Off Topic Skeg Repair

JustForUs

I did some damage to my skeg on vacation. Was wondering if there is a local in Caledonia area that can reweld the bottom of a skeg?

This place in Hagersville does skeg repair about 20 min. from Caledonia.

That place held on to my prop for two months before saying they were working on it. When I said forget it I'll go somewhere else and asked for it back, they returned it untouched. My boat was out of commission while my prop sat on their shelf collecting dust. I was so furious if they had told me at the start that they were backed up for months I would have just gone elsewhere.

Do you have enough of a skeg left to bolt something like this on?

My friend trolls musky up on Nipissing and he puts one on every motor he gets to prevent damage but they will also work great if you've already got a ding as long as you grind off any rough edges.

SkegSheild just may work... Will check it out. thanks.
I've heard very bad things about these from 2 different guys that had them up on georgian bay.
They worked fine for going very slow and bumping off rocks, but if you hit anything with any speed they tear off and then destroy your prop.
From what I was told, spend the money to fix the skeg properly.
Not worth putting a bandaid fix on it that will cost you a prop too when it snaps off.
Just a warning from what I was told.
Good luck
Lizzy

I hit a rock a couple of years ago up in Georgian Bay, broke the skeg off lower unit of I/O, bent prop shaft etc. I had Don Hyde in Hagersville repair it. They sent it off for skeg repair on the friday, came back the following friday, fixed and painted, looked like new. Luckily insurance covered it.

These guys did a great job on our Honda 40 lower unit. Replaced the skeg to spec. It would be a side job for them. They had props and other odd jobs. We didn't miss a week of boating after hitting a rock boating in the moon river basin area. Uncharted waters...... https://marconmetals.com. A bit of a drive though. Kitchener.

I had Kawartha Prop repair my skeg.
Without hesitation. Perfection.
I dropped lower unit off without prop at don hyde and it was back in a week. Repaired and painted.
I would definately use them again in a heartbeat

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks