Smoked Bass

fishing diva

Has anyone tried cooking small mouth bass or perch in a smoker? If so, would greatly appreciate your brine recipe and length of time etc. Thanks in advance!

4lbs. Of fillets. 3 to 4 qts. of water, 1/2 cup of salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 bay leaves, 1/4 tsp. of black pepper, 1 small onion,chunked, springling of chili powder.
Put ingredients(not fish) in a large potand bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 min. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Place the fishin a non metal bowl and pour the cooled brine over them. Add more cold water if necessary to cover them. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 24 hrs. Rinse the fish off quickly under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Air dry on a cookie sheet for 2 hrs. Smoke in a dry heat smokerfor 5 to 6 hrs. Or 3 to 4 pans os chips. This a recipe from fenwick fishing tackle.

Smoking fish is usually best done with a fatty fish like salmon or trout....I've done salmon lots in my Bradley and it always turns out great! Might not want to smoke bass or perch for 5 to 6hrs like salmon though or you'll end up with jerky being that it's not a real fatty fish...just my two cents though lol. Simple brine that I always use is:

8 cups water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Franks hot sauce

Combine and whisk until dissolved and pour over fish in plastic container for 24hrs.
Remove fish from brine, pat dry and let sit on cooling rack for 2-3hrs on the counter. This will help build the pellicle that's integral to helping the smoke stick to the fish.

Good luck and please post results...I'm interested to know how it might turn out

I threw a couple perch fillets in with my trout the one time Didn't soak it in brine or anything just wanted to try it
Was done really fast
I didn't time it
but it was done quick

In my opinion bass is the best smoked fish going.
Start with a simple brine, salt sugar and water, next time you can some other ingredients to taste.
Smoke it until it is done how you like it(dry, moist in between).
Last time I smoked some ( Canada Day) it was 4 hrs.

Does anyone else substitute a soya sauce seasoning in instead of salt?

I tried that once or twice I think I like it better

You are still funny stomper. I wouldn't smoke them when they are best fried or even baked in butter. Don't tell my GP or wife.

Smoking fish is usually best done with a fatty fish like salmon or trout....I've done salmon lots in my Bradley and it always turns out great! Might not want to smoke bass or perch for 5 to 6hrs like salmon though or you'll end up with jerky being that it's not a real fatty fish...just my two cents though lol. Simple brine that I always use is:

8 cups water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Franks hot sauce

Combine and whisk until dissolved and pour over fish in plastic container for 24hrs.
Remove fish from brine, pat dry and let sit on cooling rack for 2-3hrs on the counter. This will help build the pellicle that's integral to helping the smoke stick to the fish.

Good luck and please post results...I'm interested to know how it might turn out
Thanks so much Bassaholic, that sounds great.

In my opinion bass is the best smoked fish going.
Start with a simple brine, salt sugar and water, next time you can some other ingredients to taste.
Smoke it until it is done how you like it(dry, moist in between).
Last time I smoked some ( Canada Day) it was 4 hrs.
I appreciate the advise. Good to get ingredients from someone who has tryed it before.

4lbs. Of fillets. 3 to 4 qts. of water, 1/2 cup of salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 bay leaves, 1/4 tsp. of black pepper, 1 small onion,chunked, springling of chili powder.
Put ingredients(not fish) in a large potand bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 min. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Place the fishin a non metal bowl and pour the cooled brine over them. Add more cold water if necessary to cover them. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 24 hrs. Rinse the fish off quickly under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Air dry on a cookie sheet for 2 hrs. Smoke in a dry heat smokerfor 5 to 6 hrs. Or 3 to 4 pans os chips. This a recipe from fenwick fishing tackle.
Thanks so much 2Gun for ingredients and instructions....looks like I am going to stay busy....when I'm not fishing.

I found this a few years ago and use it all the time for Salmon and Bow's. Its really good.

Brine

Ingredients: For eight pounds of salmon, trout, sturgeon or other fish

• 8 to 10 pounds fillets, skin on, rinsed, patted dry, cut into small pieces. A good size is about 3″ x 6″, but smaller or slightly larger is fine. Small trout can be cleaned and smoked whole.
  • 8 cups water
  • 2 cups soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sea salt or kosher salt (Do not use iodized salt. It will impart an unpleasant flavor.)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp granulated garlic
  • 1 tbsp ginger
Directions:
  1. Mix brining ingredients together in a large bowl.
  2. Pour mixture over fillets, making sure they are covered, or until they float.
  3. Cover containers and marinate for about 8 hours (or overnight) in the refrigerator.
  4. Remove fillets from brine, pat dry with paper towels, and arrange on racks to dry for about an hour – until a glaze forms on the surface of the fish.
  5. Smoke fish according to your smoker’s directions with alder wood, mesquite, fruit tree or hickory chips. Check occasionally, keeping in mind that air temperature will influence smoking time. Typical smoking times range from 6 to 12 hours. A slightly wet product is best suited for many of the recipes we enjoy and for canning. For straight snacking, a drier product may be preferred.

Thanks Ernie for your recipe, I really appreciate it. Now I just need to catch some salmon and rainbows. More lessons :) Maxie

I found this a few years ago and use it all the time for Salmon and Bow's. Its really good.

Brine

• 8 to 10 pounds fillets, skin on, rinsed, patted dry, cut into small pieces. A good size is about 3″ x 6″, but smaller or slightly larger is fine. Small trout can be cleaned and smoked whole.
  • 8 cups water
  • 2 cups soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sea salt or kosher salt (Do not use iodized salt. It will impart an unpleasant flavor.)
  • 1 tbsp ginger
Directions:
  2. Pour mixture over fillets, making sure they are covered, or until they float.
  3. Cover containers and marinate for about 8 hours (or overnight) in the refrigerator.
  4. Remove fillets from brine, pat dry with paper towels, and arrange on racks to dry for about an hour – until a glaze forms on the surface of the fish.
  5. Smoke fish according to your smoker’s directions with alder wood, mesquite, fruit tree or hickory chips. Check occasionally, keeping in mind that air temperature will influence smoking time. Typical smoking times range from 6 to 12 hours. A slightly wet product is best suited for many of the recipes we enjoy and for canning. For straight snacking, a drier product may be preferred.

Brine

• 8 cups water
  • 2 cups soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp ginger
Directions:

Hey Ernie96----just WHAT is the young lad doing in your avatar?????:p:D

looks suspicious to me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BTW sorry about the hijack:rolleyes:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks