Small motor tune ups

misty river

Was wondering if you know of somebody that can do tune ups on a 40hp Johnson , it's 23 years old and has run great up till last 2 years , does not run good on full throttle seems to bog down , proctors did the carbs last year and seemed ok but it did it again today when we had it on a small inland lake ?? Any ideas or help , fuel filter changed already as well

Ok that was going to be the next step , I don't use it much since I bought "the Beast" but we do like using our 16 ft tin can for small lakes , sure helps if it runs good though … lol

Was wondering if you know of somebody that can do tune ups on a 40hp Johnson , it's 23 years old and has run great up till last 2 years , does not run good on full throttle seems to bog down , proctors did the carbs last year and seemed ok but it did it again today when we had it on a small inland lake ?? Any ideas or help , fuel filter changed already as well
I had problem like that on my 25 year old Johnson and it was the squeeze ball on the gas line....might help

If you don't find anyone near you and you can take a ride to Selkirk we ( should say Featherstone Ted,) will get that 40 purring or give you some bad news. PM me Misty for details if you wish.

We seem to have trouble starting our boat once on the water. After the engine is shutoff and sits for an hour or so. Seems the primer bulb goes soft. It will start and I don't ever worry, but trying to resolve this myself.

Also if the boat is left during storage with the engine tilted up and the tank connected it will leak fuel from somewhere into the back area(No damage can be done) but the leak is concerning. any suggestions. Its an '86 Johnson/Evinrude

Sounds like the check valve in the ball is letting fuel go back to the tank...could be hard to start for this reason..I carry a spare bulb just in case...

Purchased a new bulb and connection line with fittings , still happening. guessing fuel filter seal is toast.

Find out what is exactly wrong and not guessing otherwise you can spend good money on things that are perfectly fine. I find sometimes a 23 year old engine finally runs like it's 23 years old. Or 28 years old in your case sniper. If I have someone squeeze the ball while I'm turning the ignition and it starts it is definitely the bulb failing. It could be anything electrical or fuel related. Bad power pack, bad stator, worn Woodruff key, phase separation, and, and. Or a 28 year old motor. In engineering it is called sinusoidal failure. Many number of things that fail slightly that eventually meet on the lower ebb of the graph resulting in total failure.

WTP - "if it's available" - shake your head - read the pump

Our Esso guy out here is out of gas 1/2 the time the other 1/2 of the time he only has regular. The other station is a 30 minute drive in the wrong direction. That's what I meant. Why am I explaining myself everyday lately? Feels like I'm at home explaining myself.

I have and old evenrude 18 hp about a 1956 and I use avation fuel in it really likes the fuel still mix it a 40 to 1 and I havnt had no bog at all

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks