Off Topic Smoked Rainbow

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I’m not a Rainbow eater but after catching some and giving them away. I kept one to smoke on the pellet grill.
I remember from back in the 80’s catching all those coho off the end of the Point I use to smoke them. It was a simple recipe to do except there wasn’t pellet grills back then.
No brine was involved, take the fillets and wash them and pat them dry. Rub pure maple syrup on the fillets. Then mix up some lemon pepper, garlic salt and some onion salt. Sprinkle the mixture on the fillets.
Now with the pellet grill on low smoke (160 degrees) and after 3.5 hrs internal temp was 145 degrees it was time to remove.
I couldn’t wait for it to cool down to try, so I dug in and after eating half a fillet I’ve come to the conclusion of not giving them away and start smoking them.😂😂
18B97199-6D6E-4DFC-885A-8B27274AFD19.jpegDDB52228-C73D-4A04-AF5F-31C8F0646BD8.jpeg

That sounds really good. I'm going to have to try that.
I use a cup of brown sugar and a cup of coarse salt mixed togther and then rub it onto the fillets and refrigerate for 24 hours then rinse and soak them for about 30 minutes before smoking.
After I take them out of the smoker I baste them with honey and then let them cool.

I was shown a recipe years ago which I have been using for some 35 yrs . Simple recipe too ,only it is a brine . Here it is for your enjoyment. It is all done in 2s 2 Gallons water,2 cups pickling salt,2 cups brown sugar ,then 24 tablespoons real lemon juice ,12 cloves garlic chopped. Let fish brine for 12 to 24 hrs, then place on smoker rack and let drain for half hr. or until it glazes over. I prefer them to be moist. Fire up smoker and place rack of fish on smoker. Slow smoke on low heat ,around 175 to 250 deg for 8 to 12 hrs or until you reach your internal temp of 145 to 160 deg. Let cool and enjoy .

Its funny how so many people don’t like smoked trout…until they eat it and most end up loving it. Make up some trout candy next round for an even tastier treat.

The white boogers can be prevented by letting the fish dry for at least 3-4 hrs to form a pellicle and slowly ramping up the temperature until the smoker is at 160. This seals the fish and allows the smoke to stick better resulting in better tasting and much more appealing fish.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks