Smarttroll and Trollsmarter

Hey guys

I am getting ready to accept delivery of my new boat, and I have been doing some research on products available these days. While I love my Fish Hawk, I find it is limited to one probe unless I want to buy another kit completely and run two probes at a cost of $1400... and this may not even work as there maybe cross talk from one probe to the other. So I thought about Depth Raiders... a bit crude but would solve my problem... but as I am searching around I came across this

Smarttroll
https://www.smarttroll.com/index.php?route=common/home These are much smaller probes, you can have up to 6 probes all with individual speed, temp and depth readings.... AT THE SAME TIME!. For me, this would be exactly what I always wished for. And you can attach them in line as well as on your down rigger cable. So dipsy diver's depth is no longer a guess!
Has anyone tried these?

Another thing I came across is a much less expensive option to the itroll or Trollmaster
This is a product that is based on the Arduino DIY throttle control found here https://www.instructables.com/Boat-Outboard-Motor-Controller/

Trollsmarter
But it is a canned unit and has all the bugs figured out for you, plus it comes with a remote control, and they have good install videos, all for less than either of the other options.

Has anyone tried this one?
RE: https://www.instructables.com/Boat-Outboard-Motor-Controller/

Kudo to the above poster of the detailed instruction. I Did similar to his plan and its working great for me over the last few years trolling lake Erie.
Great for budget minded fisherperson. cost me $10 CAD. and a piece of 16' cat5 wire i found in the dumpster. All you have to buy on Ebay is a controller $5, a servo $5. total spend $10.
install the variable controller at the driver console, then mount the servo motor just like the poster instruction. ( Test your devices on a bench inside the house 1st, before any actual installation. See my pic . The servo motor will respond exactly how you twist the yellow knob at the console. Servo motor will then turn, and pull the attached wire from the thottle of motor, and voila!! you have your speed adjusted.

Attachments

• 20230127_001921.jpg
    20230127_001921.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 30
RE: https://www.instructables.com/Boat-Outboard-Motor-Controller/

Kudo to the above poster of the detailed instruction. I Did similar to his plan and its working great for me over the last few years trolling lake Erie.
Great for budget minded fisherperson. cost me $10 CAD. and a piece of 16' cat5 wire i found in the dumpster. All you have to buy on Ebay is a controller $5, a servo $5. total spend $10.
install the variable controller at the driver console, then mount the servo motor just like the poster instruction. ( Test your devices on a bench inside the house 1st, before any actual installation. See my pic . The servo motor will respond exactly how you twist the yellow knob at the console. Servo motor will then turn, and pull the attached wire from the thottle of motor, and voila!! you have your speed adjusted.
I modified mine a bit, the 1st season I used a 10 turn potentiometer to give finite control and the 2nd season I added a web page with buttons to control it via wifi on my phone. 1674843032497.png

I modified mine a bit, the 1st season I used a 10 turn potentiometer to give finite control and the 2nd season I added a web page with buttons to control it via wifi on my phone. View attachment 69857
Nice going Rastam4n. Last time i rode my bike and shifted the gear on the shifter. By chance , i have a thought maybe the shifting cable method is the ultimate design. I May switch to remote cable throttle this summer. Will let everyone know the outcome.
brake cable.JPG

I had a Panther T-5 with wireless remote and have now moved over to a Garmin Reactor 40 Kicker. All I can say is I wish I had not cheaped out the first time and bought the Panther. The Garmin is so far superior to anything else i have seen or used.

I just purchased one last Saturday at Radioworld that @RJMP is putting on this week.

I have a unused smarttroll package for sale. PM if interested.
Not very good with my smart phone and this package uses a smart phone.
I have been using the smarttroll for about a month now, and I have yet to get the speed probes calibrated. I think there is a flaw in the app as when I go into the calibration menu it shows a more reasonable #... I will be reaching out to the manufacturer as soon as I have time to do more testing.
Seems my ProKicker was causing some interference, I got that solved but I am still not completely satisfied... I expect it will be a good tool but will take some messing about to get right.

It is a super interesting system with a great amount of info but requires smart phone knowledge I do not have.

No reason you couldn't mount the controller at the stern. My kicker has throttle /shifter at helm that still works with Itroll in use. Itroll over rides throttle so can't slow kicker but you can speed up /shift. Comes in a water proof box so easily mounted beside down riggers if you want. My kicker has a tie bar so it steers from wheel/ autopilot on 90hp main. I don't think Itroll has a remote feature. It's a good throttle control but that's all.
Keep in mind the probes are sealed and when the battery dies the probe is dead and now needs to be replaced.

I have been using the smarttroll for about a month now, and I have yet to get the speed probes calibrated. I think there is a flaw in the app as when I go into the calibration menu it shows a more reasonable #... I will be reaching out to the manufacturer as soon as I have time to do more testing.
Seems my ProKicker was causing some interference, I got that solved but I am still not completely satisfied... I expect it will be a good tool but will take some messing about to get right.
Any more news? Are you happy with the smarttroll probes or would you recommend fishhawk?

Any more news? Are you happy with the smarttroll probes or would you recommend fishhawk?
I have it working and I’m currently somewhat happy with its performance. It did take many software updates and exposure of a bug to get there. I’m also not really happy with the hardware provided to mount the probes. You sort if need to figure out your own way. I lost a probe this week. Unhappy about that. Also. You must charge the probes as soon as you are back in or they may become a challenge to charge.
Nope. Not ready for mainstream now that I list where I’m at.
I cannot recommend this product.

I have it working and I’m currently somewhat happy with its performance. It did take many software updates and exposure of a bug to get there. I’m also not really happy with the hardware provided to mount the probes. You sort if need to figure out your own way. I lost a probe this week. Unhappy about that. Also. You must charge the probes as soon as you are back in or they may become a challenge to charge.
Nope. Not ready for mainstream now that I list where I’m at.
I cannot recommend this product.
Thanks for the review, I appreciate it, certainly helped me make my mind up

They are working with me and working diligently to fix the issues but some challenges such as charging may take a few revisions to solve. When I’m ready to recommend the product I will update here.

On another note. Trollsmarter is absolutely flawless. For the ProKicker the linkage is way superior to anything that panther or itroll has.
I’m impressed with the finite controller I have if the throttle in comparison to using the above options.

I am getting a kicker added this spring and considering trollmaster 2 (wired, no remote). Who is selling it here except amazon? Anybody knows?
I believe I bought mine through West marine. Trollmaster Pro2, works like a charm. Not a single issue in 6 years.

I believe I bought mine through West marine. Trollmaster Pro2, works like a charm. Not a single issue in 6 years.
I ended up getting it through amazon b/ c no one else in Canada that I could find had it. The Yamaha version was the most expensive. I ve used in only three times but really like it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230724-220520.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724-220520.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 10
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks