times but never opened and no worse for wear.
With the run starting early this year, the Lady put the fridge to use and has excepted it for what it is...reliable! I am sooo looking forward to her smoked salmon!!!
Since she reads my posts every now and then, seeing how I am doing on the Great Lakes, I figure..."That's all I have to say about that".
Once you get a smoker, the only regret you will have is, you didn't get one sooner!

cheers!

I changed the "thread type" to the new "question" thread type. You can answer the question and/or upvote/downvote other answers. Question threads are one of the features introduced by the new version of the forum software.

I’m not seeing a change in thread type. If I attempt to make a new thread I’m given 3 options. Off topic fishing report or no prefix. Am I missing something?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks