Smoked Salmon

When smoking salmon skin on or off?

• ON

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • OFF

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

dawson29

Hey everyone. This weekend i will be doing my yearly brine and smoke for the holidays. A question I have always asked when doing this is does it really matter leaving the skin on when going through the smoking process. Feel free to add some recipes as I am sure everyone would enjoy see:cool:ing some.
bear catching GIF

I personally remove the skin. I put cheesecloth on the racks. I have only used Winns special brine from the True North food smoker for years. If it's not broke don't fix it. I have never tried anything else

I have always left the skin on because I like the presentation when you can just pull off a piece here and there. Not sure if there is a taste difference or not. I don't smoke mine to dehydrate it I put it out as an appetizer or make smoked salmon salad sandwiches.

You now have two conflicting comments, not much help but I think it is personal preference.

I personally remove the skin. I put cheesecloth on the racks. I have only used Winns special brine from the True North food smoker for years. If it's not broke don't fix it. I have never tried anything else
I never thought of using cheese cloth on the smoker racks. It would certainly keep them cleaner I would think but does it change anything in the taste? Just wondering. :)

I always leave skin on also ,keeps meat together better.Unless iam making salmon candy then i cut strips and peg it with toothpicks.Simple recipe I always cut back on kosher salt 1/4 to brown sugar amount depending on batch size.Soy sauce and hot water to dissolve salt and suger.Let sit until cold then at fish,brine overnight.While fish is sitting on papertowels to dryoff and get the shiney look,I sometimes will brush on maple syrup before putting on smoker.Test to desired dryness,i also use a little chief smoker electric.

Thanks for the responses fellas. Ill try and post a picture of my Indian candy tomorrow afternoon

Skin on for smoked fish, so it does not get dried out,
Skin off for candied or jerky fish as the idea is to dry the fish out.

Here is my brine. Leave in a ziplock overnight. Pat dry and let sit for an hour in the frig before going on smoker. Skin on and on parchment paper. Around 3 hrs at 225.

4 cups water, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/8 cup salt, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup Soya sauce, and 1 table spoon of Lemon juice.

Good luck and enjoy.

This thread should be pinned at the top!

For cold smoke, I always take the skin off as I want to make sure the fish is cured. For hot smoke I leave the skin on; keeps the texture of the fish and the omega3 business in there. All my brines are dry mix of 3/1 brown or regular sugar to Costco's ground pink salt. I also add freshly ground black pepper, paprika, bay leaves etc, whatever I can find.

I am still a newbie and yet to learn the non-dry brines... :)

Alternative to 3/1 sugar/salt, I can do 2/1 and a 2 spoons of maple syrup per ziplock.

I also cold smoke boneless turkey breasts (as a last resort, chicken is ok too but turkey is strongly preferred) and they are a blast too. Throw them in a 3:1 mixture of brown sugar vs salt for 3-4 days in a ziplock and then cold smoke. It is called "basturma" in Russian and many other languages. Some also call it "pastirma". Not to confuse with pastrami, it is a different thing.

On the picture below, cold smoked turkey/chicken breasts on the bottom, rainbow on the left, coho on the right.

I am not sorry if this makes you run to the fridge ;)

1608485245130.png

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks