skinny walleye/ nanticoke yesterday

chefboyardee

was out off the schoal yesterday in 65 ftw and caught this walleye. the weird thing about it was that there was no meat on the fish had to keep it as it drowned and didnt set off the dipsy. this fish weighed less then 3 pounds buts was at least 24 inches

when i got it home and went to fillet the fish it wasnt worth the time as there was no meat there at all. i subsequently froze the fish and drove it in to dover today and dropped it off at the MNR office after talking to a few people about it.

has anyone else encountered this weird no flesh fish?

thanks for reading this is my first post as i am new to the walleye thing on lake E, as you can tell what the hell is he doing fishing out there this time of year :wtf: just trying to earn the water and believe me no BS theres still fish out there this time of year lake erie .jpg

I have fished for walleye in the grand river for many years now and most fish there are skinnier than normal, but I still get a good fillet of meat off them !!! So your saying this fish is all skin and bones???? It appears to have some meat on it. Did you take pics of the fillets????

I have fished for walleye in the grand river for many years now and most fish there are skinnier than normal, but I still get a good fillet of meat off them !!! So your saying this fish is all skin and bones???? It appears to have some meat on it. Did you take pics of the fillets????

no i didn't , belive me there was nothing on the fillets at all man. there was more meat on a 8 inch perch man it no scars, no marks . no deformities. the meat was also a gray colour very strange

Just a sick fish. Bound to happen. Could have been hooked/injured some how in the past that kept it from hunting/eating well.

We caught a walleye off Nanticoke this summer that looked normal, but when we went to fillet it we found the meat was orange/brown in color and had a weird sandpaper like texture. This was all over the fillets and we had to dispose of the complete fish. Luckily we had done well that day and still had lots of meat from healthy fish. Any idea what this would be?

We caught a walleye off Nanticoke this summer that looked normal, but when we went to fillet it we found the meat was orange/brown in color and had a weird sandpaper like texture. This was all over the fillets and we had to dispose of the complete fish. Luckily we had done well that day and still had lots of meat from healthy fish. Any idea what this would be?[/quote

when i talked to andy at MNR he asked me about the sand paper texture and told me that it was MS

just got off the phone with curt from mnr in dover and he gave me an update on the walleye i dropped off last week

he told me it was Myofibrogranuloma something or other as we laffed at the name of it , this is the first fish he had ever seen with this disease. he had heard of them. he told me that it was prevalent in wisconsin and minnesota and seemed to be from stocked fish. also informed me that it was something close to muscular dystrophy and that it was only present in walleye and not seen in other species. this is a condition and not a parasite or infection . both parent need the gene to pass it on apparently

here is a link i found on the net regarding this disease

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_diseases/myofibrogranuloma.html

cheers rocky

Man that was fast, it takes me longer to get results for a simple blood test from the lab. I think if I need to find out what I have I'll go to the MNR next time...

We caught a walleye off Nanticoke this summer that looked normal, but when we went to fillet it we found the meat was orange/brown in color and had a weird sandpaper like texture. This was all over the fillets and we had to dispose of the complete fish. Luckily we had done well that day and still had lots of meat from healthy fish. Any idea what this would be?

@chefboyardee - that fish @Jwalsh is referring to, I suspect had the same thing your fish did. I'd never seen or heard of that before, did a bit of research and all the signs pointed to that disease -fortunately it doesn't sound common for Erie. Hopefully we caught the only two lol!

A very interesting read. This is certainly valuble information passed down from yourself and the MNR. Glad to see the quick and detailed responce, proving our fish licence dollars are at work.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks